The Great American Read discussion

The list, other books, movies > Highest rated GAR books you haven't yet read

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 29, 2018 01:20AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Which of the highest rated books on this list haven't you read?

Which do you most want to read?

I recognize that ratings aren't always the best indicator of quality (see notes in the next post), but they do tell you how much other people liked them.

I'm loving Lonesome Dove so far. I keep looking at The Coldest Winter Ever. I know you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but this one "gives me the shivers" (as Owen Meany would say). Maybe it's the letters that look like sharp teeth.

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Title Avg rating

The Coldest Winter Ever 4.48
Lonesome Dove 4.48
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  (#1) 4.46
The Help 4.46
A Game of Thrones ( #1) 4.45
The Martian 4.4
The Godfather 4.37
The Book Thief 4.36
The Fellowship of the Ring (#1) 4.34
The Stand 4.34
The Hunger Games (#1) 4.33
Another Country 4.31
The Pillars of the Earth 4.3
The Little Prince 4.29
Ready Player One  4.29
Americanah 4.28
Swan Song 4.28
Gone with the Wind 4.28
To Kill a Mockingbird  4.26
Pride and Prejudice 4.25
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn 4.25
And Then There Were None 4.24
Anne of Green Gables (#1) 4.23
This Present Darkness(#1) 4.23
A Prayer for Owen Meany 4.23
The Count of Monte Cristo 4.23
Ghost (Track, #1) Reynolds, Jason 4.22
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (#1) Adams, Douglas 4.21
Rebecca du Maurier, Daphne 4.21
Outlander (#1) 4.21
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) Lewis, C.S. 4.2
Dune 4.2

Notes-
Some of the other books in the series might have higher ratings.

Ratings aren't always the best judge of quality. Challenging books might get lower ratings, but may have greater impact.

Your ratings might differ from someone who is reading their favorite genre

The ratings of books taught in schools may be dragged down by students who were forced to read them.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I've read 14 of them and am currently reading Lonesome Dove. I plan to eventually read The Pillars of the Earth, Count of Monte Cristo, The Book Thief, Pride and Prejudice, and maybe The Godfather and Swan Song. But, I won't be reading them any time soon! Don Qixote is next and it will take me forever.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane I haven't read the top rated book - The Coldest Winter Ever (and had never even heard of it before). Just finished Lonesome Dove (as part of the GAR group read) and loved it.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Diane wrote: "I haven't read the top rated book - The Coldest Winter Ever (and had never even heard of it before). Just finished Lonesome Dove (as part of the GAR group read) and loved it."

Same hear Diane. I'm loving Lonesome Dove, and I never heard of Coldest Winter. I read some reviews. Some described the protagonist as spoiled and unlikeable... like Scarlet OHara... rooted for her anyway..... The book gets great reviews, so I might try it. Scarlet was a characters you loved to hate, but you could see her vulnerability too.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane I just added The Coldest Winter Ever to my To Read list. I liked Gone with the Wind and your comment that the protagonist was like Scarlet O'Hara swayed me! Thanks Nancy.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Diane wrote: "I just added The Coldest Winter Ever to my To Read list. I liked Gone with the Wind and your comment that the protagonist was like Scarlet O'Hara swayed me! Thanks Nancy."

That was the review that swayed me too. I'll try it too!