Wanderlust Challenges discussion

Archive 2018 Misc Challenges > Celebrating International Friendship Day

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2018 09:21AM) (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Celebrating International Friendship Day
August 1, 2018 - September 30, 2018

Let's learn about and celebrate International Friendship Day!
Commercial Photography

IMPORTANT: When signing up for this challenge please include the below info:
❤ The country you live in. And if comfortable, include your state/province or city too.
❤ Your current favorite genre.
❤ A couple of the tasks have participants looking at your profile and bookshelves. If your profile is marked Private, please add if you will accept a friend invite.

Challenge Rules: All forms of books are accepted as long as they are 100 pages or more. When posting updates of completed books, please include a link to the title and author’s name, along with the date you finished reading the book. Please post cover if it is task appropriate. When you have completed the challenge, please copy and paste your entire challenge and re-post in a new message, letting us know it is completed.

❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤.•*¨*•.❤

TASKS

1. International Friendship Day: The United Nations General Assembly declared July 30th as "International Day of Friendship" with the celebration happening on the first Sunday in August. This year's date is August 5, 2018. ❤ Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.

2. Education: The UN’s motivation for the day is for countries to become more aware and accepting of different cultures promoting friendship across the globe. ❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.

3. Friendship Ambassador: In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie the Pooh, the famous cartoon character as the world's Ambassador of Friendship. ❤ Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).

4. India Jumps on Board: India has embraced the UN Friendship Day in a big way. The idea of honoring friends and friendship has really caught on with their youth and most schools have large festivals to celebrate. ❤ Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.

5. National Public Holiday: South America loves Friendship Day and many countries have actually made a national holiday out of it. Though most of the countries celebrate it in July. ❤ Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.

Now for some interactive fun. Let’s get to know our Wanderlust friends a little better.

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common or check out their READ shelf and read a book they have rated 3* or more.

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home or read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.

8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who). ❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. Make sure the chosen book is tagged with the favorite genre on its GR homepage.

message 2: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2019 03:34PM) (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Participants

Allie ~ From Michigan, USA/Classics
✓DONE ~Bev(baglady) ~ From Benton Pennsylvania, USA/Mystery-Crime
✓DONE ~ Book Concierge ~ From Wisconsin, USA/Literary Fiction
✓DONE ~ Bryony ~ From London, UK/Mystery
✓DONE ~ Connie ~ Massachusetts, USA/Romance
Denise ~ From New York, USA/Mystery - Historical Fiction
Claire ~ From Belgium/Thriller
Gabi ~ Texas, USA/YA FAntasy
✓DONE ~ Jan ~ From California, USA/Mystery
✓DONE ~ Jingles ~ Arkansas, USA/Historical Fiction
✓DONE ~ Kathryn ~ From Illinois, USA/Historical Fiction
✓DONE ~Marina H ~ From Denmark/Contemporary
Melanie ~ From Australia/Historical Fiction
✓DONE ~ Olivermagnus ~ From Arizona, USA/Mystery
✓DONE ~ Patrizia ~ From Italy/Cozy Mystery
✓DONE ~ Sunshine ~ From Vermont, USA/Paranormal
Tia Lee ~ From Tampa Florida, USA/Paranormal
Teri-k ~ From Virginia, USA/Historical Fiction

message 3: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2018 07:29PM) (new)

Jan | 12598 comments My Spot! I live in the US in the state of California. And my current favorite genre is Mystery.

Celebrating International Friendship Day
8/8

TASKS

1. International Friendship Day:
Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.
The Fellowship of the Ring | J.R.R. Tolkien 8/3/18****
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien

2. Education:
Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned. Micronesia used to all be territories of the US but through much strife and growing pains they all became independent states with the exception of Guam and Wake Islands. Each state has its own culture and traditions that differ from one another greatly. Micronesian Blues by Cynthia Morris & Bryan Vila 9/19/18***
Micronesian Blues by Bryan Vila

3. Friendship Ambassador:
Read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage.
Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West | Marguerite Henry 8/14/18*****
Mustang Wild Spirit of the West by Marguerite Henry

4. India Jumps on Board:
Read a book where the MC attends school (college): The Life We Bury | Allen Eskens 8/18/18*****
The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens

5. National Public Holiday:
Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday (Valentine's Day): The Valentine Mystery | Kathi Daley 9/22/18****
The Valentine Mystery (Tess and Tilly #2) by Kathi Daley

Now for some interactive fun. Let’s get to know our Wanderlust friends a little better.

