Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > SF&F Now Streaming....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 25, 2020 09:05AM) (new)

AppleTVDisneyDC Universe
A topic for discussing made-for-streaming SF&F movies & series that don't merit a whole topic to themselves....

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Extinction (Netflix)

Netflix's latest SF flick starts off for the first hour looking like a familiar surprise alien invasion movie, until it isn't. After a very familiar hour of dodging aliens, finally gets around to changing things up. (I'd almost stopped watching by then under the "I've seen all this before" category.) Once they get around to it, it's an interesting variation. Would have worked better without the cliched first hour of big-budget explosions; maybe as an episode of one of the anthology series.

message 3: by Roger (new)

Roger G33z3r wrote: "   Extinction (Netflix)

Netflix's latest SF flick starts off for the first hour looking like a familiar surprise alien invasion movie, until it isn't. After a very familiar hour of dodging aliens,..."

I saw this pop on one of those "new to netflix" emails and was wondering if I should give it a try. You have me intrigued so maybe I'll add to the ever growing show lineup (that I never seem to get around to because I read so dang much...)

message 4: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments One of the daily links I check is for new items on the three services:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/new?prov...

I sometimes find new items that they don't list, but that is one of the sources of new items for me. I have far too many items in each queue. :)

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 91 comments I actually saw Extinction yesterday, and it's a very average movie. It's your run-of-the-mill alien invasion with decent effects and a little twist at the end. It wasted a lot of potential (some ideas were very clever but undeveloped), and felt more like a TV show episode than a feature length movie. It had too much cliche in the first hour

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Saul wrote: "[Extinction] felt more like a TV show episode than a feature length movie. ..."

I almost had the feeling it was a series pilot, though I'm not sure where it could go.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 29, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

How it Ends   How It Ends (Netflix)

Netflix put this up a couple of weeks ago. It a cross-country survival story. Something disastrous happens on the west coast, and then the power failed in Chicago, too, so hubby & father-in-law (Forest Whitaker) who can't each other jump in a car to drive to wife/daughter back in Seattle. Civilization has collapsed about 12 hours after the lights went out, so there's a lot of killing along the way.

If you're watching for some explanation of what's going on, you're going to be disappointed by the non-ending.

This is a generic disaster movie that doesn't even bother to tell us what the disaster was.

message 8: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments It's pretty much just a road trip movie, not a disaster movie. The disaster is just a backdrop that creates a number of situations for the road trip.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 29, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Randy wrote: "It's pretty much just a road trip movie, not a disaster movie.."

My idea of a road trip movie is Blues Brothers; Little Miss Sunshine; Rain Main; Planes, Trains & Automobiles; a dozen Hope-Crosby collaborations; Thelma & Louise; & Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Singularity   Singularity

Technically, not made for Streaming. Now on Netflix & Amazon. Pretty awful. (A joint Euro/US production, it had a US theatrical run in 75 theaters last year and grossed $4,175.)

AI took over 90 years ago and set about wiping out humanity (think Skynet). The AI (played by John Cusack, who makes a lousy villain) wants to find something the surviving humans believe in called Aurora, where humanity still thrives. His fiendish plot is to make iBoy who doesn't know he's a robot to accompany human girl on her search for Aurora. Predictably, iBoy falls in love with girl instead. Ending has nothing to do with anything (view spoiler)

Watching this, I kept thinking: civilization collapsed 90 years ago, and this duo have been on the run from killer robots all their lives,... so why do their clothes look so clean and neat? Really, iBoy's hoodie is looks better than anything in my closet (which is only 70 years old.)

Fun fact: Made in 2013, the producers saw they'd dropped a turd and shelved it. In 2016 someone dusted it off and hired Cusack to add an evil AI droning the plot, hoping to make it comprehensible. (Cusack doesn't interact outside his computer room, so it was probably one day's work for him.)

message 11: by Roger (new)

Roger G33z3r wrote: "   Singularity

Technically, not made for Streaming. Now on Netflix & Amazon. Pretty awful. (A joint Euro/US production, it had a US theatrical run in 75 theaters last year and grossed $4,175.)

AI..."

