Amazon Kindle discussion

Digital formatting.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JR (new)

JR Johnson | 5 comments Occasionally I find character errors or a formatting issue in a book I'm reading. Has anybody else encountered this? Does anybody know if there's a site or email address for submitting potential errors?

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 17, 2009 01:01PM) (new)

Sarah | 43 comments I've seen that too, mostly in old public domain books that were formatted to HTML. It also has an impact on the way the text-to-speech feature works - sometimes it will say the word "period" when it comes to the end of a sentence, or it will think that there are periods in the middle of a word. So, instead of saying "and" it will say "A period N D".

I'd be surprised if they bottherd to fix it in books that are free to download. Was yours one that you actually paid for?

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments sometimes I see a square where a period should be but like the above noter said it's mostly in freebies I see them. If it was in a book I payed for I would contact amazon and let them know about the errors if they are really bad

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i have trouble with authors that put lots-of-words-separated-with-hyphens. the poor kindle can't always figure out how to break up the hyphenated word and the text ends up ugly.

i've also seend quite a few instances where the quote marks don't match, and quite a few instances where italicized text is random - and disquieting.

so far, the worst offenders have been books for which i've paid.

wouldn't mind having an address to which to report these errors!

message 5: by JR (new)

JR Johnson | 5 comments You guys are getting to the core of one of the few issues I have with digital books. I love the Kindle. Because I work with computers all day, I know how easy it is for formatting to get changed or altered along the way from source to destination. I've seen weird characters myself, but the point that Anotherdusty brings up is more important to me; formatting that isn't obvious but changes the way I interpret the prose.

message 6: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments Yup...I have issues when I have the Kindle read to me. It will say "period" for the period at the end of a sentence. It also will sometimes not acknowledge the end of the sentence at all & will read as if the next sentence is actually part of the first sentence with no break at all. If I'm not staring at the words as their read, I would surely be a bit confused.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments I don't think Amazon has a service for submitting errors. They have their own process where they upgrade books based on popularity. So many books may never receive a much needed clean up.

For my own books I used a service that employs programmers with expertise in DTP formatting -- www.kindlewizards.com. If you know authors who need help with their formatting, you might want to recommend a service like this to them.

As for formatting for text-to-speech, I don't rightly know. It may just be a case of Amazon needing to improve their software.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) I have the same problems as above. Words run together most of the time I encounter a problem. Lol, when I was reading "Hunted" by P.C. Cast, the word "pleasure" came out "plea sure" throughout the entire book.

Another instance is where there was a double space between every line.

It's annoying, but it's not so bad that I'd stop reading on it. Most times rather than not, the reading experience is fine.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yea, that's definitely a formatting problem on the side of the author who uploads it onto Amazon. If it really bothered you, the fixes are easy to do, but you said it doesn't so it's not a big problem. :)