Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Mother Nature

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6033 comments So .. we live in a suburban area on a heavily wooded lot. We get lots of wildlife - deer, turkeys, coyotes, fox, possums, raccoons, woodchucks, etc. It's not uncommon to see a doe or two with their fawns at this time of year.

Today, we were sitting at supper and my husband looked up and exclaimed. So I turned to look out the bay window, and there stood a doe in our garden, with her fawn busily and EAGERLY nursing! We watched them for at least 5 minutes. I even got up and went into the sun room where the view was a bit less obstructed (from the dining area, she was partially hidden behind a tree).

But there was another surprise in store when she decided enough was enough and she started to walk away. There were TWO fawns ... they'd been standing next to one another and we could only see one ... in fact, for a brief nanosecond it looked as if the one fawn had two heads!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Oh how cool. My folks have a similar yard, to the point where deer are a nuisance, but I'm sure they'd love to see nursing fawns.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That is so amazing!! Its nice to see that someone else gets excited over this kind of stuff. In the last two months I see both doe and their fawns and I literally take a picture everyday. My kids think I'm nuts.:) I can sit and watch this kind of stuff for so long.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6218 comments I love sharing my living space with nature. We get wild turkeys at work and there is a mommy with about 10 babies, we also have lots of cottontail rabbits one morning we looked out the window and saw six nibbling the grass.

What we get that is not so lovable are skunks who while cute are extremely smelly. They like to live under our building, a portable classroom. Then they have to be trapped and remove which is no easy task.

We do not get deer this far into the Sacramento valley.

message 5: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments How lovely!

message 6: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Sounds magical!

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8646 comments Oh, beautiful...

message 8: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I was really impressed by the nature in the US - in Israel all I could hope for (in a small city) was lots of street cats, maybe a random turtle or porcupine if you are really lucky. Lots of brown birds

Minnesota - deer, raccoons, foxes, amazing colourful birds like cardinals ...

At least in Sydney there are few pretty birds

message 9: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Oh wow - the wildlife I see from home is limited to birds. And on the field next door the cows might graze right in front of the windows.

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1208 comments I love it! Fawns are so cute!
I heard a quail out in our pasture the other day. It makes me so happy when they use our property- they’re not here every year. I also have a ground squirrel making a home in my herb garden under a stepping stone. It’s not hurting anything, but I’m not sure how long its life will be with the 4 foot long fox snake as a neighbor...

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6033 comments Ah yes, the ground squirrels (or chipmunks). A couple made their home under our patio last year ... we evicted them. A few years ago one persistent chipmunk kept trying to burrow under our air-conditioner. We finally managed to dissuade him/her. We love watching them in and around the garden, we just don't want them living that close to the house.

This summer my husband is at war with the voles/moles.

message 12: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments This sounds similar to a moment I had recently while visiting back home, only instead of the momma deer nursing her baby, she was industriously licking its behind. A little less magical, but still fun to be able to just sit and watch from the back window. The deer at my parents' place used to be so tame they would follow us around, but one day we kids decided it was getting creepy and did our best to scare the crap out of them. They've been wary of us ever since, which was probably for the best, but it did make me feel a little less like a nature princess.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Love this story! I'm in the midst of moving downtown and this will be the type of thing I will completely miss. I love the birds and natural wildlife (including lots of deer and fawns) . . .but feel the need to try something new.

message 14: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments Some weird stuff still happens in cities Anita! My office is next to a highway, in a very not-full-of-nature place, and the other day as I was walking to my car, I saw a fox just calmly crossing the parking lot. We often see groundhogs around there, but the fox was a new one!

message 15: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8646 comments Sushicat wrote: "Oh wow - the wildlife I see from home is limited to birds. And on the field next door the cows might graze right in front of the windows."

Mostly I get birds, we have have lots of jackrabbits (hares) and squirrels, too. :-)

At my work, we back on to a provincial park, so occasionally we'll get deer (over in a different building from where I work, they see more) and coyotes.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I live next to ABAC Agricultural College so we get plenty of animals. Cows, horses, deer, birds, squirrels, donkey and much more. I love to see wildlife.....except when they hit my car.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I live next to ABAC Agricultural College so we get plenty of animals. Cows, horses, deer, birds, squirrels, donkey and much more. I love to see wildlife.....except when they hit my car.

message 18: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Oh wow!! How beautiful!

My old work used to get deer, and fawns. They actually had to build a gate around it because people were scaring them, and it was becoming detrimental to the animals. We caught someone trying to feed a fawn a taco bell taco one time.....

Now I live on a golf course, and we have a pack (herd?) of turkeys that roam around. I see them about once or twice a week out my back porch. Pretty normal stuff around here.

message 19: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6218 comments Joi wrote: "Oh wow!! How beautiful!

My old work used to get deer, and fawns. They actually had to build a gate around it because people were scaring them, and it was becoming detrimental to the animals. We ca..."

I had to look it up a group of turkeys is called a rafter.

message 20: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8646 comments Joi wrote: "We caught someone trying to feed a fawn a taco bell taco one time..... ..."

omg... Wonder about people... Sigh.