Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > August 2018 ~ TBR Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
The only *rule* for this challenge is that you have to pick a book from your TBR (to be read) file. We want to decrease the size of our back lists, hence the challenge!

August 2018 ~ Amy's pick ~ Drink Themed Title!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am in on this one too

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments In! Not sure what I will be reading though. I only have a few titles with drinks in them but I was thinking a good variation on the theme would be bar setting (I have read several books where H or h worked at bar) or winery or brewery.

message 4: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Sex, Lies, and Sweet Tea by Kris Calvert. I had to go through quite a few books to find that one. :)

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments In! Still have 2 of July’s challenges to read!

message 6: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I'm in!

If any of you happen to have any of these on your tbr, here's a good series that fits:

The Cocktail Girls series

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I’m going read A Love Letter to Whiskey by Kandi Steiner.

message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments I’m in

message 9: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Ooh, A Love Letter to Whiskey is a great one. I LOVED that book!

message 10: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Renee wrote: "Ooh, A Love Letter to Whiskey is a great one. I LOVED that book!"

Me too Nay

message 11: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments If y'all think it fits the them another possible series is:
the Last Call series by Sawyer Bennett

message 12: by Nay (last edited Jul 29, 2018 05:39AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I'm reading Rum Runner (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9) by J.A. Konrath Rum Runner, which is part of the Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels series by J.A. Konrath.

message 13: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments I'm in on this one :)

message 14: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Another drink series:

Cocktail series by Alice Clayton

message 15: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in....I definitely have a few books in this category!

message 16: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Totally!

message 17: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Renee wrote: "Another drink series:

Cocktail series by Alice Clayton"

That sounds like a plan....I'll do one of these. I only read book 1.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I need some help on this one guys. I have already read or don't have on my TBR the suggestions already made and the one I did choose (Unraveled, Whiskey Sharp #1 Unraveled (Whiskey Sharp, #1) by Lauren Dane ) is crappy and I need to dnf.

I am sure I must have some good ones on my TBR that have bartenders, winery, etc.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments So I struggled to find something drink related - but I did find something that deals with alcohol and addiction, so I'm stretching the theme to cover that one. I am choosing Step Toward You by Liz Ashlee It sorta fits, right?

message 20: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Think of it this way, 'drink' doesn't have to be alcohol.

It can be:
water
coffee
soda
tea
java
punch

OR:
wine
ale
beer
whiskey
tequila
bourbon
rum
scotch
gin
vodka

I'd bet most people have at least one 'water' titled book on their tbr.

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Good idea Lisa! Or even a book with a drink/cocktail/wine bottle etc. on cover or couple met in a bar. I feel like I have read a bazillion books that are somehow drink related, but can't seem to find any on my TBR. I found a few lists but of course none from my TBR.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

I have recently read and enjoyed Panic series which is based on nightclub called Panic. Pull Me Close (The Panic, #1) by Sidney Halston , Bittersweet Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen the H makes hard cider, Bountiful Bountiful (Brooklyn Bruisers #3.5; True North, #4) by Sarina Bowen the h is a bartender. I would recommend these ones. 🙂

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I GOT ONE!!!!!!

Beauty from Pain Beauty from Pain (Beauty, #1) by Georgia Cates

Duh!!! H is a winemaker and this has been on my TBR forever!!!

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 34 comments Ooh I read that series a while back leslie it was great.

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Yay Catherine! I hope I like it, I have been wanting to read for 5 years.

message 25: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I also loved that series, Leslie!

message 26: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Great choice Leslie! Loved the first 2 books in the series, but haven't read the 3rd yet.....i don't know why.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Yay to Nay & Jean also loving it. 🤗

Jean, you could always chose book 3 for this challenge....or maybe it will get picked for you in PFM challenge.

message 28: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jean wrote: "Great choice Leslie! Loved the first 2 books in the series, but haven't read the 3rd yet.....i don't know why."

Hmm, that's weird--I didn't read the 3rd one either. Oh well, I remember loving the first 2. They must have been good enough to stop there. And they did leave a lasting impression.