Just watched this this weekend, so bad. (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed how the girl never questioned the fact that the other guy remembers nothing and makes references to the fact that he remembers the destruction of the night the robots come online like it's yesterday. Also, her accent seems to come and go as she pleases...

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

The First     The First   (Hulu)

Hulu dropped "The First" today, a series about the first mission to Mars. Poor Sean Penn doesn't get to go (he looks kind of old for an astronaut, anyway....) There will be flashbacks.... Lots of astronauts with personal problems, politicians, sex, drugs and rock&roll, and just a few touches of futurism on Earth.

Not The Martian.

Unlike previous Hulu shows I've watched, they put all 8 episodes (of what I assume is season 1) up together for bingeing, so I watched half today. (Hulu usually does one episode a week, e.g. "The Handmaid's Tale" & "The Runaways".)

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

DC Universe   DC universe streaming video service went live today, showcasing DC comics' TV shows & films. For $7.99/mo, you can watch some old DC comic movies (e.g., Batman Begins, Superman (1978)) and TV shows (e.g., animated Batman, Young Justice, live actionLois & Clark (1993) & Wonder Woman (1975); no CW shows, at least not now), and read some digital comics. (Also a Store for buying overpriced T-shirts & coffee mugs.)

Starting next month, their first original, exclusive series, Titans (Live Action) will debut, followed by an animated revival of Young Justice, and in 2019 they plan a (live action) Batgirl series and a (live acion) Stargirl series.

message 14: by Roger (new)

Roger G33z3r wrote: "
DC universe
streaming video service went live today, showcasing DC comics' TV shows & films. For $7.99/mo, you can watch some old DC comic movies (e.g., Batman Begins, Superman (1978)) and TV s..."

I'm not a big fan of this type of thing, every network/universe does not need it's own streaming service. Another example of companies being greedy. They should work out a deal with another popular streaming service. If more and more companies do this then there will be less and less good content on streaming services and they all will suffer.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 17, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

Roger wrote: "I'm not a big fan of this type of thing, every network/universe does not need it's own streaming service...."

I have multiple conflicting opinions on that. :)

• On the one hand, I don't need another streaming service; or, more directly, I don't need another monthly bill.

• On the other hand, this is a niche service, catering to a specific genre. That makes it better tailored to tastes.

In contrast, the streaming aggregators, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, CBS, make me subscribe for just a tiny percentage of their shows. E.g., I subscribed to Hulu for The Handmaind's Tale and The Runaways, and tried The First last week. And that's pretty much it. (I've sampled (re-)watching a few of their older shows, because I use the tablet to stream while on the exercising on the treadmill or rowing, but not really into any of them.) Every week Hulu sends me a "look at all the great stuff on Hulu" email, and I keel thinking, "Why am I still subscribed to this?" (Next season of The Runaways in November? That's a pretty sparse answer.) With HBO I get Game of Thrones and Westworld, and that's about it for my $12/mo. Netflix gives me more by sheer volume right now (The Marvel shows, Stranger Things, bad scifi movies :)

And we have Disney's new service coming next year, which will be the exclusive streaming home of Star Wars, the Marvel Cinematic Universe & Pixar as well as other Disney fare.

So, it's nice to have a few channels targeted just to specific tastes.

• On the other hand, being niche means fewer subscribers, meaning they can't spend a lot of money on originals. I wonder if Titans will be low-budget or whether they'll go for a loss-leader.

• On the other hand, being off on a niche service means the general public won't see their stuff, which marginalizes it. (in much the way comics slid from public view when the speciality direct-sales comic shops started in the 80's, with comics disappearing from newstands, drug stores & supermarkets.)

At this point you'd have the be a Thark to keep track of all my opinions. :)

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2561 comments For those that are subscribed to a service just for the sake of one show you might want to consider just investing in buying the DVD set of that series. Cost will either be the same or better and you'll get to keep it (the streaming service could stop streaming it at any time, or even go bankrupt which for sure will happen as more and more services splinter the market, or maybe you just want to drop the service to save some money), at least as long as the DVD format lives on (I still have a VCR to play my VHS movies I bought) you'll be able to watch that show.

