Horror Aficionados discussion

Audio Group Listens > August 2018 - Group Listen - Final Girls

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments Here we go Aficionados, the August 2018 Group Listen winner is Final Girls by Riley Sager

Final Girls by Riley Sager

Have Fun and don't forget to use spoiler tags!

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 217 comments Already started this audio, will be joining in

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 490 comments Just got this book from the library so it will be a read for me rather than a listen 😊

message 4: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments I cheated and started early. I'm about halfway through and loving it so far.

message 5: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments It started strong, but I'm starting to get a little burnt out on this one. I'm really not finding any of the characters to be likable.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 382 comments I felt the same way Lance. There were a few decent scenes but all in all it was ho hum. I remember thinking this would make for a decent thriller movie but the novel was meh and the twist wasn’t very twisty.

message 8: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments Greg wrote: "I felt the same way Lance. There were a few decent scenes but all in all it was ho hum. I remember thinking this would make for a decent thriller movie but the novel was meh and the twist wasn’t ve..."

I'm almost done and I just want to keep rolling my eyes at the stupid decisions which keep being made.

****Possible Spoiler***

Plot summary:

Literally everyone: "You shouldn't trust this person."
Main Character: [spends entire book trying to figure out if she should trust this person.]

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I got an early start, and am between 1/3 and 1/2 through, and it seems pretty unremarkable so far. I haven't lost interest yet, but it's becoming harder to focus considering I really don't care about any of the characters yet. Not ready to DNF it yet, and will probably finish it on a long drive this weekend.

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 217 comments Finished it. Meh. The prose was fine (as was the narrator), but the characters were flat and the twists... existed. The tone didn't really fit the premise, much more one of the Girl thrillers than a slasher. It did pick up about 3/4 in, but not enough to make it much more than okay.

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 184 comments I listened to it. I think the story has everything to be really good....but it was written very blandly. I didn't like the main character and the plot twists weren't very well built up to. Everything was predictable.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I finished as well. It picked up towards the end for me. Overall I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was not a bad thriller. I just wasn't invested in any of the characters, and that would be ok if they were more interesting, but they were mostly annoying...

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 158 comments My final review:

I've always wondered what happened to the "final girls" after the movie ended and this was a great answer to that. It was part reflection on what happens to someone in that situation and part really great mystery with surprising twists. Well-done!

Also, I'm usually pretty good at predicting the twists but I didn't see any of these coming!