Play Book Tag discussion

The Outsiders
This topic is about The Outsiders
Archive: Other Books > The Outsiders- S. E. Hinton - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments This is my third time reading this book. The first time was in 8th grade, the second time in high school, and now as a 30 year old.

How Hinton could write this masterpiece as a 16 year old for a school assignment is a wonder.

This time through, this book has meant so much more to me. Its the story of Ponyboy Curtis, who is raised by his 20 year old brother after his parents were killed in an automobile accident. He is a greaser, a pseudo gang of rebels who grow their hair out long and add grease. They are rivaled by the Socs, a pseudo gang of rich kids.

The title struck me more this time around. The Outsiders. Who are the outsiders? The greasers? The rebels of the town? Is it teenagers that are the Outsiders, Greasers and Soc alike trying to find out who they are and where they belong? It is Ponyboy, Johnny, Darrel, and Dally, each a Greaser but different than the rest of the gang in their own way. Ponyboy who loves sun sets and makes good grades, Johnny who is the "lost puppy" of the gang, Darrel who has responsibilities unlike the rest of the gang, and Dally who is the hardest and most lost of them all.

Very deep topics are covered by this 16 year old first time author such as family, tragedy, social classes, teenagers, and acceptance. I loved this book even more this time around.

Now time for the movie again.

message 2: by LibraryCin (new) - added it

LibraryCin | 8334 comments I recently saw a play of "The Outsiders" which prompted me to buy the DVD. Have yet to watch it, but I should also reread the book!