Play Book Tag discussion

Conclave
This topic is about Conclave
Archive: Other Books > Conclave / Robert Harris. 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8342 comments 3.5 stars

This is a fictional account of a conclave, when Catholic cardinals from around the world are called to Rome when a pope dies. They must now elect a new pope. To do so, anyone can be voted for, but there needs to be a 2/3 majority. They just keep voting until that happens. If it takes longer, they take breaks in order to pray on it.

This story is told from the point of view of the “Dean”, Lomeli, who is basically in charge of making sure protocol is followed properly. In addition to prayer, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes, including politics and scandal.

This was much more interesting to me than I expected it to be (I am not Catholic, nor even religious). Because I listened to the audio, it did take a bit at the start to get “into” it, but once it got going, it was pretty good. There is quite the twist at the end!

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7508 comments I read this when it first came out. I was raised Catholic, so I am familiar with protocol and the process and was interested to see what Harris would write. I gave it 5 stars so I apparently liked a bit more than you.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just put one of his other books on my TBR. I've not read him but my interest is piqued. Nice review.