Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4)
This topic is about The Wicked Day
Mary's Arthurian Series > The Wicked Day - Book II (The WItch's Sons)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1084 comments For discussion of Book II.

message 3: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Don't get too far ahead of me! I can't pick up my book until Wednesday!

message 4: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Which cliffs are these, btw?

message 5: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I'm just at Chapter 1--I'll try not to gulp it down :) These are the cliffs at Hoy.

message 6: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments We have lots of hawks and falcons, and every time I see one, my heart stops! The Birds of Prey Center, for conservation, is about 125 miles to our south on the Snake River, and we even have a friend who has a trained falcon. Amazing birds!

message 7: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments We actually have quite a few in the Boston area. There is a family of Red Tailed Hawks that loves to soar on the thermals near my apartment building in Brookline. They take my breath away!

message 8: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Makes me want to find a copy of Ladyhawk and watch it again!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments I can't start yet. Too many other books going on. I will join as soon as I can. I have one audio going with a buddy read, and one physical book to finish up for another buddy read. I am a bit of a buddy read addict. Sigh....

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Hana wrote: "A Peregrine Falcon nest on a cliff. Peregrine's are the world fastest animal. I can well imagine any falconer wanting one of these awesome birds. "

They are beautiful! Thanks for the pics!!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Karlyne wrote: "We have lots of hawks and falcons, and every time I see one, my heart stops! The Birds of Prey Center, for conservation, is about 125 miles to our south on the Snake River, and we even have a frien..."

We have the opportunity to visit birds of prey here as well. The Environmental Center has quite a few rescues. I love going to see them. Such beautiful and fascinating animals.

message 12: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Whereabouts are you, debbicat?

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Karlyne wrote: "Whereabouts are you, debbicat?"

I am in Mobile, Alabama Karlyne. Off the gulf coast. They have a nice pelican rescue to. The Center is part of Mobile County School System (which I work for). The public can go and see all the animals. They have a raptor show that tours as well. I think we are fortunate to have something like that. The public can "adopt/sponsor" each animal (donation). Beautiful owls, eagles, hawks. I love to go that and walk.

message 14: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Whereabouts are you, debbicat?"

I am in Mobile, Alabama Karlyne. Off the gulf coast. They have a nice pelican rescue to. The Center is part of Mobile County School System (which I ..."

It sounds wonderful! The exact opposite of our center, which is arid, high desert, canyon land.

Bobbie | 180 comments I am in Texas and have an eagle's nest near us so I stop by there quite often when they are nesting. My 8 year old grandson said "You have liked eagles as long as I have known you. " Cute!

message 16: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments When we have those "What kind of an animal would you be if you could be any kind?" conversations, I always go for eagle.

I thought I had a couple of The Wicked Day hiding in a long-distance book shelf, but I don't! I'm pretty sure the library does, though, so I'll check tomorrow...

message 17: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I just realized I put my pictures in the wrong thread! Moving them to Part I where they belong :D

message 18: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Haha! I only noticed a bit ago that this is Book 2!

message 19: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I'll just have to come up with a whole new set of pictures when I finally arrive here legitimately!

message 20: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments In the meanwhile before I get to Book II I'm hoping for some hawking in Camalot....

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Karlyne. Yes. It’s coastal. So very humid. They have an alligator too. A lake with turtles. Snakes. Lots of birds. A bog. Walking trails. It’s a great resource. :)

I’m enjoying this book. But I miss Merlin. As I suspected I would.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments I'm up to the start of Chapter 6. One word - enthralling!

message 23: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments It is enthralling! I'm finding Mordred even more likeable than Arthur was as a boy!

message 24: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments So, if you look up the definition of "evil" in the dictionary, does Morgause's face pop up, I wonder...

message 25: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Wrong thread again! Good grief. Must be the book's fault...

message 26: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Well, Morgause is evil in both books ;)

message 27: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Chapter 1. Every time Morgause shows back up, I find myself reading with one eye and that one all squinty. Such concentrated evil! I'm hoping someone puts a permanent end to her and soon.
Villains are generally very one-dimensional: they're bad, or they're bad but there's excuse for them, extenuating circumstance or some such so that we pity them or, at least "understand" them. But Morgause, with her flesh and blood fears (only for herself) is in another category. She's completely both selfish and self-centered, vicious and without one redeeming quality. And scary.

message 28: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "Well, Morgause is evil in both books ;)"

True! The comments fit her no matter where she is!

message 29: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Chapter 4: WELL, THAT WAS A SURPRISE!

message 30: by Hana (last edited Aug 13, 2018 12:33PM) (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Part of the problem is that Book I is very long--190 pages in my edition--and it covers a very long time period. Truthfully, Book I feels like two books to me.