And then invest in the streaming services that have more of the shows you care about, which might in the end help them unite (as one goes under another might buy its content). While monopolies are bad, too many services doesn't benefit the consumer either really.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "For those that are subscribed to a service just for the sake of one show you might want to consider just investing in buying the DVD set of that series..."

That's my strategy for Star Trek: Discovery from CBS All Access. The DVDs come out in November, so I'll ask Netflix to send them to me. I was a bit surprised they were releasing it on DVD, since it was, as far as I'm concerned, the only draw on CBSAA. I held out on Hulu until they had 2 shows I wanted to watch, and I guess I've watched 4 now... but I could easily make a case for only subscribing for one month a year :)

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2561 comments G33z3r wrote: "but I could easily make a case for only subscribing for one month a year"

There is always that option too, wait till the show(s) is/are completely out, then subscribe just long enough to binge watch them :) Especially if you don't feel the need to watch them multiple times.

Fortunately for me Star Trek Discovery and The Handmaid's Tale were available on regular cable channels, maybe because their services were not available in Canada? Game of Thrones used to be available a few years after the initial airing on HBO but that stopped after the third season or so, though I briefly had a streaming service that gave me access to a few more seasons (but that was before the last season even came out...so I not only don't know how the book series ends, I'll have to wait to see how the tv series ends!). I'm hoping American Gods shows up on a regular channel at some point, that's the main one I feel like I'm missing.

For the most part I have enough to watch so I just accept the fact I'm missing some good stuff, but then I don't have the time to watch everything anyway :)

message 19: by Roger (new)

Roger G33z3r wrote: "Roger wrote: "I'm not a big fan of this type of thing, every network/universe does not need it's own streaming service...."

I have multiple conflicting opinions on that. :)

• On the one hand, I d..."

Yeah, that's a lot of conflicting opinions :)

Though I kind of feel the same, i think it's annoying that Disney and DC has their own service and I certainly won't be paying to join them, but I don't want to pay more for Netflix/Hulu to have that content.

I am less annoyed by DC having their own thing than I am CBS and Disney, like you said DC is a pretty small niche whereas Disney and especially CBS have a lot more newer content that I wish was on Hulu or Netflix.

message 20: by Randy (last edited Sep 17, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments Another option is to sign up for a service for only a month at a time -- binge everything you want from one service, and then move on to another service, rotating as desired.

If you have a particular show you're interested in, wait for a month when the current "season" is complete.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Roger wrote: "whereas Disney and especially CBS have a lot more newer content that I wish was on Hulu or Netflix....."

Apropos, Disney today announced it was creating some new series set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, exclusively for their new streaming service: Loki, Scarlet Witch, Other Marvel Heroes to Get Own TV Series on Disney Streaming Service.

So there's that.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael | 152 comments I'm another anti-fan of the splintering of video on demand services. I look at services like CBS All Access or the new DC service, and what they provide is so limited (IMO) for almost as much as I pay per month for Netflix or Hulu which have much broader and deeper selections.

But as these splinter services continue to pull content out of the current "Big Three" every service starts to be less attractive and just encourages hit and run "binge watching" subscribing, rather than just letting my subscription run all year.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

DC Universe   DC Universe's first original production, Titans, has a new Trailer.

Now I'm definitely not interested.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

The Man in the High Castle returned to Amazon Video today for its 3rd season.

message 25: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments Hulu has a new anthology series called Into the Dark. It looks like it will release a new movie monthly:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/...

The first episode is available now:

The Body

A sophisticated hitman with a cynical view on modern society finds his work made more difficult when he has to transport a body on Halloween night, but everyone is enamored by what they think is his killer costume.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 01, 2018 07:43PM) (new)

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1 The Crucible by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa   Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

Netflix's idea (premiered last Friday) is to take a humorous comic book and turn it into grimdark. Apparently this is a a thing, as this is described as a Riverdale spin-off (I haven't watched that CW show.) Murder, human sacrifice, gore, tragedy, cannibalism,.... and a plot that's got so many side-plot distractions, it's hard to find the main thread.

