South Shore Readers discussion

An American Marriage
This topic is about An American Marriage
Book Club > Discussion: An American Marriage

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1110 comments Mod
Our August pick is the novel An American Marriage by Tayari Jones.

You can RSVP for the meeting here:https://www.goodreads.com/event/show/...

Even if you can't make the event, feel free to post your thoughts about the book here.

Also, it was just announced this week that Tayari Jones will be appearing at the Boston Book Fest this fall.

2 weeks until book club! I have my copy of the book and I am really looking forward to starting it in the next few days. I've heard great things about it.

Joanie | 492 comments Mod
I read it over the weekend. It's super quick, I really enjoyed it!

I started it yesterday. So far so good! I’m surrounded by kid-related distractions/activities so I haven’t really been able to dive into it yet.

Less than a week until book club. It looks like we have quite the expected turnout. Last time there was no problem getting a table but I will still plan on getting there early to get us a spot (just in case!!)

I finished the book yesterday and really liked it. Lots of stuff in there to discuss.

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 127 comments Clearly, I will be in the minority here, but this book is everything I hate about OBC. There is a tragedy in the first 25 pages and the hits just keep on coming. I'm halfway through, but I'm not sure I'll finish. It's certainly well-written, but I absolutely dread opening it up to find out how it's going to ruin my day this time.

Melissa | 133 comments Is your day more ruined by the Oprah endorsement or the ongoing and ever-present existence of Jim Crow?

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 127 comments I don't know how to answer that, but my day was ruined when Roy was convicted, then the next day when his mother died, then the next day when his wife abandoned him, and today when she agreed to marry another man while he still has hope that they are getting back together. I read about 40 pages/day on my lunch hour, and it seems like that is the exact spacing of Roy getting shit on...again. Is that Jim Crow or Oprah?

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 127 comments If you are saying that things are actually going to get even worse for Roy, then I really can't take any more of this book. AND I TOTALLY BLAME OPRAH.

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 131 comments It’s Oprah. As always.

We are inside to the left in the room that’s down one step.