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common.
Claire - Book in Common: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine | Gail Honeyman 8/6/18****
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home.
Olivermagnus (Lynda): Arizona: The Sound of Murder | Cindy Brown 8/17/18****
The Sound of Murder (Ivy Meadows Mysteries, #2) by Cindy Brown

8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who). ❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. Make sure the chosen book is tagged with the favorite genre on its GR homepage.
Patrizia (Cozy Mystery): Double Shot | Cindy Blackburn 8/12/18***
Double Shot (Cue Ball Mysteries, #2) by Cindy Blackburn

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 73 comments My name is Claire. I live in Belgium and I have a lot of favourite genres.
Picking one, I’d say thrillers, esp. Scandinavian

0/8

TASKS

1. International Friendship Day: The United Nations General Assembly declared July 30th as "International Day of Friendship" with the celebration happening on the first Sunday in August. This year's date is August 5, 2018. ❤ Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.

2. Education: The UN’s motivation for the day is for countries to become more aware and accepting of different cultures promoting friendship across the globe. ❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.

3. Friendship Ambassador: In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie the Pooh, the famous cartoon character as the world's Ambassador of Friendship. ❤ Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).

4. India Jumps on Board: India has embraced the UN Friendship Day in a big way. The idea of honoring friends and friendship has really caught on with their youth and most schools have large festivals to celebrate. ❤ Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.

5. National Public Holiday: South America loves Friendship Day and many countries have actually made a national holiday out of it. Though most of the countries celebrate it in July. ❤ Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common or check out their READ shelf and read a book they have rated 3* or more.

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home or read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.

message 5: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Welcome Claire & thanks for sharing your info. It is really hard picking a favorite genre...lol.

message 6: by Olivermagnus (last edited Sep 25, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 612 comments I live in the United States and split my time between two states - Michigan in the summer and Arizona in the winter. If I need to choose between them I would say Arizona because that's where I lived for 44 years until I retired. My favorite genre is Mystery.

of 8 Complete

TASKS

✔ 1. International Friendship Day: The United Nations General Assembly declared July 30th as "International Day of Friendship" with the celebration happening on the first Sunday in August. This year's date is August 5, 2018. ❤ Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.
Blue Blooded - Emma Jameson - 8/8/18 - #5 Lord and Lady Hetheridge

✔ 2. Education: The UN’s motivation for the day is for countries to become more aware and accepting of different cultures promoting friendship across the globe. ❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.
The Stranger - Camilla Läckberg - 9/15/18 - about 15% of Sweden lies north of the Arctic Circle

✔ 3. Friendship Ambassador: In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie the Pooh, the famous cartoon character as the world's Ambassador of Friendship. ❤ Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or readb> a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).
Charlotte's Web - E.B. White - 9/21/18

✔ 4. India Jumps on Board: India has embraced the UN Friendship Day in a big way. The idea of honoring friends and friendship has really caught on with their youth and most schools have large festivals to celebrate. ❤ Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.
Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream - H.G. Bissinger - 8/18/18

✔ 5. National Public Holiday: South America loves Friendship Day and many countries have actually made a national holiday out of it. Though most of the countries celebrate it in July. ❤ Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.
Festive in Death - J.D. Robb - 8/5/18 - set during Christmas

✔ 6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common or check out their READ shelf and read a book they have rated 3* or more.
I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith - 8/12/18 - Bryony gave this book 5 Stars

✔ 7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home or read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.
Dressed for Death - Donna Leon - 8/26/18 - set in Italy, where Patrizia lives

✔ 8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who). ❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. Make sure the chosen book is tagged with the favorite genre on its GR homepage.
QB VII - Leon Uris - 8/4/18 - Teri-k is a fan of hisorical fiction

message 7: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Welcome to the fun Lynda!!

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) | 535 comments Wow Lynda, I thought you were going to say you retired tp Arizona, but you did a total opposite by moving to a cold climate.

message 9: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 01, 2018 04:33PM) (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) | 535 comments I'm Kathryn and from Illinois. It's so hard to choose just one genre, but my overall favorite has to be historical fiction.

7/8

TASKS

1. ❤ Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.

