What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Horror, early 1900's Death not working or on holiday

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 126 comments The plot of the book is that Death has stopped working and the world is becoming overcrowded. One particular scene involves a man being electrocuted on death row and it doesn't work so they grind him up in a meat grinder but it still doesn't work and the 'meat' is still moving. That's all I can remember plot-wise

Time period seemed to be between 1900-1930 or so but it could be a couple of years on either side

I know it's NOT a book called Make Room! Make Room!

One of the covers seemed very mismatched. It was a softly hued, romantic looking cover that did not fit the subject matter at all

Any help is appreciated.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
This strikes me as familiar. I must think about it.

It could be On a Pale Horse -- it's a remote chance.
I do recall death getting fed up with the job and refuses to reap anyone, and the seen about death row seems to be there.

message 3: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie (chrissiewhitley) | 138 comments When do you think you read the book?

Are you saying the setting seems to be in that time period? When do you think the book was published?

message 4: by CJ (new)

CJ Is it Reaper Man or Mort?

message 5: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited May 19, 2019 11:40AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments Kate wrote: "It could be On a Pale Horse ... and the [scene] about death row seems to be there."

I don't recall that scene in OaPH.

Death did refuse to reap (strategically), in order to do politics amongst other aspects (Time, War, etc) - but not for a vacation.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1477 comments Still looking for this?

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (tadpoledrain) | 130 comments I can say for certain it's not Reaper Man or Mort, in response to CJ's suggestion. They don't contain anything that gross.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37832 comments Mod
Kat wrote: "I can say for certain it's not Reaper Man or Mort, in response to CJ's suggestion. They don't contain anything that gross."

You're not GracieKat the OP, right?

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (tadpoledrain) | 130 comments Nope. I'm just familiar enough with those books to know they don't contain the scene she described.

message 12: by Winterwhisper (new)

Winterwhisper | 8 comments Could it be Death with interruptions? Death with Interruptions