The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Genre Challenge 2018 > August - Science Fiction/Dystopia

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Jul 27, 2018 07:56PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 3824 comments Mod
This month's genre is Science Fiction/Dystopia.

The books chosen can be YA or for adult readers.
Dystopias seem to be a popular theme for YA books right now.

message 2: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments I plan to read Frankenstein.

message 3: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I'm thinking about Red Rising.

message 4: by Susan (last edited Jul 28, 2018 03:26PM) (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 42 comments I’ve been reading a lot of sci fi lately. I’m part of the way through Isaac Asimov’s short story collection Robot Dreams. It’s amazing, but I need to take breaks with short story collections. For a novel, I'll probably read Philip K. Dick’s Vulcan's Hammer next.

message 5: by Badlydone (last edited Jul 30, 2018 06:55AM) (new)

Badlydone | 131 comments I'm going to read The Hunger Games - it has been on my TBR shelf for years now.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments I'm going for Brave New World by Aldous Huxley! 😊

message 7: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I may do a reread of that book, Paula. I haven't read it for ages.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Allison wrote: "I'm thinking about Red Rising."

I loved that series! It’s engrossing - part Hunger Games, part Harry Potter, and part Star Wars - I loved it, but so did my husband and SIL.

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I may do a reread of that book, Paula. I haven't read it for ages."

It's a first for me so looking forward to getting started!

message 10: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 136 comments Badlydone wrote: "I'm going to read The Hunger Games - it has been on my TBR shelf for years now."

I hope you enjoy it! The first and 2nd took me easily enough, but the 3rd was more of a struggle. The first is captivating!

message 11: by Glennis (last edited Aug 17, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Glennis | 136 comments Not a favored genre... I picked up a copy of Divergent.... It's been popular enough. If I can't get into it, I'll find something by Michael Crichton....I've always liked his books.
But I'm open to suggestions!
8/7/18 - I read Divergent in 4 days.... I guess I liked it well enough!
Especially since I'm hunting for Insurgent now...
8/17/18 - Insurgent got here. I'll finish it this afternoon...only about 25 pages left. Allegiant and Four are on the way. Might not get both read in August....we'll see!

message 12: by Inese (new)

Inese | 3 comments Glennis have you tried The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison? It's witty and fun. For this month I read Animal Farm by George Orwell and The Belles. The first one was really good. I love how Orwell writes but as for The Belles it was too childish and too many cupcakes. Hope you will find a book you will enjoy!

message 13: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

An author I highly recommend for this genre is John Wyndham. I have enjoyed all of his books. If you are looking for a light- hearted read, I highly recommend Chocky.

message 14: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 131 comments Glennis, I am about half way through the first Hunger Games, and it is really good! I look forward to reading the whole series..

message 15: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments I finished Frankenstein today, but it wasn’t to my taste. I’m new to this genre, only encouraged to read it due to some of the modern books. Although this was beautifully written, I found the story quite tedious.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Trisha wrote: "I finished Frankenstein today, but it wasn’t to my taste. I’m new to this genre, only encouraged to read it due to some of the modern books. Although this was beautifully written, I..."

Although it can be considered science fiction, I think Frankenstein is more the first of the classic horror novels (Dracula, Jeckyl&Hyde are a few others). For classic science fiction, I think of Jules Verne and HG Wells. The so-called golden age is 50s and 60s sci-fi with authors like Heinlein, Pohl, Clarke, Asimov, etc.

Some I have loved through the years include:
Stranger in a Strange Land
Childhood's End
I, Robot

Newer sci-fi to consider:
The Martian
Red Rising

I really developed a love of reading when I was 7 because I loved the space program and a school librarian introduced me to a series that was somewhat science fiction-y

message 17: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and its sequels are good if you like British humour.

message 18: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments Thank you for this, Cindy & Rosemarie. It always helps to get recommendations - though my To-Read list here & my Amazon wish list are getting ridiculously long!

