Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Cynda Loves to Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 264 (264 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Hi I am Cynda. I will be awake deep into the night reading.

I am planning on reading

Be Free Where You Are by Thich Nhat Hanh Be Free Where You Are by Thich Nhat Hanh
and
Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton Ethan Frome, Summer, Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton. I will definitely read "Summer" and maybe "Brunner Sisters" as I have already read "Ethan Frome" years ago.

message 2: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments I am sipping tea all night. I have my books beside me. (I have already started my Thich Nhat Hanh.

I am sitting on the large sectional sofa. If I need to nap, I will just lie back and relax.

Life is good when I have time blocked out for reading :-)

message 3: by Jana (new)

Jana Eichhorn | 161 comments Sounds fantastic! Hope you're having a great readathon!

message 4: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments You too Jana :-)

message 5: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments I have just finished very small Thich Nhat Hanh book. I will review some of the things I underlined.
Then I will move on to Edith Wharton novellas.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 111 comments Hi Cynda! here is my thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Okay! Thanks Beth :-)

message 8: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Likely I will finish my reading goals, so I am adding.
I am deep into reading The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe by Ann Radcliffe
I am on page 431 of 672. I would like to read to page 512 to get Volume 4 inn the novel. It is a goal. I may or may not achieve it.

message 9: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 122 comments Cynda wrote: "Life is good when I have time blocked out for reading :-) ..."

Hi Cynda! I so agree with you!! Do you plan to read / stay up the whole 24 hours? Hope you are having an enjoyable read-a-thon so far!!

message 10: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Hi Angie. I don't think so. I felt poorly earlier today--doc fixed me up--andI slept into later afternoon. So I will be up for awhile. Maybe a couple hours more. I will set my alarm for just 6 hours. Then the Readathon begins again for me.

How about you Angie? Are you staying up until you can't read anymore?

message 11: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments I am calling it quits for a few hours. I have read 2 selections. More after some sleep. Good Luck All

message 12: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Welcome to your first RAT! How fun! Don't pressure yourself, ANY reading that is accomplished is a win! Get some sleep and come back refreshed! Good luck!

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 414 comments Mod
I hope you're enjoying your first RAT!

message 14: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Thanks Ladies :-)

Had to sleep. Had to work--housesitting.
Now finally some reading time. Whew.
Have altered my Reading Plan.
I am now reading
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka by Franz Kafka

message 15: by Elyse (last edited Jul 29, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Cynda wrote: "Thanks Ladies :-)

Had to sleep. Had to work--housesitting.
Now finally some reading time. Whew.
Have altered my Reading Plan.
I am now reading
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka by [author:Fran..."

Good to get something short out of the way, feel more accomplished and gets you in the rhythm! :)

message 16: by Cynda (last edited Jul 28, 2018 10:04PM) (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Indeed Elyse:-)
I think I will stay with novellas and maybe short story collections next time. Seems to work.

Last Survey

1. Which hour was the most daunting for you? I am a sick old lady (just a fact) so I have to do what I have to do. Plus I am working as a housitter. Yet for all that, I was able to get 3 books added to Goodreads Reading Goal for the year all in one 24-hour set. Success!

2. Tell us Allll the books you read.
Be Free Where You Are by Thich Nhat Hanh
Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Book 1 of 2 Utopia by Thomas More that is the more difficultmofmthe 2 books, so I am happy with having read the first Book.

3. Which books would recommend to others?
I suggest what worked for me: Selecting shorter works to build a sense of success. For me it was not so much the number of pages as number of titles.

4. How you feel about this first ever Reverse Readathon?
My first Readathon. I do not recognize as reverse or forward Readathon. I just enjoyed myself as much as possible.

5. How likely are you to participate in the Readathon again? Will you be interested in volunteering ton to help organize or keeping October?
I will be glad to be a cheerleader for a couple of hours in the afternoon or evening.

Thanks Beth of Goodreads for letting me and others knkw about this Readathon :-) Thank you various ladies, including
Elyse
Avid Reader
Angie
Jana
For your encouragement.
Health and Happiness to All

message 17: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Great job, Cynda! Glad you had a good time! :)

message 18: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Thanks Elyse. I am ready to start posting again. Exxxxcited,

message 19: by Cynda (last edited Oct 16, 2018 06:25PM) (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Working on Bingo#1. I will finish Bingo#1 this time. In spring, I will make am better plan to start Bingo-ing or gaming earlier.

