2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Jessika's August 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessika (last edited Aug 31, 2018 06:52PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Here we go again! I have 3 books in the works that are 50% complete, so hopefully I will have a strong start in August.

Currently Reading
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer So, Anyway... by John Cleese (reading aloud with hubby at bedtime, so this one might take a while)

Plan: Series
Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer

Plan: Other

Completed
The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Heidi by Johanna Spyri Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Dear Martin by Nic Stone Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer The Salmon of Doubt (Dirk Gently, #3) by Douglas Adams Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier A Little Bit Wicked Life, Love, and Faith in Stages by Kristin Chenoweth

Eventually...
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Jul 30, 2018 01:26AM) (new)

Michelle | 2383 comments I admire you reading 3 books at the same time. The only time I really do that is if I am struggling and just want to refresh of something. I also love that you and hubby is sharing a read.

Anyway have a great month of reading.

message 3: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Michelle wrote: "I admire you reading 3 books at the same time. The only time I really do that is if I am struggling and just want to refresh of something. I also love that you and hubby is sharing a read."

Thanks! I often read more than one book at once. But as you can see, they are all vastly different styles and genres, so I don't confuse the plots. :)

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2372 comments Looks like you picked some interesting books. I think John Cleese is hilarious. Hope you enjoy the books!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2383 comments Jessika wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I admire you reading 3 books at the same time. The only time I really do that is if I am struggling and just want to refresh of something. I also love that you and hubby is sharing..."

So that's what I'm doing wrong lol. My reading tend to be very similar . I really should start diversifying more.

message 6: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Robin wrote: "Looks like you picked some interesting books. I think John Cleese is hilarious. Hope you enjoy the books!"

I love John Cleese, too. I'm not very far into it yet, but it is shaping up to be fun and interesting.

message 7: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Michelle wrote: "So that's what I'm doing wrong lol. My reading tend to be very similar . I really should start diversifying more."

Give it a try! Who knows, it might work for you.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4292 comments Mod
Good luck with your books this month, Jessika!
Enjoy :)

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2299 comments That's cool reading a book with your husband! Mine only reads the sports page lol.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10931 comments Mod
Which book are you reading with your husband? That sounds like fun. Does he enjoy the same genres?

Enjoy your reading!

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments I've been struggling with several books going at once. They're from varied genres but I still feel like I'm making little progress in any of them.

Have a great month!

message 12: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Lauren wrote: "Good luck with your books this month, Jessika!
Enjoy :)"

Thanks, you too!

message 13: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Laura wrote: "That's cool reading a book with your husband! Mine only reads the sports page lol."

Haha, my husband has way more hobbies than I do and doesn't always have time to read, but does enjoy it.

message 14: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Jonetta wrote: "Which book are you reading with your husband? That sounds like fun. Does he enjoy the same genres?

Enjoy your reading!"

We're reading So, Anyway... by John Cleese. We enjoy some of the same genres, but less YA than me, and more comics and graphic novels than I read.

message 15: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Veronica wrote: "I've been struggling with several books going at once. They're from varied genres but I still feel like I'm making little progress in any of them.

Have a great month!"

Hmm, well I guess it's not for everyone! Best wishes to you this month, too!

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2549 comments Great books, happy reading!

message 17: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Anita wrote: "Great books, happy reading!"

Thanks, you too!

message 18: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

I just finished The Dive From Clausen's Pier this morning, with only about 20 pages left after feverishly trying to finish last night... It was an ok read, but I'm trying to be more selective about the books I keep long-term, and this is one that I will pass on. 3/5 stars, and it's been on my shelves since around 2010.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 749 comments Have a wonderful month Jessika.

message 20: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Angela wrote: "Have a wonderful month Jessika."

Thanks, you too!

message 21: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

I finished Because of Winn-Dixie today. I picked it because it's so short, and I really need to catch up for the year! It's a sweet story about growth and forgiveness. A good one to read with children aged 8 to 10. It gently addresses hard topics, like single-parent families, alcohol abuse, and bullies.

