New Adult Book Club discussion

The Story of Us (Carnage, #1)
This topic is about The Story of Us
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Lesley Jones Q&A

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments

This week the lovely Lesley Jones is with us. Lesley is the author of the amazing CARNAGE SERIES including The Story of Us, The Story of Me, ]Marley. Conviction, Saviour, Resolution, CowSex plus many more.

Lesley is with us all week taking your questions. Leave your question/s below.

CerysAnne Hey Lesley, I LOVE YOUR BOOKS! Carnage was the first book to ever make me cry my eyes out and have my heart breaking in my chest. My question to you is, what made you want to write a book like this? Not just the break your heart moment, but these characters, the setting, and the overall storyline in general. And if you could (I know this is technically a second question, but I can’t help myself by asking), but have you ever wanted to change something about it, and if so, what? ❤️❤️

message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra Shutters (debrashutters) What inspired you to become a writer?

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (allee5) | 11 comments What is your favourite romance troupe?

Heather❀Kiss The Pages❀ | 272 comments I'm a huge fan and love your books! Cow Sex was a bit different from your usual books I think but I still loved it. Are you planning to write more ROM-COM's?

message 6: by Lana (new)

Lana | 54 comments Hi Lesley!!
How much research do you put into your books? Have you learned anything new as a result?
How much of yourself do you incorporate into your characters? Which one is most like you?

Grey | 40 comments If you had to narrow it down... what are your top 5 favorite books that you've ever read? Thanks for the opportunity!

message 8: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace Worland Who is your absolute favorite character, that you’ve ever written or read?

message 9: by Elle P. (new) - added it

Elle P. Golden | 186 comments I'm a total newbie here, so which book do you suggest for me to read first??

message 10: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments What are you working on now?

message 11: by Shay (new)

Shay | 4 comments How do you distinguish which attributes should go to which characters?

message 12: by Sentranced (new)

Sentranced Jem (sentrancedjem) | 59 comments Who are some of your favourite authors?

message 13: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) CerysAnne wrote: "Hey Lesley, I LOVE YOUR BOOKS! Carnage was the first book to ever make me cry my eyes out and have my heart breaking in my chest. My question to you is, what made you want to write a book like this..."
Thank you so much. I wrote Carnage in 2013 and at the time, every book I read was full of lip biting virginal types and I just wanted to write something different. Something NOT fluffy, NOT full of sex, and NOT set in America. I wanted to write about a flawed heroine who was hard to love but fundamentally, a good person. I never really set out to start the story in the 80's and have it span so many years, that's just the way it happened. I just wanted Sean and Georgia's story to be one that people would never forget.
I've never wanted to change anything about the book, other than I wish I'd been able to afford a professional editor when the book was first published. It's been done now, but I got a lot of bad reviews in the beginning and I'm sorry for the readers who didn't enjoy the book because of the errors. Thankfully most saw beyond all of that and it's now been professionally edited and formatted. Thank you for your question.

message 14: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Debra wrote: "What inspired you to become a writer?"
Hey Debra. I was going through a bit of a rough time in my life and started writing to stop overthinking. I shared my work with a few friends and they prompted me to publish it. That was in 2012 and I'm currently writing book number 12.

message 15: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Amanda wrote: "What is your favourite romance troupe?"
I love angst Amanda. The more angst in a contemporary romance, the better for me.

message 16: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀ wrote: "I'm a huge fan and love your books! Cow Sex was a bit different from your usual books I think but I still loved it. Are you planning to write more ROM-COM's?"
Thank you. Yes, CowSex was my first attempt at a RomCom and a little challenge that I set myself. I'm so bloody proud of that book. I think when I need another break from the angst and high emotion that I usually write, I'll attempt another RomCom.

message 17: by J. (new)

J. (leaj) | 275 comments If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Katherine (emkaybee24) | 107 comments Do you have a favorite comedian?

message 19: by Lesley (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:01PM) (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Lana wrote: "Hi Lesley!!
How much research do you put into your books? Have you learned anything new as a result?
How much of yourself do you incorporate into your characters? Which one is most like you?"

Hey Lana. I do soooo much research! Right down to what the weather was doing in the place and on the day the scene is set. I feature a lot of music in my books and always make sure the songs mentioned were actually out at that time. Technology is another one, especially as the beginning of Carnage is set in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's and things moved so fast during those times, I had to constantly check on what had and hadn't yet been invented.
As for characters, I try to make each one of them different and give them a unique personality, but of course, things like their sense of humour will ultimately be similar to mine because if I don't find it funny, it won't get written.
I think all of my female characters have a little bit of me in at various stages of my life.

message 20: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Grey wrote: "If you had to narrow it down... what are your top 5 favorite books that you've ever read? Thanks for the opportunity!"
The Little Match Girl, Hans-Christian Andersen
Rebecca, Daphne Du Maurier
To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee.
The Fantastic Mr Fox, Roald Dahl.
The Opportunist, Tarryn Fisher.

message 21: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Grace wrote: "Who is your absolute favourite character, that you’ve ever written or read?"
Written, probably Georgia Layton from Carnage. I put that girl through so much.
Read, maybe Professor Gabriel Emerson, (Gabriel's Inferno)again he's a complex character who goes through a lot in his life.

message 22: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) MiDouradoP wrote: "I'm a total newbie here, so which book do you suggest for me to read first??"
If angsty, coming of age rock star romances are your thing, then I'd suggest Carnage.
Older woman, younger man, Saviour/Resolution.
RomCom, CowSex.

message 23: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Nicole wrote: "What are you working on now?"
I'm working on a title called When It Happens To You, due out late October... I'm giving nothing else away.

message 24: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) J. wrote: "If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?"
Probably Cameron King from my Carnage Series. I'd love to know what it's really like to be an Alpha male.

message 25: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Emily wrote: "Do you have a favorite comedian?"
I have a few, Jimmy Carr, Peter Kay, Jim Jeffries... although he's tones his act down since he went to Hollywood.

message 26: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley Jones (lesleyjoneswrites) Shay wrote: "How do you distinguish which attributes should go to which characters?"
I don't, my characters do.

message 27: by Irma (new)

Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer* | 325 comments Which character of yours is your favourite? Thank you <3

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.