My Bingo Card:

Black Cover: Seeing Voices by Oliver Sacks Read Oct 16
Horror: The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane by Laird Koenig Read Oct 14
~~~Free Book~~~~
Illustrations: Mary Cassatt by Jay Roudebush Read Oct 11
History: Damnation Island: Poor, Sick, Mad, & Criminal in 19th-Century New York by Stacy Horn Read Oct 09

Participation is a good thing.

message 20: by Cynda (last edited Oct 19, 2018 10:45PM) (new)

Cynda | 489 comments I have my bed made with newly laundered sheets and my kitchen table scrubved cleaned with reading materials stacked in a corner there. Tea is brewing for tomorrow so I can put it in the fridge tonight. So excited.
Excited.

Better sleep some.

message 21: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 863 comments Sounds good Cynda! Happy readathon!

message 22: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 74 comments Hopefully you get some good reading in!

message 23: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Cynda wrote: "I have my bed made with newly laundered sheets and my kitchen table scrubved cleaned with reading materials stacked in a corner there. Tea is brewing for tomorrow so I can put it in the fridge toni..."

Sounds so nice!! Good luck!

message 24: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Thanks Susy. I had a great time. Thank you for all you do here 🐛

message 25: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Maddison wrote: "Hopefully you get some good reading in!"

Maddison wrote: "Hopefully you get some good reading in!"

Hi Maddison. I saw and liked the Elizabeth Norris quote. I have linked her name here so I can learn more 🦉

message 26: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Elyse wrote: "Cynda wrote: "I have my bed made with newly laundered sheets and my kitchen table scrubved cleaned with reading materials stacked in a corner there. Tea is brewing for tomorrow so I can put it in t..."

Hi Elyse, Thanks I enjoyed myself. I think you did too. See you here in spring 😎

message 27: by Cynda (last edited Oct 21, 2018 01:19PM) (new)

Cynda | 489 comments With better planning and having more options reading available, I was able to increase my reading pages and titles.
Hard Copies
1. Finished 55 Pages
What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky
by Lesley Nneka Arimah
What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky by Lesley Nneka Arimah
2. Read Whole 236 Pages
The Wrong Heaven
byAmy Bonnaffons
The Wrong Heaven by Amy Bonnaffons
3. Continued 49 Pages
Northanger Abbey
by Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
4. Continued 69 Pages
Jude the Obscure
by Thomas Hardy
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
Audiobooks
1. Listened Whole 48 Pages
The Machine Stops
by E.M. Forster
The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster
2. Started +/-80 Pages
Perrault's Fairy Tales
by Charles Perrault
Perrault's Fairy Tales by Charles Perrault
Grand Total: 337 Pages

message 28: by Cynda (last edited Oct 21, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Summary
~~~What Went Well~~~
Started/Continued/Completed some Goals.
With Groups/Friends/Self. Every selection helped me in these goals.

Household Planning done Correctly. Apartment adequately cleaned. Food and tea things prepared. What might be too much extra was often put in freezer. Places where I read cleaned andnprepped for reading comfort.

Audio books excellent selection when starting to tire too much. Something lighter, such a Long Short Story/Novella and Fairy Tales, nothing too thoughtful or intense.

This Readathon is late in year, so I took This opportunity to to work on last/nearly last bits of challenges and friendship agreements.

message 29: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments First Ideas about Spring Readathon.
Early in Year. No pressure to meet goals set for year. Enjoynsime novellas, short stories, fairytales. Read by Audiobook.

message 30: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Great job, Cynda!

message 32: by Elyse (last edited Apr 06, 2019 06:04AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Cynda wrote: "My options
Jane AustenLove and Friendship by Jane Austen
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry..."

The Little Prince is so wonderful, I read it in English for last April's 'thon. Read it in French back in high school. I really need to pick up the Sandman graphic novels. I will acquire this year to read for next April's! Good luck and have fun!