She Was the Quiet One Michele Campbell 8/25/18 *****

2. ❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.

A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea Masaji Ishikawa 11/19/2018 **** North Korea I learned that back in the early 60s, Korean who had been living in Japan voluntarily moved to North Korea fter being told by the Japanese government that they would be living in a :paradise" on earth. They soon learned that it was more a "hell" on earth.

3. ❤ Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).

American Ghost: A Family's Haunted Past in the Desert Southwest Hannah Nordhaus 9/24/2018 **

4. ❤ Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.

Then Again, Maybe I Won't Judy Blume 8/7/18 **

5. ❤ Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.

The Christmas Wishing Tree Emily March 9/14/18 *** Christmas of course! Two other holidays though also are represented in this book.

Firefly Lane Kristin Hannah 8/12/18 ***** Marina H.

The First Excellence ~ Fa-ling's Map Donna Carrick 9/3/2018 ** T as in Tia Lee

The Last Mile David Baldacci 8/4/18 **** Claire/Thriller

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I live in the state of NSW, Australia and my favourite genre is Historical Fiction (in particular the Romanovs and the Tudor period.)

Challenge duration:

TASKS

2. Education:
Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.

Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).

4. India Jumps on Board:
Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.

Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.

6. Interactive Task:
Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function.

Read one of the books you have in common or check out their READ shelf and read a book they have rated 3* or more.

7. Interactive Task:
Choose a different participator (tell us who).

Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home or read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.

8. Interactive Task:
Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who).

Read a book from their listed favorite genre. Make sure the chosen book is tagged with the favorite genre on its GR homepage.

message 11: by Patrizia, Contributor (last edited Sep 18, 2018 06:12AM) (new)

Patrizia | 1015 comments I live in Italy. My current favorite genre is Cozy Mystery.

8/8

TASKS

1. International Friendship Day: Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.
Barbara Ross, Iced Under 3 August
Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5) by Barbara Ross

2. Education: Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.
Irish Travellers- Susan Furlong, Splintered Silence 22 August
Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

3. Friendship Ambassador: Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).
Peggy Ehrhart, Murder, She Knit 20 August
Murder, She Knit (A Knit & Nibble Mystery #1) by Peggy Ehrhart

4. India Jumps on Board: Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.
Cynthia Kuhn, The Semester of Our Discontent 18 September
The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Academic Mystery #1) by Cynthia Kuhn

5. National Public Holiday: Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.
Halloween- Kathi Daley, The Halloween House 30 August
The Halloween House (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery Book 4) by Kathi Daley

Olivermagnus: Kendra Elliot, A Merciful Silence 16 August
A Merciful Silence (Mercy Kilpatrick, #4) by Kendra Elliot

Jan (California): Mary Marks, Knot My Sister's Keeper 14 August
Knot My Sister's Keeper (A Quilting Mystery, #6) by Mary Marks

Connie (romance): Terri Osburn, La mia sfida più grande 24 August
La mia sfida più grande by Terri Osburn

message 12: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 612 comments Kathryn wrote: "Wow Lynda, I thought you were going to say you retired to Arizona, but you did a total opposite by moving to a cold climate."

That's exactly rght. The important thing is not to mix up the seasons and accidentally spend winter in Michigan and summers in Arizona!

message 13: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Glad you are joining us Melanie & Patrizia!

message 14: by jingles (last edited Jun 25, 2019 02:04PM) (new)

jingles | 227 comments Image and video hosting by TinyPic

109. WC: Celebrating International Friendship Day
Date: 08/01/18 - 09/30/18
8/8 Completed

WC: Celebrating International Friendship Day

TASKS:
✔1. International Friendship Day:
❤ Read a series book #5.
Death of a Snob|M.C. Beaton|08.11.18|★★★|{Hamish Macbeth #5}

✔2. Education:
❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.
Too Close to Breathe|Olivia Kiernan|08.03.18|★★|{Ireland, and how cold it can get in June.}

✔3. Friendship Ambassador:
❤ Read a book book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage.
Al Capone Throws Me a Curve|Gennifer Choldenko|08.04.18|★★★★

✔4. India Jumps on Board:
❤ Read a book where the MC attends school.
Unsinkable|Debbie Reynolds|08.23.18|★★

