Play Book Tag discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archive: Other Books > Circe by Madeline Miller - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited Jul 30, 2018 04:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy D | 3182 comments Circe by Madeline Miller - 4 stars

Fantasy based on Homer’s Odyssey, Iliad, and other ancient texts of Greek mythology, told from the perspective of Circe, daughter of the Titan sun god Helios and Oceanid nymph Perse. Circe was a witch, using a wide variety of herbal potions to transform others. Zeus exiled her to the island of Aiaia, where she lives mostly in solitude, but entertains assorted notable visitors, such as Hermes, her brother Aeëtes, her niece Medea, Jason, Athena, and Odysseus. She plays a role in the lives of The Minotaur, Daedalus, Ariadne, Telemachus, and Penelope.

I enjoyed reading this story. It is woven together beautifully from many noted sources, and I applaud the author for bringing Greek mythology to a wider audience. Miller’s Circe is courageous, independent, and assertive, and her character evolved over time. Circe learns some difficult lessons and adjusts her behavior, becoming more confident. She faces many of the same challenges as a modern woman. The author has a knack for invoking emotion through poignant scenes and her prose is elegant. I particularly enjoyed her descriptions of motherhood, friendship, and the human condition. Her observations about humanity and the god-mortal relationships are thought-provoking and insightful.

The only downsides for me were the length of time it took to grab my interest and a good portion of the plot revolved around re-telling popular myths, which seemed unnecessary. Although not required, having a basic knowledge of Greek mythology was helpful. The author provides a lengthy list of characters and their backgrounds in a section near the end of the digital version of the book. Content warnings include rape, sex, and violence. Recommended to readers that enjoy retellings of the classics, or those interested in an accessible introduction to many of the characters of Greek mythology.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Susie | 4488 comments I loved this book. Girl power!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8277 comments Some of us are going to read it within the next couple of months. I’m really excited for it!

Meli (melihooker) | 3125 comments I have my copy, please don't forget about me for the buddy read ;)

Sushicat | 804 comments I’m halfway through it and really enjoying it.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8277 comments Meli, you are on my list!

Joy D | 3182 comments I look forward to reading your reviews!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review. I'm excited to read this book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Circe (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Madeline Miller (other topics)