Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Pieces of Her
This topic is about Pieces of Her
56 views
Group Read - Pieces of Her > Group Read - Pieces of Her - General no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Jul 28, 2018 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Karin Slaughter's newest novel releases on August 21, We hope you'll join in the group discussions. No Spoilers on this topic please.
Are you planning on reading the book?


OMalleycat | 1448 comments I think I'll join in, although Slaughter's graphic violence sometimes gives me the heebie-jeebies. But the book description has me intrigued. I've pre-ordered it.


message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Jan O’CautiousCat:
The violence in a Slaughter book can be heebie-jeebie inducing but I usually like her characters enough to offset that.


Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments OMalleycat wrote: "I think I'll join in, although Slaughter's graphic violence sometimes gives me the heebie-jeebies. But the book description has me intrigued. I've pre-ordered it."

I know what you mean, Jan. I still won't touch her series after the first one I read grossed me out to the core, but we read The Good Daughter together and I enjoyed it, and can't think of any overly gruesome parts. I'll be joining as soon as I can get my hand on a library copy, unless I break down and use an Audible credit.


message 5: by OMalleycat (last edited Aug 10, 2018 08:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: ".I still won't touch her series after the first one I read grossed me out to the core, but we read The Good Daughter together and I enjoyed it, and can't think of any overly gruesome parts."

I'm with you on the Grant County series, Carol, but I think it's you and me against the world. I read the first and even the second (because our much missed friend, Gail, sent me an ARC) but couldn't take any more of the violence or Lena. When I gathered rough understanding of a major spoiler before I'd even come close to the book in which it happened, I gave up Grant County.

But I've read and enjoyed all of Slaughter's Will Trent books even with violence and a major whacko very similar to Lena. I think Ann is right: it depends on the characters. In Grant County Sara and Jeffrey were rather mild and reticent. As a foil, Lena far overshadowed them. She and the violence are all I really remember. In the Will series I like Will and I'm interested in his trajectory. I'm also intrigued by his boss. When I think about those books, I remember those two characters, not the violence. Not even really the plots except for Will's continuing struggle with his past and with his disability.

So this is the long way of saying that I'll read Pieces of Her but I always approach Slaughter's books with caution. My hair is still standing on end from reading Blindsighted all those years ago and I want it to return to its natural state some day.


message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Lol Ms O'UnrulyHairStyleCat: Our dear departed Gail got me started on the Grant County books too!
OMalleycat wrote: "I'll read Pieces of Her but I always approach Slaughter's books with caution. My hair is still standing on end from reading Blindsighted all those years ago and I want it to return to its natural state some day.
."



Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: ".I still won't touch her series after the first one I read grossed me out to the core, but we read The Good Daughter together and I enjoyed it, and can't think of any overly g..."

Very interesting take on the difference between the two series, Jan. Thanks for that. If I ever run low on things to read (hah!) I may consider the Will series.

As for your hair, may I suggest a curling iron? ;-)


Kayleigh | 14 comments I am so excited to read this book! I have it preordered so I hope it gets here on time.


message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Kayleigh: I am trying to line up my current books to be able to start it near the release date too!


Kayleigh | 14 comments Me too! I have six books to finish first though!!


message 11: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I am so in for this discussion! I have broken down and used a precious audible credit., to quote Carol. :)


Kayleigh | 14 comments Yay!! My book is in I just have to pick it up.


Kayleigh | 14 comments I picked up my book!! Now just to finish the two books I’m currently reading.


message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Kayleigh: I hope to be able to read it soon too!


Kayleigh | 14 comments I think I’m going to start it!! I don’t think I can wait.


message 16: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I hope to start Monday!


message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I think i can juggle my library due dates and start it early next week!


message 18: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 29, 2018 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Geri wrote: "I am so in for this discussion! I have broken down and used a precious audible credit., to quote Carol. :)"

And I won't have to... my CDs just came in to the library! But I'm only halfway through Strange Weather by Joe Hill, so it will have to wait until Sept. 1 probably.


message 19: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Geri wrote: "I am so in for this discussion! I have broken down and used a precious audible credit., to quote Carol. :)"

And I won't have to... my CDs just came in to the library! But I'm only hal..."


Great! This book is very interesting and generating a lot of discussion. I think you’ll like it.


Kayleigh | 14 comments I hope I’ll like it, I’m having a hard time getting into it.


OMalleycat | 1448 comments Kayleigh wrote: "I hope I’ll like it, I’m having a hard time getting into it."

Is it just not your cup of tea, Kayleigh? For me the first chapters pulled me through with the mysteries on top of mysteries: what motivated the shooting? was there a target and, if so, who? why does Laura seemingly have a personality transformation following the shooting? what's the deal with Andy? what did Laura really do? who's that guy outside the hospital?

I hope you find something that brings you into it. I'd enjoy seeing your comments in the spoiler threads!


Kayleigh | 14 comments I love Karin slaughters style I’ve read pretty much all her other books but for some reason I’m having a hard time getting into it. I’m waiting until I have a day off maybe it’ll be better for me once i can sit down and read more than a couple pages.


OMalleycat | 1448 comments Kayleigh wrote: " I’m waiting until I have a day off maybe it’ll be better for me once i can sit down and read more than a couple pages. .."

Yeah, that could really help. There's so much going on in this story that if you can't read good-sized chunks, it would be hard to get the big picture and become immersed in the story.

And I'm here to tell you it only gets more complex and mysterious as you get further into it.


Kayleigh | 14 comments Well that’s exciting I can’t wait !!


Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments I think I'm far enough along now to venture into the first thread of discussion. Can't quite tell because if there are chapter headings read I don't notice them. But I will say the first few chapters drove me nuts because they were soooooo sloooooowww. But eventual action kept me motivated. I'll say more in the next thread.


message 26: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Carol. Group read books without numbered chapters are a pain to segment. Luckily the first segment summaries will let you go as far as you want to then close your eyes. lol


Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Ann wrote: "Carol. Group read books without numbered chapters are a pain to segment. Luckily the first segment summaries will let you go as far as you want to then close your eyes. lol"

Exactly! LOL. Just went through the first discussion post and I'm a little further along than that. Am proceeding with the next segment with eyes squinted..... ;-)


back to top