Cozy Mysteries discussion

Donna Andrews
This topic is about Donna Andrews
Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - August 2018 - Donna Andrews

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2018 10:01PM) (new)

message 2: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments I have read all of Meg Langslow series and a couple of Tina Hopper. My go to book is CROUCHING BUZZARD, LEAPING LOON.

message 3: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1163 comments This is one of my favorite cozy authors. I've read the Meg Langslow series up to #20. Next up is Gone Gull. I will read that one next month.
Gone Gull (Meg Langslow #21) by Donna Andrews

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7341 comments So excited that she is the author of the month. I've been wanting to try the Meg Langslow series for a long time and this is the what I need to move it to the top of the list.

message 5: by Sandra J (last edited Jul 30, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I love Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4) by Donna Andrews , but We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow, #5) by Donna Andrews is right up there. I think I'll reread that one.

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Jul 30, 2018 07:12PM) (new)

Melissa Ransom | 5 comments I have read 10 books in the Meg Langslow series. All the books in this series made me laugh. I have a few more books in this series on my library to-read list so may check one out during August to read.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 984 comments I love the Meg Langslow series! Like Melissa said, they always make me laugh -- and count my blessings that my family isn't as crazy as Meg's :)

I really enjoyed her Turing Hopper series too, while it lasted. I was disappointed when it ended after just four books :(

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments The Meg Langslow series is one of my all-time favorites. I'm currently caught up with the series but am first on my library's waiting list for Toucan Keep a Secret Toucan Keep a Secret (Meg Langslow Mystery, #23) by Donna Andrews .

I tried the Turing Hopper series but didn't care for it.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 2 comments This is my first Donna Andrews book (Murder With Peacocks) and I am loving it so far. I really enjoy the mc’s crazy family!

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I just finishedToucan Keep a Secret. It was quite enjoyable. I laughed out loud several times while reading it.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (book_lady15) This was my first time reading Donna Andrews, and I have to say that the Meg Langslow series really underwhelmed me. I found it to be a poor portrayal of people in the South, painting them as shallow gossips. But then, I admit I didn't get through the whole book. Unfortunately, it just wasn't my taste.

message 12: by ☯Emily (last edited Aug 18, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 57517 comments Sarah wrote: "This was my first time reading Donna Andrews, and I have to say that the Meg Langslow series really underwhelmed me. I found it to be a poor portrayal of people in the South, painting them as shall..."

Which book did you read? I did not like the first book in the series, but the series vastly improves with the later books. (I'm weird, but I seldom read the first in the series first. I find they are not usually the best.)

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 132 comments I am at number 11 and I love the series. It was one of my first intro's to cozies. I find Meg's father to be one of the best characters and the family charming and entertaining.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (book_lady15) ☯Emily wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This was my first time reading Donna Andrews, and I have to say that the Meg Langslow series really underwhelmed me. I found it to be a poor portrayal of people in the South, painting..."

I read Murder with Peacocks, the first one. I always find that if I don't like the first one, I don't like any of them.

message 15: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18217 comments Mod
Sarah, I didn't lime the first one much, either, but liked the second a bit more. I started book three, Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos, on the bus into work today, so only two chapters in.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 5 comments Loved the first one!! Starting 2nd one soon.

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 69 comments I loved the first one but didn't like the second one as much. I think I'll give it one more try with a later one.

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo | 13 comments I've read the first 3? (I think?) in the Turing Hopper series, and the first in the Meg Langslow series - both so long ago that I remember very little and would probably need to re-read to get into either series now. Maybe this is a good time to start, although we are nearing the end of August...

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 525 comments Sarah wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This was my first time reading Donna Andrews, and I have to say that the Meg Langslow series really underwhelmed me. I found it to be a poor portrayal of people in the ..."

I actually think that Peacocks is one of the weakest in the series. I'm in the minority on that, but this is one time when I was glad I didn't stop with the first in the series.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 525 comments I love Donna's books. I really enjoyed the Turning series, and I wish we'd get more of her adventures. I read Meg as soon as I can when a new book comes out. While I haven't gotten to the latest yet, I will in early September.

message 21: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18217 comments Mod
I am 30 pages from the end of Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos and I can honestly say I have enjoyed this one much more than the first two.

message 22: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 1638 comments I'm nearly current on the Meg Langslow series. Just waiting to get the latest. Love the books and the characters. I've devoured each one in one sitting, and hope to one day have a chance to read them all again from the start!

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 132 comments Just picked up Swan for the Money - have to finish a couple more before I start this one - great to be reminded about this wonderful author.

message 24: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 286 comments I do love the Meg Lanslow series. Just the right combination of mystery, romance and quirky family relationships.

I've only read the first Turing Hopper book, and it was a while ago, but I remember enjoying it.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ransom | 5 comments I just finished reading Swan for the Money!

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 132 comments Melissa wrote: "I just finished reading Swan for the Money!"

Haven't gotten there yet but it is on the list for this month - one month late - did get it from the library though...

message 27: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1163 comments Finished Gone Gull yesterday. Excellent mystery. Classic village format with a setting at a craft center. Several suspects with plausible motives. And a clever use of "Gone Gull".

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann | 11 comments I really enjoy the Meg Langslow series -- I've most recently read Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon. I read the Turning series many, many years ago but think I'll need to read it again. I can see where the Langslow books might not appeal to all readers, but I enjoy the humor of the books and the sprawling family cast. I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.