Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Tsundoku

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I found this word and thought of share. Should we have an English word for this?

Tsundoku (Japanese: 積ん読) is acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them. The term originated in the Meiji era (1868-1912) as Japanese slang.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments This is like the one word that unites us all and establishes us as a tribe. A far flung tribe - but a tribe none the less.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7240 comments I wish I knew someone Japanese so I could hear how it is pronounced! I love this word!

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Here is the pronunciation

https://www.howtopronounce.com/tsundoku/

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7240 comments Thanks Jason! What a cool site-should have known there would be a web site that did that..

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Perhaps the English translation is “literary hoarder.”

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments Jason, you are a genius. What a find!

Book squirrelling? Doesn’t necessarily imply not reading, mind ...

message 8: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Ha! Funny there's a word!

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I used to be? do? (what part of speech is it?) this. But after moving six times in twenty years, most recently across country, I'm seriously trying to read (or reread) them and pass them on.

Great find Jason!

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments It is a noun.

message 11: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments I am a book hoarder. since I've switched to kindle, I having an extra hard time reading my DTB.

message 12: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments That computer pronunciator has quite an accent... Here are some native speakers saying it:

https://forvo.com/word/tsundoku/

I think the best English equivalent is bibliomania, although it doesn't have quite the same specificity that makes tsundoku such a lovely word.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

My son speaks fluent Japanese. I asked him to say it for me. I love it!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Perhaps the English translation is “literary hoarder.”"

I am most definitely a literary hoarder. I only have two shelves of books I have not yet read but I am working my way through them.:) Bookshelves make my home feel like home. Without them I would be lost I think.

message 15: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments I like to think of myself as a bibliophile rather than a bibliomaniac - but then I look at the piles of books beside my chair and I wonder

message 16: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments I love the quote in the HuffPost article on tsundoku ... ‘Now if only we could come up with a word to describe unread e-books that languish on your Kindle. E-tsundoku? Tsunkindle?’

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Awesome KateNZ. Thanks for sharing that.

message 18: by Karin (last edited Jul 29, 2018 12:32PM) (new)

Karin | 6920 comments Excellent word. This is a good one for most of us, although most of my piles are from the library. However, I do have books I've bought that I've had for some years that I have yet to read.

message 19: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3136 comments I speak Japanese and work at a Japanese company. A coworker was commenting on my "book haul" pics on instagram and used this word, but I had never heard it before. I was surprised to see your post the very next day right after I learned this new word!

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Meli, I promise it's a coincidence. I am not stalking you and eavesdropping on your conversations.

message 21: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3136 comments I love when stuff like that happens though... it is so strange.
Like when you learn about something new (to you) and then keep hearing about it all over the place.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I find it happens all the time especially when reading non fiction about a new topic or reading classical lierature.

message 23: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I think that there is a word for that as well, just don’t know what it is. Learning a new word or fact and then seeing it everywhere.

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is the phenomenon where one stumbles upon some obscure piece of information—often an unfamiliar word or name—and soon afterwards encounters the same subject again, often repeatedly.

I had never heard of that before. Based on this, i will repeatedly hear about it now. Haha.

message 25: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Jason wrote: "The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is the phenomenon where one stumbles upon some obscure piece of information—often an unfamiliar word or name—and soon afterwards encounters the same subject again, oft..."

I've heard about the Baader-Meinhof group, but never of the phenomenon. I wonder if there's a connection

message 26: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself goes over a lot of different cognitive biases- like the 'frequency bias' (same as Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon)

Maybe it went over if it is connected to the German military group? Can't remember.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Joi! You have been on my mind all day today! I thought we might lose you from our threads for a couple of weeks. But it felt important to maybe start a thread for you tonight or tomorrow. But if you disappear for a bit you can check in when you get back. Seriously, you’re all I’ve thought about all day. With other interruptions of course. So lovely to see you here if just for the moment. I’ll save other thoughts for my imminent new thread.