Authors Society discussion

Help requests > Call for Submissions: Health Care Stories Project

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill (bill_campbell) | 3 comments I've dedicated my blog, Tome of the Unknown Writer, this month to Health Care Stories from all over the US and countries with universal health care. I am asking you all to participate. I don't care if the stories are pro or con. I only care that they are honest.

Please join me. This debate is too important to not participate.

bootynovelbill.blogspot.com

Thank you for your time and consideration.

message 2: by A. Colin (new)

A. Colin Wright (acolinwright) | 29 comments I'm originally from Britain, but have been living now for over 40 years in Canada. Hence my health costs have always been covered. Sure, there are problems with health care and with the costs for providing it: the system's not perfect. But I couldn't conceive of being without coverage.

The only time, thank God, I had to have medical service in the USA was after a skiing accident. I was lying on a stretcher with a torn Achilles tendon and the doctor wouldn't even see me without an upfront payment. Fortunately I had enough in my wallet (It was before the days of credit cards) but otherwise what would I have done?

I'm also fortunate in that I had a good plan for drugs from my employer until I retired and, now being over sixty five, I have drug coverage from the province and have to pay only a minimum amount. But what of those who can't afford adequate care? I am only too happy to support them in whatever extra taxes I may have to pay.

A. Colin Wright
www.acolinwright.ca

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles When my father was 94 he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. He was operated on immediately and received all the health care he needed, and didn't spend a penny, thanks to the British national health system. This was the same UK NHS that, according to Sarah Palin and her colleagues, organises 'death panels' for people over 60. If that were the case, my father would have been left to die. As it was, he had another seven years of rich and fulfilling life ahead of him because of the NHS's prompt, and excellent, treatment.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric (chrome) | 2 comments I am a mid level health care provider and have worked in ERs for about the last fifteen years. Regardless what your feelings are on the subject of reform the system is on the verge of collapse. ERs are operating above capacity with volumes unthinkable only five years ago. People are using facilities designed as triage for long term care. This cannot continue.
Physicans, nurses, technicans and therapists are working beyond compentency levels due to sheer numbers.
Anyone who thinks that there is no 'Problem' has no idea what they are speaking of....

message 5: by Eric (new)

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill (bill_campbell) | 3 comments Thanks for your comments. I just posted them on the blog:

http://bootynovelbill.blogspot.com/20...