Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Life of Elizabeth I: 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 28, 2018 10:01PM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir

Life of Elizabeth I, Alison Weir

★ ★

I read this again? What was I thinking?

This was tedious..... I swear Weir is redundant, over & over & over & over the same event...

You can beat a dead horse all you want, but it's just not going to get up & pull your wagon ever again...

I'm thinking this was rather written as a time line, because I was reading all about the Deceits of Mary Stuart and then all of a sudden there are 3-4 other chapters about whatever-it-was.... I think it was marriage plans (again) to d'Anjou.... or some such French Royal son of deMedici, but then changed to his younger brother Alençon... and then back to Mary Stuart (who was a total whack-job)

All the details, minute, important, unimportant..... So where I had originally given this 4 stars, well too bad, so sad, it now has 2.

I realize that Elizabeth had a btch of a difficult childhood & an even more hellacious time when her sister was queen.... But her constant neediness, jealousy, selfishness, prevarication & how she treated those people close to her when they disagreed with her (especially when they were right & just)....

In my belief she was psychologically way past disturbed (narcissistic), but not in comparison to her father or sister.... I do not understand how many times she allowed certain people to betray her before she finally put an end to the betrayals. How she could blame & turn against, those proving just & fair dealings while protecting her...

I will say, as a ruler she did her best for England and her people....

The book was 400+ pages and it felt as if I was reading 365 days x 45 years of information....

I'm still a bit dazed & confused & need to clear my head after this one.... and again, I'm not sure how I could have possibly forgotten I'd already read this... but it had a nice cover picture & in the portrait of her coronation, she looks exactly like her father...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no, I love stuff on monarchies but I have not read Alison Weir. I just looked her up and she has so many! How many of her books have you read?
Great review by the way.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Rachel wrote: "Oh no, I love stuff on monarchies but I have not read Alison Weir. I just looked her up and she has so many! How many of her books have you read?
Great review by the way."

I do not remember how many she's written, that I've read.....

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7226 comments Kimberly wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Oh no, I love stuff on monarchies but I have not read Alison Weir. I just looked her up and she has so many! How many of her books have you read?
Great review by the way."

I do not ..."

I have a read a few of hers. One I really enjoyed was The Princes in the Tower