Sabrina has been renewed for another batch of episodes next year.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

G33z3r wrote: "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

Netflix's idea (premiered last Friday) is to take a humorous comic book and turn it into grimdark. ..."

Netflix has scheduled a Sabrina Holiday Special, celebrating the Solstice.

‘Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina’ Sets Holiday Special On Netflix

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

DC Universe   DC Universe's 2nd original production, the animated Young Justice revival, has a Trailer.

I'm curious if anyone has actually signed up for DCU?

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 29, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Hulu's Marvel's Runaways has a season 2 trailer in advance of its Dec 21 return. (I assume with weekly episode releases rather than bingeable 10-episode drop, so I probably won't watch until March :)

message 30: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 251 comments Watching The haunting of Hill house. It doesn't have much in common with the book, but some really, really creepy moments.

message 31: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments Just watched two recent zombie flicks on Amazon Prime Video:

The End?

A cynical businessman gets stuck in an elevator while a deadly virus has begun to infect and transform people into extremely violent and dangerous zombies.

The Night Eats The World

The morning after a party, a young man wakes up to find Paris invaded by zombies.

I enjoyed both, but there were quite different. The second is a much slower, more deliberate survivor tale.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hulu cancelled its original series The First, about he first mission to Mars, after one season.

Now we'll never get to Mars. :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2019 09:49AM) (new)

DC Universe   DC Universe currently has the first episodes of each of their three original series (Titans, Doom Patrol, Young Justice) available to stream for anyone, no registration required. (I also noticed that it worked even though I still had my connection via a VPN; usually I have to turn that off to stream stuff. Presumably available internationally No, apparently US only.) Apparently it's a one week only teaser.

message 34: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2561 comments Sorry, this service is only available in the US. We'll announced when it is available in your region.

Nope, no Canadians allowed :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2019 09:51AM) (new)

Andrea wrote: "Sorry, this service is only available in the US. We'll announced when it is available in your region.
Nope, no Canadians allowed :)"

Sorry about that.
The first Titans episode was surprisingly good. Darn.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

hulu Hulu has announced Marvel's Runaways will have a season 3. (It's interesting this is one of Hulu's first renewals since Disney swallowed Fox's assets and became controlling owner of Hulu. Maybe everything Marvel isn't moving to Disney+ after all.)

message 37: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments NetFlix: "Love, Death & Robots"

https://www.netflix.com/title/80174608

An anthology of CGI/animated shorts. Currently 18 episodes,

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Randy wrote: "NetFlix: "Love, Death & Robots"

https://www.netflix.com/title/80174608

An anthology of CGI/animated shorts. Currently 18 episodes,"

I liked "Three Robots". It made me laugh. :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 01, 2019 08:01AM) (new)

Netflix

Netflix debuts Ultraman today.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina new episodes drop Friday (2019/4/5.)

Also, Netflix announced The Umbrella Academy is going to have more episodes. (Given the "ending" of the first batch of 10, it had better have more episodes!)

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 522 comments Checked out love death and robots and was quite impressed tho a bit more gory than I need. Was a bit jumpy at random house noises last night!

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments Rachel wrote: "Checked out love death and robots and was quite impressed tho a bit more gory than I need. Was a bit jumpy at random house noises last night!"

I'm loving them, too. Great series with stories written by some excellent SF authors like Scalzi, although most lean to horror.

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 06, 2019 09:58AM) (new)

DC Universe   DC Universe has cancelled its 3rd original live-action series, Swamp Thing, after streaming only one episode (the rest of the 10 episodes will still be released, one a week as (sort of) planned.) Not surprising given Warner shut down production after only 10 of the planned 13 episodes were filmed, amid the usual finger pointing. (I'm guessing the ending will not be very satisfying.)