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

There are also many books by H.G. Wells. I liked The War of the Worlds and The Time Machine.

message 20: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 430 comments I plan to read either Animal Farm or Clockwork Orange this month. I have some stuff to finish first so they may run over into September.

message 21: by Pramit (new)

Pramit Dey | 1 comments The Fifth Season series by N K Jemisin. Two consecutive books of the series won the Hugo award. Set in a world where the continents are one and the wrath of Father Earth is supreme, people have to survive seasons or prolonged hugely unfavorable climates. Add to that earthquakes and tsunamis. But the most imp part is of the presence of orogenes or humans who can become one with the earth and seem to calm the earthquakes and all the vagaries of shifting of tectonic plates etc. A riveting read

message 22: by Trisha (new)

message 23: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 430 comments I have never heard of that Trisha. What was it like?

message 24: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments Sonia wrote: "I have never heard of that Trisha. What was it like?"

I didn’t expect such modern ideas from Forster. Imagine being able to communicate with people who are a long way away! Seriously, he predicted online communication & fast long distance travel, many years before such things were possible. It’s only short, (48 pages) & available free from Goodreads online if you use the version The Machine Stops and Other Stories. I didn’t especially like the style of writing, but the ideas were clever.

message 25: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 136 comments Inese wrote: "Glennis have you tried The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison? It's witty and fun. For this month I read Animal Farm by George Orwell and The Belles. The first one was really good. I love how Or..."
No...but it sounds fun.
I did read Divergent....in search of Insurgent now.... LOL!
Thanks for the suggestion!

message 26: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 136 comments Badlydone wrote: "Glennis, I am about half way through the first Hunger Games, and it is really good! I look forward to reading the whole series.."
Thanks! That's one series I did read! Lol....

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Just finished All Systems Red - it's more novella length but I liked this and will likely continue on in the series. The premise concerns an android who's hacked his governor, does not have the programming inhibitions of other androids, and just wants to be left alone to try to figure out who he is (and watch a few videos).

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 42 comments Rosemarie wrote: "There are also many books by H.G. Wells. I liked The War of the Worlds and The Time Machine."

I recently finished Philip K. Dick's Dr. Futurity (my review) and one scene distinctly reminded me of The Time Machine. Now I'm in the mood to reread The Time Machine.

message 29: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 131 comments Finished The Hunger Games and really loved it. I plan on reading the other books in the series, and hope that they are as good.

message 30: by GV King (new)

GV King (gvking) | 1 comments I'm going to read A Brave New World by A. Huxley

message 31: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments Badlydone they are

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I read The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett. I liked some of it, but parts of the story were boring with not much happening.

message 33: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments Badlydone wrote: "Finished The Hunger Games and really loved it. I plan on reading the other books in the series, and hope that they are as good."

I’ve been wondering about this book - glad you enjoyed it, I’ll have to try it. But my TBR list is getting very long...

message 34: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I reread Brave New World. I hadn't read it for over 20 years. I found it somewhat dated in terms of the technology, but the message is more valid than ever. People in the book were afraid to be alone, and nowadays many people seem to be glued to their cellphones instead of observing the world around them.

message 35: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 796 comments I read The Day of the Triffids which I enjoyed. I will read more by Wyndham at some time.

message 36: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am glad you enjoyed it, Trisha. There is a movie as well, which I haven't seen for a long time.

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I did not know Day of the Triffids was a movie. I really liked the book. I will also read more Wyndham some time in the future.

message 38: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Finished To Your Scattered Bodies Go - it was just okay for me and not something I'm likely to continue reading

message 39: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I have not read anything by that author, Cindy.
The title is taken from a famous poem, which I don't remember!

message 40: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have not read anything by that author, Cindy.
The title is taken from a famous poem, which I don't remember!"

It was a big series back in the mid-70s (I never got around to reading it then, although that was probably my favorite genre at the time) but it was not as good as I'd hoped. Too focused on one or two historical characters and less on the action.

message 41: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
I remember the Riverworld books were quite popular in the 80s. I worked in a bookstore back then and have still got several things like this on my internal TBR. Sorry to hear it didn’t live up to expectations.

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 810 comments Finished Cinder - not sure if this one was quite what I was expecting, and gee, I hate the abrupt ending. Overall this one was just okay for me.