✔5. National Public Holiday:
❤ Read a book book whose plot centers around a holiday.
Hercule Poirot's Christmas|Agatha Christie|11.25.18|★★★|{Christmas}

✔6. Interactive Task - Allie:
❤ Read one of the books you have in common.
Death of a Prankster|M.C. Beaton|04.23.19|★★★

✔7. Interactive Task - Jan:
❤ Read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.
Jackie's Girl|Kathy McKeon|06.23.19|★★

✔8. Interactive Task - Olivermagnus:
❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre.
Miami, It's Murder|Edna Buchanan|08.20.18|★★★|{Mystery}
Death of a Snob by M.C. Beaton Too Close to Breathe (Frankie Sheehan, #1) by Olivia Kiernan Al Capone Throws Me a Curve (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #4) by Gennifer Choldenko Unsinkable by Debbie Reynolds Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Hercule Poirot, #20) by Agatha Christie Death of a Prankster by M.C. Beaton Jackie's Girl My Life with the Kennedy Family by Kathy McKeon Miami, It's Murder by Edna Buchanan

☀☀♡☀♡☀☀♡☀♡☀♡☀☀♡☀CHALLENGE COMPLETED 06/23/19☀♡☀☀♡☀♡☀♡☀☀♡☀♡☀☀

message 15: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Thanks for joining us jingles!!

message 16: by Bryony (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 386 comments I’ve been lurking here for a little while without joining a challenge. But this one looks like too much fun to miss so please count me in.

I live in London, UK. I have a lot of favourite genres but at the moment I’m especially enjoying reading mysteries so I’ll list that as my favourite genre. My profile is public though I’m also happy to make new Goodreads friends if anyone wants to send me an invite.

Completed: 29 August

TASKS

✔️ 1. International Friendship Day: Read a book published in July or August
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Completed: 17 August

✔️ 2. Education: Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.
Candide, or Optimism by Voltaire

The author was French and the book takes place on a journey the main characters make which starts in Germany (as it is today) and visits numerous European and Latin American countries.

I learned that a satirical novel written in the 18th century is far funnier and more relevant than I’d expected it to be!

Completed 11 August

✔️ 3. Friendship Ambassador: Read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).
More About Paddington by Michael Bond

✔️ 4. India Jumps on Board: Read a book where the MC attends school.
The Worst Witch Strikes Again by Jill Murphy
Completed: 6 August

✔️ 5. National Public Holiday: Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.
Dancing at Lughnasa by Brian Friel (centres around the festival of Lughnasa which is a sort of harvest festival in Ireland)
Completed: 25 August

✔️ 6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common or check out their READ shelf and read a book they have rated 3* or more.

I read Macbeth which is a book I have in common with Marina H.
Completed: 4 August

✔️ 7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home or read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.

I read The Duchess Of Malfi which is set in Patrizia’s Home country, Italy.
Completed: 19 August

✔️ 8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who). ❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. Make sure the chosen book is tagged with the favorite genre on its GR homepage.

I read The Quiche of Death which is from the genre mystery which is listed as a favourite by Jan.
Completed: 8 August

message 17: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Hi Bryony! I'm glad you took the plunge..welcome!! And have fun :)

message 18: by Bev(baglady) (last edited Dec 17, 2018 01:01PM) (new)

Bev(baglady) (blbaglady) | 239 comments Last Update - 10/25/18

❤ The country you live in. And if comfortable, include your state/province or city too. USA, Benton Pennsylvania
❤ Your current favorite genre. Mystery/Crime
❤ A couple of the tasks have participants looking at your profile and bookshelves. If your profile is marked Private, please add if you will accept a friend invite. I welcome friend requests

TASKS

First Contact (Haunts For Sale #1) by Kat Green First Contact Kat Green 11/07/18 Published 08/11/2014

A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10) by Linda Castillo Linda Castillo 12/14/18 amish- prefer to handle things within their own community and different ways to punish people who do not follow the rules/laws

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Washington Irving 10/17/2018

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng Everything I Never Told You Celeste Ng 10/22/2018

Mr. Dickens and His Carol by Samantha Silva Mr. Dickens and His Carol Samantha Silva 10/25/18

I chose Patrizia
The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) by Jill Shalvis The Sweetest Thing Jill Shalvis 09/02/2018

I chose Sunshine
Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen Bittersweet Sarina Bowen 09/20/18

I chose Jan - Mystery
In Their Footsteps (Tavistock Family, #1) by Tess Gerritsen In Their Footsteps Tess Gerritsen 08/02/2018

message 19: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Jul 29, 2018 05:26PM) (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Great Bev! Have fun :)

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2510 comments I live in the State of New York.
I accept friend requests for this.
My favorite genre is equally two - Mystery/Historical Fiction

TASKS

message 21: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Glad you're joining us Denise!!

message 22: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 327 comments Bryony wrote: "I’ve been lurking here for a little while without joining a challenge. But this one looks like too much fun to miss so please count me in.

