What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Avenging Angel (Point Crime)
This topic is about Avenging Angel
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young adult fiction / mystery, early 2000s. Angela investigates her brother's hit-and-run death. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2059 comments I read this teen / young adult book in the early 2000s in the UK. I remember it was about a girl called Angela, whose brother (either twin or older brother) dies, I believe in a hit-and-run accident.

She idolised her brother and I remember her saying at one point that he should have been named Angelo instead of herself being named Angela, because he was the angelic one. However, when she's investigating how / why exactly he died, she finds out things about him that show he wasn't so perfect.

I don't think it is The Ghosts of Now by Joan Lowery Nixon, although the plot is similar - I searched inside this book for Angelo / Angela and got no results. I also have a feeling that the book I'm thinking of is set in the UK, not the US, although I could be wrong.

Thank you in advance for your help!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Avenging Angel seems to have sister investigating brother's (Angelo) death, but her name is Clare. You're sure she was Angela?

message 3: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2059 comments Ayshe wrote: "Avenging Angel seems to have sister investigating brother's (Angelo) death, but her name is Clare. You're sure she was Angela?"

I think you might have cracked it! Originally I was unsure which way round it was - if the sister was called Angela or the brother was called Angelo. Looks like it was published as a Point Crime novel here in the U.K. which seems familiar too. I’ve ordered a second-hand copy so hopefully will be able to confirm in a couple of days. Thank you!

message 4: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2059 comments Ayshe wrote: "Avenging Angel seems to have sister investigating brother's (Angelo) death, but her name is Clare. You're sure she was Angela?"

The second-hand copy arrived, and you're right! On the very first page - 'He would never forgive his mum and dad for calling him Angelo. Didn't they realize what they were doing? It would have been much more sensible if they'd called his sister Clare "Angela".'

Then the rest of the book is from Clare's POV, which must be why I got it muddled in my memory. Thank you!

message 5: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Great that it is found!

Memory does weird things sometimes. I once had some business in a bank and thought the woman working there former classmate but she didn't remember me. After I left the building, I realized that actually I was in the same grade with her bigger brother. Just another memory to cringe about when I think about it :)