Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

Mary's Arthurian Series > The Wicked Day - Book III (The Wicked Day)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments For discussion of Book III.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments I'm now about to start Chapter 4 in this section.

One thing that made this book a bit more difficult is it being shown on GR as part of a series. Mrs Stewart wrote this book as a standalone title, so that is why some of the information is duplicated, also why (view spoiler)

message 3: by Hana (new)

Hana | 316 comments That's true, Carol. On the other hand it's rather interesting to watch the same scene through different eyes: Chapter 6 in Book IV of The Last Enchantment shows the scene of Morgause's arrival at Camelot with the five boys as seen in Merlin's vision and then in Ch. 13 of The Wicked Day we have a reprise of the same pivotal scene, this time from Mordred's point of view. It's cleverly done.

message 4: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Very clever: it gave me a sense of deja vu!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Hana wrote: "That's true, Carol. On the other hand it's rather interesting to watch the same scene through different eyes: Chapter 6 in Book IV of The Last Enchantment shows the scene of Morgause's arrival at C..."

Very true! I get a bit frustrated sometimes with GR's series policies - & some librarians turn things into a series on most tenuous grounds!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments I’ve always viewed it as part of the series. Tho I do know the first 3 have been referred to as a trilogy. But I’ve always thought of The Wicked Day as a part of a series

message 7: by Hana (new)

Hana | 316 comments I do think this is justifiably part of the series but I miss Merlin (even if Nemue embodies him in some way). Still this section of the book is so action-packed that I was totally caught up in it.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "I’ve always viewed it as part of the series. Tho I do know the first 3 have been referred to as a trilogy. But I’ve always thought of The Wicked Day as a part of a series"

JMO but I don't think Stewart would have written The Wicked Day the way she did if she wanted it to be viewed as part of a series (view spoiler)

But it does meet Goodreads standards for a series, so it will remain as such. :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Hana wrote: "I do think this is justifiably part of the series but I miss Merlin (even if Nemue embodies him in some way). Still this section of the book is so action-packed that I was totally caught up in it."

I think we are meant to feel the loss/lack of Merlin.

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments It is definitely a continuation, although it can be read alone without problem. But I think it would be a better experience if read after the other three. That's what I'd recommend, anyhow!

message 11: by Hana (new)

Hana | 316 comments I'm willing to kind of go with the flow on Nimue's character development but I agree with your sense, Carol, that this is a very different book--which is why I never read it until now. I'm glad I did get to it eventually and I'm enjoying it despite the discontinuities.

message 12: by Hana (last edited Aug 16, 2018 05:38PM) (new)

Hana | 316 comments As for Goodread's policies...that's probably all done with mathematical magic these days and likely as dark as Morgause's!

message 13: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Hana wrote: "I do think this is justifiably part of the series but I miss Merlin (even if Nemue embodies him in some way). Still this section of the book is so action-packed that I was totally caug..."

I hadn't thought about that, but of course if we're missing Merlin, then we can enter into Arthur's feelings of loss much more readily.

message 14: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1107 comments Hana wrote: "As for Goodread's policies...that's probably all done with mathematical magic these days and likely as dark as Margause's!"

Ha! Yes!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 271 comments Hana wrote: "As for Goodread's policies...that's probably all done with mathematical magic these days and likely as dark as Morgause's!"

It's very hard to disprove stuff for sure. For example, some one has posted in the librarians' group that a LOTR quote is from one of the movies, not the books. My son watched those movies so many times you would think I would be word perfect, but I can't even remember them from the films. & it is at least 20 years since I reread the books.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments Just finished. I’ll be catching up with all the posts thus weekend :)

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "I'm now about to start Chapter 4 in this section.

One thing that made this book a bit more difficult is it being shown on GR as part of a series. Mrs Stewart wrote this book as a standalone title,..."

Oh thats true!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments Hana wrote: "I do think this is justifiably part of the series but I miss Merlin (even if Nemue embodies him in some way). Still this section of the book is so action-packed that I was totally caught up in it."

Agreed!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments Karlyne wrote: "Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Hana wrote: "I do think this is justifiably part of the series but I miss Merlin (even if Nemue embodies him in some way). Still this section of the book is so action-packed that I..."

That’s a good observation. Very keen!