I live in London, UK. I have a lot of favourite genres b..."

Yay, I'm glad to see you here :-)

message 23: by Marina H (last edited Dec 29, 2018 09:04AM) (new)

Marina H | 327 comments This sounds like fun :-)
I'm from Denmark. I have some favourite genres but right now I'm reading a lot of contemporary, so lets go with that one.

Date: August 1, 2018 - September 30, 2018
Completed: 8/8

TASKS

1. ❤ Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.
The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot 06/10/18

2. ❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own: Amish
Tvunget til tavshed by Linda Castillo 20/12/18

3. ❤ Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton 01/08/18

4. ❤ Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.
Toms Sawyers eventyr by Mark Twain 11/08/18

5. ❤ Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.: Christmas
Bøn om tavshed by Linda Castillo 23/12/18

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge: Jingles. Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common:
Sarahs Nøgle by Tatiana de Rosnay 17/08/18

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator: Melanie. ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home:Australia
Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty 16/08/18

8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge: Kathryn. ❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre: Historical fiction
Inden vi blev jeres by Lisa Wingate 08/08/18

message 24: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Welcome Marina!!

message 25: by Connie N. (last edited Oct 14, 2018 11:18AM) (new)

Connie N. | 455 comments This is a cute idea, Jan. And, of course, I don't have enough challenges going already!

I live in Massachusetts, USA. My favorite genre is romance.

Timeframe: 8/1/18 to 9/30/18
8/8

1. International Friendship Day - Series book #5 - You Can't Hurry Love by Lee Kilraine - 8/14/18 ♥♥♥♥
You Can't Hurry Love (A Cates Brothers Book, #5) by Lee Kilraine
#5 Cates Brothers

2. Education - Different culture of your own - Odin's Shadow by Erin S. Riley - 9/11/18 ♥♥♥♥
Odin's Shadow (Sons of Odin #1) by Erin S. Riley
This book is about a Viking household. It was fascinating to learn about the mindset of these dominant aggressors who fight first and ask questions later.

3. Friendship Ambassador - Tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage - Mystery of the Brass-bound Trunk by Carolyn Keene - 8/2/18 ♥♥♥♥
Mystery of the Brass-bound Trunk (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #17) by Carolyn Keene
76 readers tagged as YA, 62 readers tagged as Childrens

4. India Jumps on Board - MC attends school - You Will Be Mine by Natasha Preston - 9/18/18 ♥♥♥
You Will Be Mine by Natasha Preston

5. National Public Holiday - Plot centers around a holiday - ThanksgivingThankless in Death by J.D. Robb - 10/7/18 ♥♥♥♥♥
Thankless in Death (In Death, #37) by J.D. Robb

6. Interactive Task - Kathryn, rated it 3 stars, as I did - Books you have in common - Lover's Leap by Emily March - 10/13/18 ♥♥♥
Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4) by Emily March

7. Interactive Task - Sunshine - Title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name - Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs - 10/2/18 ♥♥♥♥
Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs
Title starts with S, like Sunshine.

8. Interactive Task - From their listed favorite genre - MarinaH/Contemporary - Love without a Compass by Lindy Zart - 10/3/18 ♥♥♥
Love without a Compass (A Least Likely Romance) by Lindy Zart
2 readers tagged as Contemporary

****CHALLENGE COMPLETE 10/13/18*****

message 26: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 386 comments Thank you for the welcome Jan!

And Marina, I originally found this group after seeing a link in your profile so thanks for the introduction. :-)

message 27: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Connie N. wrote: "This is a cute idea, Jan. And, of course, I don't have enough challenges going already!

