Play Book Tag discussion

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)
This topic is about Gathering Blue
July 2018: Dystopian > Gathering Blue- Lowry - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Jul 27, 2018 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jgrace | 2946 comments Gathering Blue - Lowry
4 stars

I’m wonder if Lowry planned a series when The Giver was published in 1993. I’m too old for the book to have been a part of my childhood, and the readers I taught were too young. But, I remember when the book became standard classroom fare. It was taught to gifted fifth and sixth graders on my campus. My son read it in eighth grade. His take on it was, “Good, but disturbing.” I think I agree with him.

Gathering Blue is disturbing in another way. In this book the distinction between the ‘have’ and ‘have nots’ is clear form the start. Kira’s life is in danger from the start. Lowry lures the reader in with a sense of relief when she is given recognition of her talent and a secure place to live. But, something is wrong. There’s a growing sense of menace. Once again, it’s a book that is ‘good, but disturbing.’

This was a quick read for me. It was a book that was lingering of the shelves since my daughter left home. I’m glad I read it. And, now there is no reason to hang on to it. Oldest child is 30, and I am no longer teaching. I feel free to pass it on.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments No, she did not intend it to be a series. Here is an interview with Lowery when the 4th book, Son, was published. https://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...