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth | 111 comments Cynda wrote: "My options

I love Sandman!!! Hope you like it!

message 34: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments First Hour Survey

1. I live in Corpus Christi, Texas.
2. I have this year discovered for myself the writing and the illustration of Jules Feiffer. I am most looking forward this readathon to readingnhis A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears
A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer
3. I will soon be enjoying chocolate covered raisins.
4. I practice yoga, love my cat, amd read obsessively.
5. Food was the thing last time. Reading with periods of resting/breathing and visiting with readers is the plan this time.

message 35: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Beth wrote: "Cynda wrote: "My options

I love Sandman!!! Hope you like it!"

My first Neil Gaimian. I am reading as a genre-expanding selection :-)

Where are you posting Beth?

message 36: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Elyse wrote: "Cynda wrote: "My options
Jane AustenLove and Friendship by Jane Austen
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry..."

The Little Prince is so wonderful, I read it in English for l..."

Thanks Elyse :-) I re-read Prince last year after many years. I continue to think of the little fox :-)

message 37: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments I have taken 2 naps. And I am neginning to feel the edges of sleepiness. I might need to risk another snooze nap. Maybe just here in this big oversized office chair.

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth | 111 comments I am posting on my blog!
https://bethsbookishthoughts.blogspot...

I may or may not have a chance to post again before the end, but I will definitely do the closing survey.

message 39: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Sent you a private message Beth. Two actually. One was update and, one was apology.

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Intriguing list! I’ve got that version of Don Quixote on my TBR pile too. I read Caught in the Web of Words awhile ago and really enjoyed its inside view into the making of a dictionary. Enjoy your reading!

message 42: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Susan wrote: "Intriguing list! I’ve got that version of Don Quixote on my TBR pile too. I read Caught in the Web of Words awhile ago and really enjoyed its inside view into the making of a dictionary. Enjoy your..."

Thanks Susan :-)
Since you have read Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary, I wonder if you have yet read The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester?
Thanks for stopping by.

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Cynda Cat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Intriguing list! I’ve got that version of Don Quixote on my TBR pile too. I read Caught in the Web of Words awhile ago and really enjoyed its inside view into the making of a dictiona..."

Yes, I did and enjoyed that one, too. Have you? I keep meaning to read more of Simon Winchester’s books like the one about Krakatoa which also sounds good....

message 44: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Susan wrote: "Cynda Cat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Intriguing list! I’ve got that version of Don Quixote on my TBR pile too. I read Caught in the Web of Words awhile ago and really enjoyed its inside view into the ma..."

Yes Susan I read the book several times until a GR friend told me about Caught in the web. There is also now a movie out about The Professor and the Madman starring Sean Penn and Mel Gibson. I have not yet seen.

message 45: by Cynda (last edited Jul 29, 2019 05:16PM) (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Susan, I have read a couple if Winchester's books, including A Crack in the Edge of the World and Pacific: The Ocean of the Future I so want to do a Simon Winchester personal challenge. If we continue to chat, I would be open to reading Simon Winchester together. I am definitely open to reading Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883 and Atlantic: Great Sea Battles, Heroic Discoveries, Titanic Storms & a Vast Ocean of a Million Stories amkng others.

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Cynda Cat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Cynda Cat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Intriguing list! I’ve got that version of Don Quixote on my TBR pile too. I read Caught in the Web of Words awhile ago and really enjoyed its inside vi..."

How cool! I hadn’t heard about the movie, but the trailer looks intriguing. I’ll have to keep an eye out to see if it comes to Netflix eventually ;)

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Cynda Cat wrote: "Susan, I have read a couple if Winchester's books, including A Crack in the Edge of the World and Pacific: The Ocean of the Future I so want to do a Simon Winchester pe..."

Cynda Cat, Good luck with your Simon Winchester personal challenge! I can’t tackle Krakatoa right now unfortunately. I didn’t realize he had written so many books. The one about the San Francisco earthquake looks good too. Did you like it?

message 48: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Susan wrote: "Cynda Cat wrote: "Susan, I have read a couple if Winchester's books, including A Crack in the Edge of the World and Pacific: The Ocean of the Future I so want to do a S..."

Yes. Great detailed discussion of the San Fracisco Fire of 1906, lack of city planning made the earthquakes results much worse, development of bulding code, and much more.

message 49: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments See you at the Readathon this Weekend. I will come by your thread to say"hello and best wishes."

message 50: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Welcome back! Looks like heavy reading!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6