Glad you are adding one more Connie...have fun!

message 28: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Welcome Tia!!

message 29: by Allie (last edited Aug 10, 2018 06:50AM) (new)

Allie | 940 comments Welcome, Bryony!

Where in Michigan do you reside, Olivermagnus? Were you born a Michigander?

I’m staking my place even though I don’t have a way to copy and paste at the moment.

1.) I’m in Plymouth, Michigan, USA.
2.) My fave is either HF or the classics. I haven’t seen that from anyone else so let’s go with Classics and give everyone another option :)
3.) Always up for friend requests from fellow bookworms!

8/1/18 - 9/30/18

message 30: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Welcome Allie!!

message 31: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 28, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1328 comments I live in Wisconsin / favorite genre: Literary fiction (or literature)

Begins: 01Aug18 / Ends: 30Sept18

8 / 8 completed

1. International Friendship Day . ❤ Read a book published in July or August - First published Aug 1965 - Up the Down Staircase ✔ – 18Aug18

2. Education ❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own - Village in the Andes learned a few things pertaining to surviving in a jungle environment - The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzmán ✔ – 16Aug18

3. Friendship Ambassador ❤ Read a book that is tagged CHILDREN on its GR Homepage - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm ✔ – 28Aug18

4. India Jumps on Board. ❤ Read a book where the MC attends school - Julia is in finishing school in The Pearl Thief ✔ – 28Aug18

5. National Public Holiday ❤ Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday. - Thanksgiving and Christmas - The Iced Princess ✔ - 27Oct18

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common or check out their READ shelf and read a book they have rated 3* or more. - Olivermagnus rated this 5***** - Ordinary Grace ✔ – 29Aug18

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home - Patrizia is from Italy - My Italian Bulldozer ✔ – 03Aug18

8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who). ❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. Make sure the chosen book is tagged with the favorite genre on its GR homepage - Jan's favorite genre MYSTERY - The Diva Serves High Tea ✔ - 07Aug18

message 32: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Have fun BC!

message 33: by Sunshine✰✰✰ (last edited Sep 12, 2018 12:56PM) (new)

Sunshine✰✰✰ | 114 comments This is great! I live in Vermont USA and I love to read Paranormal books.

Duration: Aug 1 - Sept 30, 2018
Progress: 8/8

1. International Friendship Day: The United Nations General Assembly declared July 30th as "International Day of Friendship" with the celebration happening on the first Sunday in August. This year's date is August 5, 2018.
❤ Read a book published in July
Accidentally Dead by Dakota Cassidy 8/16/18

2. Education: The UN’s motivation for the day is for countries to become more aware and accepting of different cultures promoting friendship across the globe.
❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own. - Ireland, Mythology
Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy by Andrew M. Greeley 8/18/18

3. Friendship Ambassador: In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie the Pooh, the famous cartoon character as the world's Ambassador of Friendship.
❤ Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH
House Beneath the Bridge by Iain Rob Wright 8/9/18

4. India Jumps on Board: India has embraced the UN Friendship Day in a big way. The idea of honoring friends and friendship has really caught on with their youth and most schools have large festivals to celebrate.
Focus by Alyssa Rose Ivy 8/8/18

5. National Public Holiday: South America loves Friendship Day and many countries have actually made a national holiday out of it. Though most of the countries celebrate it in July.
❤ Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday. The book has 3 stories, each around a different holiday. Halloween, Christmas & Valentine's Day
The Magical Curiosity Shoppe by Ani Gonzalez 8/7/18

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function.
❤ Read a book they have rated 3* or more. - Allie, Rated 4 Stars
Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams 9/4/18

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who).
❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home - Jan ~ From California, USA
Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun by Victoria Laurie 8/22/18

8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who).
❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. - Patrizia
A Mouthful of Murder by Carol Durand 9/5/18

message 34: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Have fun Sunshine!

message 35: by Teri-K (last edited Sep 23, 2018 11:29AM) (new)

Teri-K | 534 comments I'm in. :) I love this idea, as I'm pretty curious and always wonder about the folks I see on GR.

I currently live in Virginia, USA. I love lots of genres, but probably my favorite is Historical Fiction.

Goodreads members can see my Profile and I definitely accept friend requests.