I'm almost afraid to read the 3rd because what if it's another 'I would have loved it 5 years ago??'

message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Nay, you know what I hate besides the "I would have loved 5 years ago" thing? Is when the sequel tanks. I have a few series that I ADORED beginning then the authors got brain transplants and endings were stupid.

message 30: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Renee, i get it......i would hope to still love the 3rd book. I really remember the first two which lately, I've been reading and then forgetting what they are about a week later. The 3rd book is already on my PFM list. I really loved those books a lot!

message 31: by Grey (last edited Aug 04, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
My pick is Thicker Than Water by Dylan Allen Thicker Than Water by Dylan Allen ... which was actually the first one I came to in my Kindle scrolling that had a word with some kind of liquid in it that I hadn't already read... LOL!

message 32: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I’ll just stick with the PFM book, Love Letter to Whiskey! Bam two challenges covered!

message 33: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Ela - how far are you into Love Letter to Whiskey??!

message 34: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Leslie wrote: "Nay, you know what I hate besides the "I would have loved 5 years ago" thing? Is when the sequel tanks. I have a few series that I ADORED beginning then the authors got brain transplants and ending..."

Why, Leslie, what ever book could you be talking about? lol

message 35: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jean wrote: "Renee, i get it......i would hope to still love the 3rd book. I really remember the first two which lately, I've been reading and then forgetting what they are about a week later. The 3rd book is a..."

I need to read it. I'm going to put it on my 'on deck ' shelf. Maybe that'll push me.

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Nay, I just spit out my iced coffee! Hee hee

message 37: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Michele wrote: "Ela - how far are you into Love Letter to Whiskey??!"

Didn't start yet.

message 38: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments I'm reading Wallbanger (Cocktail, #1) by Alice Clayton for my pick for me. It may have to cover this challenge too but I really want to try to get to A Love Letter to Whiskey by Kandi Steiner .

I read Beauty from Pain but don't remember anything about it! Never did read the next two.

message 39: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Stephanie, I loooved Wallbanger. That is so funny. Really enjoyable.

message 40: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Yay, yay, Nay, I just bought those 3 from amazon. Click on the link from Maryse’s blog.
Thankyou Nay.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Step Toward You by Liz Ashlee A 3.5 star read for me. It was as close as I could come to a "drink" themed book (he was an alcoholic who had a drunk driving accident when he was a teen, did prison time, and is now trying to stay sober). I think I'm a little tired of the bad boy who is convinced he's no good for the girl so does everything he can to drive her away storyline.

message 42: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments Lisa wrote: "Step Toward You by Liz Ashlee A 3.5 star read for me. It was as close as I could come to a "drink" themed book (he was an alcoholic who had a drunk driving accident when he was a teen, did p..."

This would be a good thread. Mine would be two people who would just have a grown up conversation it would make the book about 3 chapters long.

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I finished Beauty From Pain Beauty from Pain (Beauty, #1) by Georgia Cates and sadly, I didn't like it. It def is a "back in the day I would have enjoyed it more" type of books. I rolled my eyes a lot and I was bored. 😔 2 **

Good news is I can wipe 3 books off TBR as I am not going to continue series.

message 44: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Lol, Leslie! I think that's why I've never gone back and read the 3rd one--I was afraid my love for the first two would be tarnished. I may still try it, but I won't feel so badly now if I don't care for it.

And that reminds me that I still need to read this book. Annnnd I may change my mind again. As much as I loved Wallbanger, I just can't get excited about a romcom right now.

message 45: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Nay, it was kind of awful. It felt like I was reading it forever. Too many sex scenes *gasp* and it felt like it was trying so hard to be a FSoG copycat. I also have problem with slow, drawn out stories. It needed to be half the pages it was to keep my interest. Pleh!

I know what you mean about "mood". If romcom is turning you off right now then forcing it will just make you miserable.

message 46: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm trying this one for the challenge based on leslie's recommendation:
Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Jean, I hope you like it but I think you will love book 2 which has a swoony, broken H.

message 48: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Soooo I finally decided on Rusty Nailed by Alice Clayton, but that series and those characters are clearly no longer my 'jam'. If you're planning to read it, don't let my opinion give you any pause--this is 100% 'it's me'.

I'm happy to say that I've taken another THREE books off my tbr with deciding to call it quits with that series.

Rusty Nailed (Cocktail, #2) by Alice Clayton is a dnf for me.

message 49: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Renee, i have a feeling i will have the same problem so I've been avoiding it......and will probably never get back to the series.

message 50: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I didn't love Rusty Nailed either.

« previous 1