What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > A juvenile or YA novel called "Ghosts"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elfkin477 (last edited Jul 28, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Elfkin477 | 9 comments I read this book between 1988 and 1991. I know the title of the book is Ghosts, and as you can imagine, it's really difficult to find a book with such a common title, even if you narrow your search just to fiction.

As for what I recall of the plot: A young girl, probably between the ages of 11 and 15 moves at the beginning of the story. Perhaps to England? The house is big, and very old. She soon learns that the house is haunted by two children, who are brother and sister, and a bit younger than the protagonist. Before their deaths they were abused by a mean man...maybe they'd been orphaned and he was their reluctant guardian or uncle? I believe they died in a fire. The girl, of course, tries to help them.

The cover was a night scene of the house. The titular ghosts were on the cover - maybe holding hands? - and I think the protagonist was on the cover too. Maybe the mean guy as well.

Sound familiar to anyone?

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4229 comments The Ghosts maybe?

message 3: by Elfkin477 (last edited Jul 28, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Elfkin477 | 9 comments It might be. If it is, it's a different cover than any shown, but one of the covers *does* suggest that the ghost kids died in a fire.

I ordered a copy from one of Amazon's sellers, so I should know for sure in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody Kemble | 31 comments I did a Google image search of The Ghosts. It has had many cover designs since it was first published.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19093 comments Yeah, it's definitely The Ghosts. The kids do die in a fire.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Elfkin477 ~~
Please let us know if you have found your book. The Ghosts does seem a likely solution, but we want to know if it is YOUR solution!
If it is, we'll shelve the book and mark it as Solved.
If it isn't your book, we'll keep looking.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19093 comments Elfkin, did you ever see these messages?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ghosts (other topics)