Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > King Makers Sword 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments Kingmaker's Sword

I got hooked on reading fantasy a while back, but have grown tired of the same old story. A friend told me to look for some older books and I found this one at a library book sale. Well worth the dollar I paid for it.

This is a Celtic tale told through the eyes of Mouse (later known as Kian), a boy sold into slavery when his parents are killed. His Clan never stopped searching him for him, and eventually his uncle finds and rescues him. After a bar-brawl Kian claims a sword from one of the attackers, and unknown to him the sword as magic.

The story builds when Kian meets Kerri, a young woman looking for her own lost kin. Kian and his uncle agree to help her search.

I really loved the world building, and the adventures and magic were quite believable.

It was a fun summer read and I will continue to search for more books like this.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4973 comments Have you tried Sharon Shinn? She has a diverse body of work, both fantasy and sci-fi and various blends. Try her Samaria series, starting with Archangel, and her Elemental Blessings series (which is kind of a mystery in a fantasy setting) starting with Troubled Waters.

There's also Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters series starting with Daughter of the Forest and her Blackthorn and Grim series starting with Dreamer's Pool.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments annapi wrote: "Have you tried Sharon Shinn? She has a diverse body of work, both fantasy and sci-fi and various blends. Try her Samaria series, starting with Archangel, and her Elemental Blessings se..."

Wow! Never read any of them, and I will check them out! Thanks. I just started The Mists of Avalon today, and I am liking it.

message 4: by annapi (last edited Jul 27, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

annapi | 4973 comments Joanne wrote: "annapi wrote: "Have you tried Sharon Shinn? She has a diverse body of work, both fantasy and sci-fi and various blends. Try her Samaria series, starting with Archangel, and her Element..."

Fantasy is my favorite genre - I have so many more recommendations, but I don't know what you've read or enjoyed besides what's on your read list for 2018. I also have a favorite fantasy series from when I was a child, it's the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander, and it begins with The Book of Three. I have re-read it many times over the years and it still makes me laugh and cry. I try to pimp it out whenever I can.

I enjoyed Mists of Avalon, but admit I'm kind of maxed out with Arthur stories over the years. I started in my teens with Mary Stewart's series (book 1: The Crystal Cave) and that has spoiled everything else Arthur for me. Close second for Arthur stories is Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles starting with The Skystone and I only got up to book 5 or 6 with that.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments annapi wrote: "Joanne wrote: "annapi wrote: "Have you tried Sharon Shinn? She has a diverse body of work, both fantasy and sci-fi and various blends. Try her Samaria series, starting with Archangel, ..."

I read The Book of Three, but it was a long time ago. I was really getting into the high fantasy, have you read anything by Steven Erikson-long series starts with Gardens of the Moon, It and goes for 7-8 more books, but it is one of my favorites, but I needed to lighten it up a little-lol. I also started readingR.A. Salvatore this summer but I started in the middle of the Dark Elf trilogy because I cannot find any of his early books.

message 6: by annapi (last edited Jul 27, 2018 04:05PM) (new)

annapi | 4973 comments No, I have not tried either of those authors. Will check them out!

Book of Three was not the best of the series - books 2 (The Black Cauldron) and 5 (The High King) were. You should revisit them, they'd be quick reads!

message 7: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4973 comments Are you looking for a particular Salvatore book?

message 8: by Joanne (last edited Jul 28, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments annapi wrote: "Are you looking for a particular Salvatore book?"

Actually I am trying to figure out where to start! I found 2 different sites that give different opinions. I am reading The Thousand Orcs right now only because I needed a book with the word thousand in the title for another book club-so I guess I will finish that trilogy first. If you have a suggestion as to where to go from there, I would welcome your guidance. Really nice to know I have a fantasy buddy here!!! Also, I compared our books read and I see you have read Mistborn # 1 The Final Empire did you continue with the series? I am nearly done with it and it seems to be dragging for me

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4973 comments Joanne wrote: "I see you have read Mistborn # 1 The Final Empire did you continue with the series?..."

I finished all of Mistborn. While I enjoyed it, it's not my favorite. Sanderson is a solid writer but his characters don't hit me in the heart. I tried Robert Jordan long ago, but stopped at book 2, I think, when I realized it was just too slow-paced for me. I don't really like ponderous epics like Game of Thrones that use sex and violence for shock effect - I've read as far as it's gotten (book 5) but don't know if I will pick up the next when (if) he finishes it. I don't mind sex or violence if they have a place in the story, though.

Who are your favorite authors? I'd like to compare our lists.

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7476 comments I really enjoy Michael J. Sullivan and Mark Lawrence - Sullivan has a new series that starts with Age of Myth I think you might like him.

I am finding the same thing with Sanderson, not so sure I am going to continue on with Mistborn. However I enjoyed Game of Thrones and I read the entire Wheel of Time Series

As far as fav authors, Ken Follett tops my list a long with Daniel Silva-neither writes fantasy

Added you as GR friend so you should be able to compare our shelves now