Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > September 2018 - Cozy Monthly Nominations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Aug 01, 2018 11:13PM) (new)

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) My nomination is

Death in the English Countryside (Murder on Location #1) by Sara Rosett
Death in the English Countryside by Sara Rosett

-----------------------------

Location scout and Jane Austen aficionado, Kate Sharp, is thrilled when the company she works for lands the job of finding locations for a new film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, but then her boss, Kevin, fails to return from a scouting trip to England. Afraid that Kevin has slipped back into some destructive personal habits he struggles with, Kate travels to England to salvage Kevin’s and the company’s reputation before word gets out that he is missing.

Things go from bad to worse when Kate arrives in Nether Woodsmoor, a quaint village of golden stone cottages and rolling green hills, only to find no trace of Kevin except his abandoned luggage. Even the rumpled, easygoing local scout they consulted, Alex, doesn’t know where Kevin might be.

Increasingly worried about Kevin and with an antsy director waiting for updates about the preproduction details, Kate embarks on a search that includes a pub-crawl and cozy cottages as well as stately country manors. But Kevin remains missing, and she begins to suspect that the picturesque village and beautiful countryside may not be as idyllic as they seem

message 3: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I'm going to nominate one I had previously started reading but got so far behind I put it down for another time... I enjoyed what I did read.

Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1) by Donna Andrews Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews

Three Weddings...And a Murder

So far Meg Langslow's summer is not going swimmingly. Down in her small Virginia hometown, she's maid of honor at the nuptials of three loved ones--each of whom has dumped the planning in her capable hands. One bride is set on including a Native American herbal purification ceremony, while another wants live peacocks on the lawn. Only help from the town's drop-dead gorgeous hunk, disappointingly rumored to be gay, keeps Meg afloat in a sea of dotty relatives and outrageous neighbors.

And, in a whirl of summer parties and picnics, Southern hospitality is strained to the limit by an offensive newcomer who hints at skeletons in the guests' closets. But it seems this lady has offended one too many when she's found dead in suspicious circumstances, followed by a string of accidents--some fatal. Soon, level-headed Meg's to-do list extends from flower arrangements and bridal registries to catching a killer--before the next catered event is her own funeral...

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 262 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I'm going to nominate one I had previously started reading but got so far behind I put it down for another time... I enjoyed what I did read.

Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1) by Donna Andrews [book:Murder W..."

That is a great series!

message 5: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "That is a great series!"

Good to know. I only read a few pages when I put it done saving it for another time. This book has a good star rating 3.9ish. I'm glad it's a good series. I've been looking for a good cozy series to start reading.

message 6: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 108 comments I nominate:

Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat Mystery, #1) by Betty Hechtman Yarn to Go by Betty Hechtman

Dessert chef Casey Feldstein doesn’t know a knitting needle from a crochet hook. But after her aunt dies unexpectedly, leaving Casey to run her yarn retreat business, the sweets baker finds herself rising to the occasion—and trying to unravel a murder mystery…

When Casey finds out that her late aunt’s business, Yarn2Go, has one more yarn retreat scheduled, she decides to go ahead and host the event, despite her complete lack of experience as a knitter. At least the retreat is on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula.

But the idyllic setting is soured when a retreat regular is found murdered in her hotel room. Feeling a sense of responsibility, Casey begins to weave the clues together and detects a pattern which may shed light on her aunt’s suspicious death. Despite the danger, the last thing Casey plans to do is retreat. She’ll catch this killer…or dye trying.

message 7: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2018 09:52PM) (new)

Icewineanne | 655 comments Mod
Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip by M.C. Beaton

The 1st book in the popular Hamish Macbeth series

message 8: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2018 10:03PM) (new)

Icewineanne | 655 comments Mod
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) by Rhys Bowen Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Or

Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #1) by Rhys Bowen Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen

British author Rhys Bowen writes both of these series. Readers seem to really enjoy them. These are the first books in each.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 15 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) by Rhys Bowen Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Or

Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #1) by Rhys Bowen Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen

Bri..."

I would like to second Her Royal Spyness please :)

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Thanks, Dlyn!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.