This one has been on my list since last year, when I started doing my state-by-state challenge. Florida ☑

message 22: by Jessika (last edited Aug 07, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Woohoo, I finished Don Quixote!! I enjoyed it more than I did some of the other classics I read this year. I think I owe this to two things. 1) Listening to an audiobook version with a decent voice actor on 1.5x speed, and 2) Translations do matter! Finding a translation that didn't sound so stuffy was very integral to finishing this book.

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Congrats, Jessika!!!

message 24: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Jonetta wrote: "Congrats, Jessika!!!"

Thanks! :) I'm very proud. But I think I'm done with classics for the year.... Moby Dick, Jane Eyre, A Tale of Two Cities, and Don Quixote, all in one year is GREAT progress for me!

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

That’s excellent and most definitely enough for one year! High school didn’t ask for that much🙂

message 26: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Heidi by Johanna Spyri

I finished Heidi this evening. I'm fairly sure I read it before (or was read to me as a child), but I really enjoyed it. It's a cute little story. The version I read had illustrations on every page.

That's 4 so far this month! A really strong start for me. Though I may have "padded the numbers" a little, because I picked a couple really short books.

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

I’ve never read the book but loved the classic movie.

message 28: by Jessika (last edited Aug 12, 2018 07:42PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

I'm doing really well with non-series reads this month... book #5 was Thirteen Reasons Why. I ended up giving it 3 stars, but really more like 3.5. My dad asked me if I thought it was pro-suicide, because there was some backlash after the Netflix show came out. I wouldn't say it's pro-suicide, but it does deal with real issues as to why someone might not seek out help - she was intimidated by bullying, gossip, and sexual abuse. If you're easily offended/uncomfortable (and I don't mean that in a mean way, just know yourself and your limits), probably stay away from this one, and especially the show. The show was much harder for me to watch that to read the book.

message 29: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Dear Martin by Nic Stone

Listened to the audiobook of Dear Martin on a whim. It's cited as a book similar to The Hate U Give. Overall, I really liked the book and what it was trying to say, but some of it gets bogged down in the style choice the author used for much of the dialogue. I rounded up to 4 stars.

message 30: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer

Finally, moving along in a series, I finished Cress this afternoon. I enjoyed this one a lot, giving it 4 stars. I look forward to finishing off the series this year. Up next is Fairest (book 3.5) on audiobook while I wait out my hold on Winter (book 4).

message 31: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) The Salmon of Doubt (Dirk Gently, #3) by Douglas Adams

I finished The Salmon of Doubt today, which GR lists as Dirk Gently #3. In reality, it is a partially finished Dirk Gently book, along with a collection of interviews and essays, complied after Adams died. I really wish the Dirk Gently story was complete; it was shaping up to be an interesting case!

But since the author isn't around to write more, this counts as a completed series, hooray!

message 32: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer

I finished listening to Fairest today, book 3.5, so yay for more series! I have books 4 and 4.5 left. I'm sure I'll be able to finish this series before the end of the year. Unless I get distracted... ;)

message 33: by Jessika (last edited Aug 23, 2018 04:57AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

I finished Girl with a Pearl Earring yesterday. It's been sitting on my shelves for nearly 10 years because the plot sounded very dull to me. Well, I was right, it was boring. I'm glad to be done with it, and thankfully it was a short book. It was gifted to me, otherwise I would have done away with it years ago. (Or never would have bought it in the first place!)

message 34: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Don't think I'll finish anymore books before the end of the month, so I'll stop here with 10 books completed! I made some progress on my series, too. Really good month for me. :)

message 35: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) A Little Bit Wicked Life, Love, and Faith in Stages by Kristin Chenoweth

Oops, managed to squeeze one more in! I listened to A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages on Scribd, not because I was dying to read it, but because lots of the books on my list aren't getting their licensing renewed until 9/4/18! 2.5/5 stars. It was just ok.