Obsessed with True Crime discussion

The Crate: A Story Of War, A Murder, And Justice
This topic is about The Crate
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > My true crime debut!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Levison (deborahlevison) | 10 comments I would be honored if you would consider reading my debut book, The Crate: A Story Of War, A Murder, And Justice, an intimate, true story of a grisly crime that involved my family of Holocaust survivors. Back in 2010, we discovered a wooden crate hidden on our property. We were not prepared for its horrific contents! The discovery traumatized my family, especially my fragile parents... it dredged up their terrible memories and forced them to confront evil and violence yet again. This is not your typical true crime; its themes examine domestic violence, terrorism, anti-Semitism, the human capacity for evil, and more. THE CRATE has been selected as a finalist in the 2018 International Book Awards and received a 5-Star Award by Readers' Favorite. I 'd love to hear your feedback. Thank you!

message 2: by Fishface (new) - added it

Fishface | 12699 comments Wow, that sounds like a major story. Going to look into this one for sure.

message 3: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Levison (deborahlevison) | 10 comments Fishface wrote: "Wow, that sounds like a major story. Going to look into this one for sure."

Thanks so much! Please let me know what you think.

message 4: by K.A. (new) - added it

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments Added to my shelf. It's got a really good average rating so far.

message 5: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Levison (deborahlevison) | 10 comments K.A. wrote: "Added to my shelf. It's got a really good average rating so far."

Thank you for that! Have a great weekend.

message 6: by Hari (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:55AM) (new) - added it

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 576 comments Deborah,
I haven't read your book yet, so your comment "This is not your typical true crime", and then go on "its themes examine domestic violence, terrorism, ... etc., etc., which seems to be typical true crime, confuses me.
What makes your book untypical?
HB

message 7: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Levison (deborahlevison) | 10 comments Hari wrote: "Deborah,
I haven't read your book yet, so your comment "This is not your typical true crime", and then go on "its themes examine domestic violence, terrorism, ... etc., etc., which seems to be typi..."

Hi Hari,
Thanks for your interest! In the book I weave together two story lines, about a present-day murder and about my parents' experiences in the Holocaust, telescoping back and forth to the past. I haven't read other true crimes with these narratives.
Best,
Debbie

message 8: by Hari (new) - added it

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 576 comments Hey, Deborah,
I believe the writing style you describe is called braided narrative, among other things. Much of the writing in the "New Yorker" is in this style, and some of my favorite true crime reads come from this magazine.
Another book written in this style is "The Fact of a Body" by Alexandria Marganzo-Lesnevich. And there are others though I can't recall any right now. I think/hope the style will become more prevalent as time goes by.

message 9: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3390 comments Mod
Hari wrote: "Hey, Deborah,
I believe the writing style you describe is called braided narrative, among other things. Much of the writing in the "New Yorker" is in this style, and some of my favorite true crime ..."

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America is written like that. It details the World's Fair in Chicago, and the case of HH Holmes, serial killer in Chicago.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.