Art Lovers discussion

Art History > Andy Warhol, Campbell’s Soup Cans: Why is this Art?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments http://tedtalkspsychology.com/andy-wa...

A 7-minute TED video arguing why Warhol's Campbell Soup cans are really art.

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments For example: The fleur de lis on the bottom of each can were made from a rubber stamp created by Warhol because he stated he didn't want to paint each one.

In the video they are saying this is iconic of today's society how everything is manufactured.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments Heather wrote: "http://tedtalkspsychology.com/andy-wa...

A 7-minute TED video arguing why Warhol's Campbell Soup cans are really art."

Why not? Any subject is grist for the mill.

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Did you watch the video, Ruth? You're right!

I think they are conversing both sides. How one would say if they saw this in a grocery store, that it's just advertising, but taken out of context and putting it in his studio, or in an art gallery, it makes it art because it relocates and changes the meaning of what they are looking at. It makes us think about it in a different way.

He wasn't focusing on brush work, etc., but the 'idea' of the object. This is a world of manufacturing, not everything is in nature. It gives it a different way to view what's around us, what is produced mechanically.

message 5: by Ruth (last edited Jul 28, 2018 03:03PM) (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments Heather wrote: "Did you watch the video, Ruth? You're right!

I think they are conversing both sides. How one would say if they saw this in a grocery store, that it's just advertising, but taken out of context and..."

Exactly.

(Actually, I didn't watch the video, just because this is a very familiar question for me.)

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Ruth wrote: "Heather wrote: "Did you watch the video, Ruth? You're right!

I think they are conversing both sides. How one would say if they saw this in a grocery store, that it's just advertising, but taken ou..."

I'm sure it is a familiar question! But, I don't think it is for everyone. I have had that similar question myself but have never really heard one answer. I thought this video was interesting, at least as a question/answer interview.

message 7: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments I am very opinionated and closeminded about this theme. His work is so much BS!!!! So he copied a soup can. Big deal. Rosenquist has dealt with the same social issues with considerably more talent and intelligence.