Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Acclaimed since 1950s---Jasper Johns

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments _____________ was born in the south...

Though his childhood included little exposure to art, __________ grew up knowing he wanted to be an artist.

He was drafted into the U.S. Army...then sent to Sendai, Japan. There, he developed a love of Japanese art and culture.

To earn money.... designed window displays for stores like Tiffany's.

___________ had a dream in which he was painting [artwork] This inspired him to create [painting]. _________ destroyed nearly all the art he'd created before this piece because the pieces had been"done with the spirit that I wanted to be an artist, not that I was an artist."

[painting] is just one example of________ presenting a commonly seen object in a new way. This work disrupted the dominance of Abstract Expressionism, and is credited with helping to set the stage for Pop Art and Minimalism.

In his art, ___________ doesn't try to convey a specific message; instead, he prefers that his audience interpret his work and find its meaning themselves. Besides painting, he has worked in sculpture, drawing and printmaking.

____________ was honored with a Presidential Medal of Freedom...

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Jasper Johns or DeKooning?

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments You’re 50% correct :)

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Anyone else want to venture a guess between Geoffrey’s response? One of his is right.

message 5: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments DeKooning was more of an Abstract E. so it would have to be Johns.

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Good point and right answer. It is Jasper Johns.