Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Liz G's Blogless Blog (Dewey Reverseathon 2018)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgotauco) | 38 comments I've been wondering how to be more active on Goodreads for my readathon! Thanks for creating this group! I keep my Insta private and traditionally open it publicly for readathon weekends - but I think for the reverse readathon I'll try updates here!

Hoping to get in 12 hours (probably will more likely be between 8-10). A lot of it will be on audio as I have to clean my apartment for guests and do some cooking. But very happy to have a second readathon and happening in consecutive weekends - so thanks for doing this!

My TBR this weekend is:
-Finishing The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge (it's so good so far)
-Working on audio of Want by Cindy Pon (good story, kind of meh on the narrator though)
-a bunch of comics: Wonder Woman (George Perez), Strong Female Protagonist, and more!

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgotauco) | 38 comments It's opening survey time!

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Rhode Island!

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Finishing The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge because it is most excellent!

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Popcorn because I'm gonna eat it right now!

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm a librarian and a singer and I LOVE comics!

5) This is our VERY first Reverse Readathon! How does it feel in your time zone?
It's sort of nice to start in the evening for a change -- for the first time I started right away, ha!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Hey Liz! Happy to have you join us here on Goodreads! I hope this works out for you. And yay for getting to start on time :)

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgotauco) | 38 comments Hour three-ish updates:

Read the first several issues of the George Perez collection of Wonder Woman comics. I really like it so far!

And I'm going to try to read til midnight, but I'm gonna switch to paper and work on The Lie Tree, which so far is like The Secret Garden meets a gothic mystery but with more modern sensibilities! (Aka feminism, women in STEM, etc) - Loving it.

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgotauco) | 38 comments Oh and so far I've read two hours and hope to get in another 30-40 min before sleepy times!

message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments My list is mostly comics/graphic novels this time around. Makes me feel more accomplished and it's just fun! Plus easier on the eyes. I did sleep for 5 hours though, I had to. lol. The Lie Tree is on my long-term TBR! Good luck!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 165 comments Hi Liz, Thanks for stopping by my thread to cheer me on! I hope you feel refreshed and ready to read after some sleep. I'm in the same time zone, so I crashed around the same time you probably did.

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgotauco) | 38 comments I'm back a bit past the halfway mark! Trying to get as much reading done between now and 6 pm as I have a friend visiting around that time. Even though not much has happened since I've been sleeping, here's my mid-survey:

1. What are you reading right now?
Same stuff - Lie Tree and Want

2. How many books have you read so far?
Just pieces of three

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
I'm looking forward to the Lie tree because when I read Want (audio) I'll be cleaning 😂

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
I had to sleep - I had a long hard week and while I was hoping to get up early, my body needed the full 8 hours so here I am!

5. What surprises you most about the Reverse Readathon so far?
Well, I think I prefer the other version: in this version, since I only read a small chunk and then slept, I feel like I'm catching up now. Still fun though!

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgotauco) | 38 comments Accidentally read straight thru three hours! 1.5 of audio, then the rest finishing The Lie Tree! An excellent, excellent book! Macabre Victorian mystery with gothic elements, a thoughtful exploration of what it means to be a girl/woman, a celebration of science and knowledge! #reversereadathon #deweys24hourreadathon

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgotauco) | 38 comments I'm throwing in the towel tonight night with 8 hours and 38 minutes! Not bad for a last minute Readathon!

Books read:
Finished The Lie Tree by Hardinge
Continued Want by Cindy Pon
Started Wonder Woman by George Perez vol 1
Started Rise of the Dungeon Master: Gary Gygax and the Creation of D&D

message 11: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 122 comments Hey Liz! That is great for a last minute RaT!! I was going to ask how you liked the Lie Tree, but you answered it in your updates. I think I will try that one.

message 12: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Great job, Liz!