Up and Coming Authors discussion

Archives (Past Group Reads) > Discussion - The Nine Lives of Clemenza (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 150 comments Mod
Discuss The Nine Lives of Clemenza here.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 150 comments Mod
I finished this story last night. I could tell right away that the author was a philosopher. She has taken my thoughts of heaven and reincarnation and put a more "heavenly" touch on them. I never would have thought of air as a living thing, but after reading this book it's easy to think of everyone and everything as a living energy source.
It was an ejoyable read that I didn't put down until I completed it. I wanted to see how the author viewed life through each different form, and she never dissappointed me.
However, there was a little dissappointment in the end. The entire story was so thought provoking and interesting that when Clemenza asked the question that I'm sure many people ask, "What are you, God?", I was hoping for something more thoughtful, philosophical, and heavenly than the answer that was given. Aside from that one area, I thought this was a wonderful read and will be giving it 4 stars.

message 3: by Clare (last edited Aug 18, 2009 11:26AM) (new)

Clare (clarereads) Wow! I loved this.

The story was definitely unique (anyone who's enjoyed Ken Grimwood's "Replay" will appreciate this) but also quite poignant.

I was moved to tears in several parts, and liked the reinforced idea that we are all connected. Surprisingly, I liked the Tree life the best, but as a dog lover, was moved by Clemenza's time with Helen/Heart.

Each life moves along briskly, but with enough detail to keep the reader interested. When I saw Clemenza pick a name with three letters, I felt sure she would be an Ant, so Air was surprising. I automatically assumed animal for all lives.

My major disappointment was the end, where we find out that Clemenza gave Miss Winters cancer, from smoking. Some people just get cancer, and lung cancer, without even smoking. I felt like the author got on a moral high horse here, by making Miss Winters a secret smoker.

Also, referencing Starbucks when the author reinforces how little Clemenza knows in her early lives just struck a jarring note. It was the only brand name referenced in the whole book, but I understand that product placement is all the rage now. However, I could see this book as a counter-top purchase sold at Starbucks, the way Jamba Juice sold "The Four Agreements" a few years ago. The few minor spelling mistakes would be easily corrected.

All in all, a compelling read. I will suggest it to my book club.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) This is a wonderful book, and hard to sum up or catagorize. I run the risk of this review becoming no more than quoting excerpts and saying "wasn't that great?"

The book IS spiritual and it can apply to anyone's personal philosophy, even atheists. It is full of social and personal lessons but isn't heavy handed in the least.

It's original, interesting, engrossing, and is something you wont soon forget after reading.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly Christine | 7 comments Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and review!

The reason for God being a mere math guy in the end was because of my love for the Science Channel and a way for me to make sense of faith. I thought that the two could co-exist and sometimes pictured God just sitting in his office, dabbling around with equations and then BANG! The universe existed!

The tree life was one of my favorites as well! Sometimes we all just need some time to stew in our own emotions...

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison | 13 comments I enjoyed this book. I don't usually read this kind of book, but I read it as part of the group reading session. The main thing I noticed was how Holly was able to open up a whole new way of looking at things, and I always love it when that happens. I love looking "outside the box" and this book definitely made me do that.

A delightful story.