message 31: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Just to be on the safe side ;)....we're talking Chapter 4 in Book II, the bit with Lamorak? If so, yes. Classic Mary Stewart doing her brilliant action writing bit. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Yes, book 2: I'm not sure why I was so shocked, knowing what a genius Our Mary was, but she caught me out on this one.

message 33: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Karlyne, re Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

message 34: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Part of the genius of Mary Stewart and this book is the vivid sense of deadly violence as a normal part of human interaction. I am so grateful that I've been spared the worst of that sort of horror--though I was brushed by it in the crime filled 1970s in New York.

message 35: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "Karlyne, re Chapter 4: [spoilers removed]"

No more staring into the dark pool of dishwashing for me!

message 36: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "Part of the genius of Mary Stewart and this book is the vivid sense of deadly violence as a normal part of human interaction. I am so grateful that I've been spared the worst of that sort of horror..."

She makes the good, the bad, and the ugly all seem so... human. Even Morgause, without a drop of compassion or kindness, seems real.

I've never had to deal with violence in my life at all (although I've thought about committing some, but never mind about that). I've pretty much always lived in rural areas, and my brief sojourns into city life have only been violent to my ears. This world of power and intrigue are as foreign to me as Inner Mongolia. Or Washington, D.C.

message 37: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Who knows what evil lies in the heart of dish water! The Shadow Knows

message 38: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "Who knows what evil lies in the heart of dish water! The Shadow Knows"

Well, at least my dishwater isn't cold and murky! Hmmm. One of the closest-to-pure-evil people I've ever met used to fill up the sink with dirty dishes and water, and then leave it, considering that he'd "done the dishes". Yeah, I did not ever put my hand in there!

message 39: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Ch. 11: Oh, the Witch's Sons! What tragedy Morgause's evil brings with it! When I was younger, "the sins of the father" was a weird concept to me, so impersonal and almost inconsequential because it seemed so far-off and nebulous. To our independent, pull-yourself-up-by-your-own-bootstraps culture this seems like heresy. But, once you come to realize that every action has a consequence, that, in fact, no man is an island, what your parents and their parents and yourself have done lends credence to it. It's a fact that the sins of the parents will be visited upon their children.

message 40: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Yes, that was my reaction exactly, Karlyne. Morgause's sons and how Morgause's original power-driven coupling with Arthur resonates across generations in a devastating and completely believable way. I've seen families in which that happens and I think Mary Stewart's rendering is completely on target.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Oh my yes! That was quite a shock and clever. (Morgause). I in no way expected that.

I agree, the first book was very long! I thought I’d never get thru it. And this could totally be a stand alone. I never realized that.

message 42: by Hana (last edited Aug 15, 2018 03:07PM) (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Nimue is wonderful contrast to Morgause. Two women of power, but only one has genuine wisdom. I love the scene in Book II Chapter 6 when Mordred (view spoiler)

I knew we would get back to falcons sooner or later :) (view spoiler)

message 43: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments

message 44: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: ""

Whoa! Now I see what Mordred meant!

message 45: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Oh my yes! That was quite a shock and clever. (Morgause). I in no way expected that.

I agree, the first book was very long! I thought I’d never get thru it. And this could totally be a stand alon..."

Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Oh my yes! That was quite a shock and clever. (Morgause). I in no way expected that.

I agree, the first book was very long! I thought I’d never get thru it. And this could totally be a stand alon..."

I think Book 1 could have been a stand alone book itself. Mordred's childhood was fascinating to me!

message 46: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments P.S. This is actually a goshawk, not a falcon, but I couldn't resist that photo :)

message 47: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "P.S. This is actually a goshawk, not a falcon, but I couldn't resist that photo :)"

Chuckle! I didn't even notice! My bird book is falling apart, but mostly on the little bird pages; the hawks and falcons are hard to identify because they're so fast and sneaky! On a side note, I've got thrashers taking baths in the overrun from my stock tank planters. I let the water run a bit longer for them because they're serious grasshopper eaters!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Hana wrote: "P.S. This is actually a goshawk, not a falcon, but I couldn't resist that photo :)"

Wow, I love his/her "Don't mess with me!" expression!

message 49: by Hana (last edited Aug 15, 2018 03:01PM) (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments I'm not a falconer, nor even a really skilled birder (my hearing isn't good enough and the best birders use hearing as much as sight) but I love hawks and falcons since they seem the most free and wild of the creatures that dominate my urban habitat. I've been lucky to spend a few years watching a group of Red Tailed Hawks and chatting with true experts at Cornell's Dept. of Ornithology and the falconers who often join the group. An awesome experience.

Uh oh....I'm getting us off topic again....

message 50: by Hana (new) - added it

Hana | 316 comments Well maybe so totally off topic since our Merlin is named for a falcon, Falco comlumbarius. This gives a sense of how large these birds are.

« previous 1