‘Swamp Thing’ Canceled By DC Universe After 1 Season (Deadline)

It's also being said, by the usual nameless sources, that now that AT&T owns Warner Bros. (which owns DC) the merged company may drop DCU completely, in favor of creating a larger streaming platform to compete with Disney+ and whatever Comcast/NBC/Universal's recently announced streaming service will be called. (So by next year that'll be 3 new major streaming services to spend money on; 4 if you count whatever Apple is doing.)
"The big question is just how many streaming services customers are willing to pay for. Both the Disney and Warner Bros. streaming services launch in 2019, and let’s not forget that Apple has their own subscription streaming service coming soon too. That’s on top of Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, not to mention cable channels like HBO, Showtime, and Starz. We’re getting close to having a la carte television programming, albeit in a form that we never really considered, but it’s an awful lot of content to keep track of across a growing number of services. What will be the breaking point for customers?

BTW, DCU's premier original series, Titans, can now be purchased for streaming from Amazon or Apple for about what it would have cost to subscribe to DCU for the 3 months the show aired; a DVD/BlueRay release is coming next month. (Titans has been renewed for a 2nd "season".)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) DC is a mess. They have become the proverbial one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 24, 2020 05:42PM) (new)

DC Universe
I binge-watched Titans (purchased thru Amazon rather than DC Universe). I thought it was very good, especially considering that the first 11-episode "season 1" not only lacks an ending, it barely has a beginning. It's mostly a "getting the gang together" setup that only reveals the villain in the last episode, and that barely.

BTW, The new merged ATT-Time-Warner announced some details on its new streaming service, now called "HBO Max", which will include the DC Universe shows and CW programs (and TNT/TBS), plus I presume HBO, though the announcement is unclear how much of those (DC Universe & CW's current streaming platforms will continue, they say?) Not even sure it will include all of HBO, though given the name, you'd think so.

message 45: by Barbara (last edited Jul 12, 2019 07:25AM) (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 158 comments A Quiet Place"" is a horror movie that has a really disgusting looking special effects monster. The flaps on its head opening and closing....ick!

The premise: In a post-apocalyptic world, a family is forced to live in silence while hiding from blind monsters with ultra-sensitive hearing. The story's not too realistic, but entertaining. 😱

Stars John Krasinski and Emily Blunt; also directed by Krasinski

I watched it on Hulu

message 46: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 908 comments Barbara wrote: "with ultra-sensitive hearing"

To me, that immediately suggests a possible weapon.

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 24, 2020 05:41PM) (new)

Netflix

I binged The Order on Netflix. It's a "secret supernatural cult hidden in a college" type story, but it has really sharp, entertaining dialog. I gather it's been on Netflix since March, but it just randomly caught my eye. I find myself hoping for a 2nd season.

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 03, 2019 06:49AM) (new)

Amazon Prime Amazon Prime's new The Boys is a gory and twisted take on superheroes, apparently based on the comic of the same name (The Boys) that i haven't read. Sex, violence, drugs and rock & roll. (Not much rock & roll, though Amazon music has a playlist dedicated to the show.) I found it fascinating, also occasionally funny. Corrupt super "heroes", corporate intrigue, and a group of sociopathic anti-supes "Boys". The available 8 episodes conclude with some revelations, but not a real ending; additional episodes are already planned to next year.

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments G33z3r wrote: " Amazon Prime's new The Boys is a gory and twisted take on superheroes, apparently based on the comic of the same name (The Boys that i haven't read. Sex, violence, drugs and rock & ..."

Thanks. I hadn't heard about that show. Sounds interesting.

message 50: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 251 comments G33z3r wrote: " Amazon Prime's new The Boys is a gory and twisted take on superheroes, apparently based on the comic of the same name (The Boys) that i haven't read. Sex, violence, drugs and rock & roll. (Not much rock & roll, though Amazon music has a playlist dedicated to the show.) I found it fascinating, also occasionally funny. Corrupt super "heroes", corporate intrigue, and a group of sociopathic anti-supes "Boys". The available 8 episodes conclude with some revelations, but not a real ending; additional episodes are already planned to next year."

Very good and interesting show, tonally it reminds me of Misfits which was a lot of fun.
I really like the idea of a management company for superheroes. Also, a not-completely-good Superman is terrifying.

Still with superheroes, I'm approaching the end of Doom patrol's first season and I enjoy it more than I thought I would. The humor is juvenile at times, but it's as imaginative as it is weird and I'm compelled to keep watching.

« previous 1 3 4