We Read Stuff discussion

Books of the Month 2018 > Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening - August 2018 GNotM

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Discussion thread for Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening.

Set in an alternate matriarchal 1900's Asia, in a richly imagined world of art deco-inflected steam punk, MONSTRESS tells the story of a teenage girl who is struggling to survive the trauma of war, and who shares a mysterious psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, a connection that will transform them both and make them the target of both human and otherworldly powers.

Don't forget to use spoiler tags where appropriate :)

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) After searching and failing to find my 2nd generation iPad Mini it looks like I'm out. I might visit my local comic shop and see if they have a copy. If they do I'm in.

message 3: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (dezpresso) If you have access to Hoopla through your local library you might check that. That’s how I found my copy.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I've already read it but I'm going to use this as an excuse to do a re-read :)

message 5: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 64 comments I started yesterday, and I'm about 40% done already. For me, this is a first-time-read - I've read the other GNotM of August already.

I like the artwork and the storyline so far, though I can't say I have gotten behind the plot yet. My favourite character is the two-tailed cat x-D

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) Auntie Terror wrote: "I like the artwork and the storyline so far, though I can't say I have gotten behind the plot yet."

The art is great. It's what digital rendering should look like. I mean you shouldn't be able to notice that it's been digitally rendered.

It's quite dense and difficult to read at times. There is this great trick used in manga. When the pace of the story increases, the images become simpler, more scratchy, sometimes they even use the pencil outlines. It makes you read more quickly matching the pace of the story. The story might benefit from less artistic detail but it's still early days. I think I'm maybe 20~30% into it.

message 7: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 64 comments I'm done already. ^^'

@Ian: I didn't find it that hindeing, though you are possibly right concerning reading speed and less detailed pictures. I never noticed in mangas while reading, but now that you mention it, I think I know what you mean.

I really like the who first volume a lot, though the main character suffered from some "overdone" drama in her background story, I feel. But that's an impression I often get. I still am all for Master Ren, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the unfolding overall story line. I read the German edition, so I can't say whether the too modern language was due to author or translator, but that bothered me a bit.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) I walked away.
It's not a reflection on the graphic novel in any way.
Don't really want to go into details but there were some things in there that triggered memories I'd rather forget and I had some horrible nightmares last night.
So it's a DNF for me.

My non-review

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (dezpresso) I’m starting Chapter 2. The artwork is phenomenal, but the content does take a strong stomach. It reminds me a bit of Attack on Titans anime.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) I read this and loved it, but I agree with those who have mentioned it - it's not for those who are sensitive to violence or triggered by such things. I'd recommend it to those who are interested in very dark fantasy series, though - and especially for those who enjoy conflicted anti-heroines like Maika. I thought the world-building and art were so beautiful and engaging, too.

message 11: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (dezpresso) Finished Volume 1 a few days ago. I found myself getting a bit lost between all the 'races'(?), but overall I'm curious to see what happens, and they better not touch that little fox.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) If anyone wants to buddy read vol 2 next month let me know and I'll set up a buddy read thread for it :)