Progress: 7/8

TASKS:
1. International Friendship Day: The United Nations General Assembly declared July 30th as "International Day of Friendship" with the celebration happening on the first Sunday in August. This year's date is August 5, 2018. ❤ Read a series book #5.
Gator Bait by Jana Deleon 9/13

3. Friendship Ambassador: In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie the Pooh, the famous cartoon character as the world's Ambassador of Friendship. ❤ Read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).
Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright 9/1

4. India Jumps on Board: India has embraced the UN Friendship Day in a big way. The idea of honoring friends and friendship has really caught on with their youth and most schools have large festivals to celebrate. ❤ Read a book where the MC attends school.
A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold 8/16
Ekaterina attends the university.

5. National Public Holiday: South America loves Friendship Day and many countries have actually made a national holiday out of it. Though most of the countries celebrate it in July. ❤ Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.
Damsel Under Stress by Shanna Swendson 8/5
Christmas shopping and celebrating are a big part of this book.

Sunshine
Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris 9/16

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.
Olivermagnus
One Good Knight by Mercedes Lackey 8/13

Patrizia
The Body In The Transept by Jeanne M. Dams 9/21

message 36: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Welcome to the fun Teri!

message 37: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Just a little update! I finished the Interactive part of this challenge. The three members I choose were, Claire, Olivermagnus & Patrizia.

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common.
Claire - Book in Common: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine | Gail Honeyman 8/6/18****

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home.

message 38: by Allie (last edited Aug 18, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

Allie | 940 comments Awesome job, Jan! I haven’t read any books in a month so I’m definitely behind!

message 39: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 386 comments I’ve finished!

TASKS

✔️ 1. International Friendship Day: Read a book published in July or August
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Completed: 17 August

✔️ 2. Education: Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.
Candide, or Optimism by Voltaire

The author was French and the book takes place on a journey the main characters make which starts in Germany (as it is today) and visits numerous European and Latin American countries.

I learned that a satirical novel written in the 18th century is far funnier and more relevant than I’d expected it to be!

Completed 11 August

✔️ 3. Friendship Ambassador: Read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).
More About Paddington by Michael Bond

✔️ 4. India Jumps on Board: Read a book where the MC attends school.
The Worst Witch Strikes Again by Jill Murphy
Completed: 6 August

✔️ 5. National Public Holiday: Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.
Dancing at Lughnasa by Brian Friel (centres around the festival of Lughnasa which is a sort of harvest festival in Ireland)
Completed: 25 August

✔️ 6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function. ❤ Read one of the books you have in common or check out their READ shelf and read a book they have rated 3* or more.

I read Macbeth which is a book I have in common with Marina H.
Completed: 4 August

✔️ 7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who). ❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home or read a book whose title starts with the same letter as their listed GR name.

I read The Duchess Of Malfi which is set in Patrizia’s Home country, Italy.
Completed: 19 August

✔️ 8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who). ❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. Make sure the chosen book is tagged with the favorite genre on its GR homepage.

I read The Quiche of Death which is from the genre mystery which is listed as a favourite by Jan.
Completed: 8 August

message 40: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Way to go Bryony!!!

message 41: by Patrizia, Contributor (new)

Patrizia | 1015 comments Whow!

I only have one task to do (Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school), but I don 't know what to read. In my ebooks at most I've a MC who is a university professor ... I've a book partially set in India, but I read one of the same series a few weeks ago and I was not impressed, so now I don't want to read this one...

message 42: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments I would take the professor for that task Patrizia! He "attends" school - just in a little different way.

message 43: by Patrizia, Contributor (new)

Patrizia | 1015 comments Good news for me, Jan!
For now I'll devote myself to the two monthly challenges of September, then I'll read one of the two books I possessed in which the protagonist is a university professor.

Sunshine✰✰✰ | 114 comments Finished!!

