The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello from longtime member and now debut author!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellison (last edited Jul 28, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Ellison Cooper (ellison_cooper) | 9 comments Hello everyone!
So, this account is under my pen name, but I've actually been a lurking member of this group for many years. I've loved the games, recs, and group reads and I figured I should probably finally introduce myself!

I'm a debut author and, obviously, a voracious reader. I'm a recovering academic (former anthropologist/archaeologist) and now a full-time author living in the Bay Area (though longing to move to SoCal one day). I spent many years doing research around the world (mainly mapping and excavating Maya ruins in Belize, but also some work in Micronesia and West Africa). I spent some time working as a murder investigator in Washington DC and I'm a K9 Wilderness Search and Rescue volunteer.

I love any mystery/thriller but am especially drawn to dark crime thrillers that present a slightly "hyper-real" world. For example, I love Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series because, while they are incredibly dark and are always chock full of interesting information about real-world topics, the actual stories are not nitty-gritty realism. Instead, the bad guys are all diabolically brilliant and the heroes are all vaguely superhuman. It's the same reason I love the ever so slightly "hyper-real" work of Lee Child, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, Laurie King, the Kellermans, Lisa Gardner, Kathy Reichs, Thomas Harris, and John Sandford. I definitely do not want stark realism while I read about Jack Reacher, ha! I want to watch a juggernaut of pure vengeance in action.

My inner-archaeologist is also drawn to stories with strong cultural historical elements like James Rollins and (yes, I'll admit it) Dan Brown. I steer clear of psychological thrillers that feature unreliable narrators and a whole cast of toxic people. I totally get why people enjoy them, but I prefer my protagonist to be a "white-hat" driven by a code of ethics (especially if that code often gets them in trouble).

Happy to be here and talking about books!

xo,
Ellison Cooper (aka Jen Dornan-Fish)

Ellison Cooper

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8949 comments Mod
You have to try Raymond Chandler. His Marlowe is the quintessential " 'white-hat' driven by ethics."

and welcome!!

message 3: by Ellison (new)

Ellison Cooper (ellison_cooper) | 9 comments Nancy wrote: "You have to try Raymond Chandler. His Marlowe is the quintessential " 'white-hat' driven by ethics."

and welcome!!"

Thanks Nancy! I love Raymond Chandler, he was one of the authors that got me into mysteries in the first place.

message 4: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 35 comments Have you considered writing non-fiction about your anthropological or archaeological discoveries and experiences?

message 5: by Ellison (new)

Ellison Cooper (ellison_cooper) | 9 comments I was asked to write an academic book tracing the links between pre-historic and colonial Maya communities in Central America, but that was right before I left my professorship. I actually started working on that first when I left my teaching post but quickly realized I could be working on anything I want. Turns out that writing fiction is a million times more fun!

message 6: by Elizabeth A.G. (last edited Jul 30, 2018 05:54PM) (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 35 comments I can understand that! Good to write in the genre that you want and truly enjoy. I've added Caged to my to-read list. Is this the first of a series with the same protagonist?

message 7: by Ellison (new)

Ellison Cooper (ellison_cooper) | 9 comments Yes, I've got a 3-book deal with Minotaur! Book #2 in the Sayer series (Buried) will be out next summer and book #3 out summer 2020. I hope people enjoy reading enough that I get to keep going for a very long time!

message 8: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 35 comments That's great -- lots of good reading to look forward to, Congratulations : )

message 9: by Ellison (new)

Ellison Cooper (ellison_cooper) | 9 comments Thanks, Elizabeth!

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome to the group, Ellison.

message 11: by Ellison (new)

Ellison Cooper (ellison_cooper) | 9 comments Bill wrote: "Welcome to the group, Ellison."

Thanks, Bill!

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill Ellison wrote: "Bill wrote: "Welcome to the group, Ellison."

Thanks, Bill!"

We do also have threads for authors and their publishers to talk about and promote their books. If you want to use and can't find let me know.. :)

message 13: by Brenda (last edited May 27, 2020 07:20AM) (new)

Brenda Rooney | 1 comments It's been a while but I just found your post. You are really talented. By the way, do you have any tips for me? I need to buy college papers and I need some help with that.

message 14: by Walter (new)

Walter Danley (walterdanley) | 44 comments Hi Ellison! Wow! Glad to virtually meet you!

And Hello to Everyone! I am Walter Danley, a four-decade veteran of the investment industry, and I now write suspense thriller novels instead of living the experience every day. I live in the Texas Hill Country, where I work on suspense thriller series, A Wainwright Mystery, and other standalone novels. I usually write from my library office overlooking Cibolo Creek.

I enjoy reading novels by Michael Connelly, Sandra Brown, Robert Crais, or Lee Child.

I also wrote Blasted Past (When your THEN becomes NOW, you have a Blasted Past. A time-Traveler's Tale of the Old West) and I hope you can enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Thank you! And Happy Reading!

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 571 comments Welcome!
I am always looking for mysteries, crime, thrillers etc. based in other Countries. We got a Thread here for Archeological reads.

message 16: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 1453 comments are authors allowed to self-publicize in this part of the forum? I thought they were restricted to the Author's Corner and the All things Promotional forum?

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Caged (other topics)
Buried (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ellison Cooper (other topics)