The Galaxians discussion

New Members, Welcome to Star Wars Fanon and Theories!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pete, Last of the Mandalores (last edited Jan 19, 2019 02:03PM) (new)

Pete Hale (petehale) | 96 comments Mod
Feel free to introduce yourself below. I'll start with me:

I don’t really have a clear-cut memory of when I got into Star Wars, but I presume it was around 2007 or ‘08, but before then I have memories of my dad watching The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on his pre-1997 Special Edition VHSes. I was not very invested in what I saw, and me wee preschooled mind could just comprehend tauntaun guts and “Dark Vader”. Also, I have this memory of my dad watching the hilarious cult classic Spaceballs and actually thinking it was SW!!! I do not remember when I first watched the first six films, but it had a great impact on my little boy mind. Soon, your little kindergardener here got caught up in the world with The Clone Wars and The Force Unleashed in ’08.
By age eight in early ‘10 I was already an expert on the Expanded Universe because of hours of Wookieepedia surfing. Can you imagine an eight-year-old that geeked out? I don’t even count as a geek now!
When I was ten in October ’12 Disney purchased Lucasfilm and Episode VII was announced. By age thirteen the little kindergardener me got to see his old dreams of a new SW film on screen. I used to have little boy fanfiction with my action figures and Pez Dispensers about Episodes 7-100 (I’m not joking.) Now, it’s real (and more)!

So, there’s my story.

message 2: by hyperspace (new)

hyperspace | 7 comments I'm Bryson. I got into SW lit a couple years ago, so I've read much more canon than legends. Currently I'm going through the entire canon timeline chronologically, now at Aftermath. I stop to read new releases like Thrawn Alliances which are placed beforehand.

I have dipped my toe in Legends, having read ROTS, Bane trilogy, and Thrawn trilogy (all excellent). I fully intend on reading legends the same way after I am done with canon.

I'm also into Zelda, Avatar (fire/water/air/earth), Jeff Smith's Bone, and Kibuishi's Amulet series. Also reading through harry potter for the first time.

message 3: by Pete, Last of the Mandalores (new)

Bryson wrote: "I'm Bryson. I got into SW lit a couple years ago, so I've read much more canon than legends. Currently I'm going through the entire canon timeline chronologically, now at Aftermath. I stop to read ..."

Welcome, Bryson! Aftermath is a disappointing book but the rest of the series is better.

message 4: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Hewitt (mirandamarajade) I'm Miranda,

I actually became interested in Star Wars through the Thrawn Trilogy rather than the films. I loved seeing how the Star Wars Universe unfolded post-ROTJ. Some of my favorite novels are definitely Inferno, The Darth Bane Trilogy, Betrayal, and Revan. My favorite character of all time is Mara Jade, and some of my other favorite characters are Darth Zannah, Anakin Solo, and Thrawn.

message 5: by Pete, Last of the Mandalores (new)

Miranda wrote: "I'm Miranda,

I actually became interested in Star Wars through the Thrawn Trilogy rather than the films. I loved seeing how the Star Wars Universe unfolded post-ROTJ. Some of my favorite novels ar..."

Welcome, Miranda! Usually, I find myself more excited about SW through the EU than the movies (occasionally.) My group is more geared towards that than anything else. I can definitely tell you like Zannah.

message 6: by Luke (new)

Luke | 11 comments Hi i'm Luke, I loved the original Star Wars films as a kid especially around Christmas time! The prequels films I enjoyed but passed me by as they progressed. Later I returned to them and decided to read some Expanded Universe. This got me hooked on the Star Wars EU which I thought was amazing!

I have read a lot of new canon also and want to reignite my passion for EU. Would be good to meet and discuss this with likeminded people.

message 7: by Pete, Last of the Mandalores (new)

Luke wrote: "Hi i'm Luke, I loved the original Star Wars films as a kid especially around Christmas time! The prequels films I enjoyed but passed me by as they progressed. Later I returned to them and decided t..."

Thanks for joining! I was born during the prequel era, but I loved the Origs as a kid. The EU's been my thing forever!

message 8: by Luke (new)

Luke | 11 comments No worries, I will definitely try to be active as travelling a lot this year with work and will get through books in the written and audio form!

For me personally my main love of Star Wars is the EU backed up by the movies. I am giving new canon a chance (despite the big set back of the Last Jedi) and thought "Lost Stars" in particular was great.

message 9: by Pete, Last of the Mandalores (new)

Luke wrote: "No worries, I will definitely try to be active as travelling a lot this year with work and will get through books in the written and audio form!

For me personally my main love of Star Wars is the..."

They feel extremely authorized. Meaning no originality. Most of the novels feel like the writers were told they had to write a story about XYZ, and it comes off pointless and forced.

message 10: by DiscoSpacePanther, Grandmaster of Intergalactic Funk (new)

DiscoSpacePanther | 52 comments Mod
Hi, I’m DiscoSpacePanther and I have been a Star Wars addict since 1981, when I first saw Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

I read my first Star Wars book in 1983: the junior novelisation of Return of the Jedi (foolishly before the movie came out, so I learnt the hard way about spoilers well before the age of 10).

After that I read the full novelisations of the first two movies - and for the longest time this was my definitive version of ESB, because it was practically impossible to get hold of the movie in the UK until 1988, when it was first shown on terrestrial TV.

I got back into the novels with the publication of Tim Zahn’s Heir to the Empire, and bought pretty much every hardcover and paperback as they came out. Of the adult novels, there are only about 15 (canon and Legends) that I haven’t read. There might well even be some unmemorable ones that I’ve forgotten reading!

There are some SW novels that I love, some that I shake my head and tut when I’m reading - but they all contribute richness to the universe.

I have a preference for the Empire/Rebellion and early New Republic EU eras, but no era is a complete quality desert. Both canon and Legends novels have their merits, but I have a sentimental attachment to Legends.

I still think Zahn has the highest quality work in Legends, although Allston’s work comes close, and he has better comedic writing.

Favourite characters? I have a few: Voort ‘Piggy’ sa’Binring, the genetically modified Gamorrean starpilot and maths professor; Talon Karrde; Gilad Pellaeon; Warlord Zsinj (a cross between Grand Moff Tarkin and Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, sporting a magnificent moustache).

Things that annoy me when authors do them? Force power inflation (e.g. a group of Jedi trainees tossing a fleet of Star Destroyers light years, all because the author didn’t understand that Yoda was speaking figuratively when he said ‘size matters not’). Not doing the maths (e.g. claiming a pilot would need to adjust for the Death Star’s gravity, when in reality it would be imperceptible). I could go on!

Finally, nitpicking doesn’t mean I don’t love the books (and films) - I’d still rather watch The Force Awakens than most other movies - even though I consider it the weakest Star Wars movie!

message 11: by Pete, Last of the Mandalores (new)

DiscoSpacePanther wrote: "Hi, I’m DiscoSpacePanther and I have been a Star Wars addict since 1981, when I first saw Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

I read my first Star Wars book in 1983: the junior novelisation of ..."

Most of my problems are the same with you. I know all about KJA's mega-Force push from the horrific Jedi Academy: Leviathan. Don't ask what it is; it'd save your soul.