Progress: 8/8

1. International Friendship Day: The United Nations General Assembly declared July 30th as "International Day of Friendship" with the celebration happening on the first Sunday in August. This year's date is August 5, 2018.
❤ Read a book published in July
Accidentally Dead by Dakota Cassidy 8/16/18

2. Education: The UN’s motivation for the day is for countries to become more aware and accepting of different cultures promoting friendship across the globe.
❤ Read a book from a different culture of your own. - Ireland, Mythology
Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy by Andrew M. Greeley 8/18/18

3. Friendship Ambassador: In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie the Pooh, the famous cartoon character as the world's Ambassador of Friendship.
❤ Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH
House Beneath the Bridge by Iain Rob Wright 8/9/18

4. India Jumps on Board: India has embraced the UN Friendship Day in a big way. The idea of honoring friends and friendship has really caught on with their youth and most schools have large festivals to celebrate.
Focus by Alyssa Rose Ivy 8/8/18

5. National Public Holiday: South America loves Friendship Day and many countries have actually made a national holiday out of it. Though most of the countries celebrate it in July.
❤ Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday. The book has 3 stories, each around a different holiday. Halloween, Christmas & Valentine's Day
The Magical Curiosity Shoppe by Ani Gonzalez 8/7/18

6. Interactive Task: Choose a participator in this challenge (tell us who). Go to their profile and use the compare book function.
❤ Read a book they have rated 3* or more. - Allie, Rated 4 Stars
Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams 9/4/18

7. Interactive Task: Choose a different participator (tell us who).
❤ Read a book that takes place in the Country/State/City or Province they listed as their home - Jan ~ From California, USA
Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun by Victoria Laurie 8/22/18

8. Interactive Task: Choose one more participator in the challenge (tell us who).
❤ Read a book from their listed favorite genre. - Patrizia
A Mouthful of Murder by Carol Durand 9/5/18

message 45: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Wonderful job Sunshine!! Nice to see you visited California :)

message 46: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Welcome to the challenge Gabi!!

message 47: by Patrizia, Contributor (new)

Patrizia | 1015 comments Done!

1. International Friendship Day: Read a book published in July or August or read a series book #5.
Barbara Ross, Iced Under 3 August
Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5) by Barbara Ross

2. Education: Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned.
Irish Travellers- Susan Furlong, Splintered Silence 22 August
Splintered Silence by Susan Furlong

3. Friendship Ambassador: Read a book whose author's first and last initial can be found in WINNIE THE POOH or read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage (100 page limit applies).
Peggy Ehrhart, Murder, She Knit 20 August
Murder, She Knit (A Knit & Nibble Mystery #1) by Peggy Ehrhart

4. India Jumps on Board: Read a book that takes place in India or a book where the MC attends school.
Cynthia Kuhn, The Semester of Our Discontent 18 September
The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Academic Mystery #1) by Cynthia Kuhn

5. National Public Holiday: Read a book with the word DAY in the title or a book whose plot centers around a holiday. Tell us which one.
Halloween- Kathi Daley, The Halloween House 30 August
The Halloween House (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery Book 4) by Kathi Daley

Olivermagnus: Kendra Elliot, A Merciful Silence 16 August
A Merciful Silence (Mercy Kilpatrick, #4) by Kendra Elliot

Jan (California): Mary Marks, Knot My Sister's Keeper 14 August
Knot My Sister's Keeper (A Quilting Mystery, #6) by Mary Marks

Connie (romance): Terri Osburn, La mia sfida più grande 24 August
La mia sfida più grande by Terri Osburn

message 48: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments Nicely done Patrizia! Thanks for stopping by California ❤

message 49: by Patrizia, Contributor (new)

Patrizia | 1015 comments In reality I visited San Francisco, Yosemite (❤ ), San Diego e Los Angeles...

message 50: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 12598 comments I'm all done with this one :)

8/8

TASKS

The Fellowship of the Ring | J.R.R. Tolkien 8/3/18****
The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien

2. Education:
Read a book from a different culture of your own. Tell us where and share one thing new you learned. Micronesia used to all be territories of the US but through much strife and growing pains they all became independent states with the exception of Guam and Wake Islands. Each state has its own culture and traditions that differ from one another greatly. Micronesian Blues by Cynthia Morris & Bryan Vila 9/19/18***
Micronesian Blues by Bryan Vila

Read a book that is tagged CHILDREN or MIDDLE GRADE on its GR Homepage.
Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West | Marguerite Henry 8/14/18*****
Mustang Wild Spirit of the West by Marguerite Henry

4. India Jumps on Board:
Read a book where the MC attends school (college): The Life We Bury | Allen Eskens 8/18/18*****
The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens

Read a book whose plot centers around a holiday (Valentine's Day): The Valentine Mystery | Kathi Daley 9/22/18****
The Valentine Mystery (Tess and Tilly #2) by Kathi Daley

« previous 1