Scarlett’s Page Turners discussion

Modern > The Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (readingmaniac777) | 737 comments Mod
This is the modern book choice for August/September, no spoilers til September 17th!

I LOVE this book! I can't wait to discuss it!

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments awwww no spoilers... i've actually READ this one so i can join in the discussion... can't wait!!!

message 3: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Am I the only one here who hasn't read it? :-)

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (777readersfan) | 518 comments Mod
Charmaine - you will love it!

message 5: by Emily (new)

I got Catching Fire and read it and it was MAZSING EEEEEP!

message 6: by Emily (new)

thought I'd share that hahaha

message 7: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) So awesome, Emily! :-D I hope I will like the Hunger Games once I read it! I probably will (because it sounds good). :-)

message 8: by Kim (new)

Hunger Games was AWESOME! Can't wait to read Catching Fire.

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments Of course you read Catching Fire already Em... haha. Wasn't it awesome? Now we just have to wait a year for the next one...

message 10: by Emily (new)

a whole year? maybe I will invest in ways to get an advance copy....

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments haha! i hope bn gets an advanced copy in again... although we still have to wait almost a year then...

message 12: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) I started reading the Hunger Games today, and I requested Catching Fire from the library. :-)

message 13: by Kim (new)

What do you think of Hunger Games so far Charmaine? Once I got into it, I had a hard time putting it down!

message 14: by Emily (new)

I <3 Hunger Games so much
and I <3 Catching fire
what is the name of the 3rd one gonna be???

message 15: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
Catching Fire is one of the best books ever. That series is SO GREAT. I think the third book will be called Girl on Fire.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Starting Catching Fire today.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Karalee wrote: "Catching Fire is one of the best books ever. That series is SO GREAT. I think the third book will be called Girl on Fire."

THATS AN AWESOME TITLE!

message 18: by Kim (new)

OMG - Catching Fire is so awesome so far!!!!!!!!!! Girl on Fire is an awesome title for the third book!

message 19: by Emily (new)

and you have barely started it, wait til u get further!

message 20: by Emily (new)

5 days til we can discuss!

message 22: by Emily (new)

THIS DISCUSSION NOW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

message 23: by Emily (new)

I loved this book so much and the ending threw me so much, w/ the berries and everything. I loved when she pretended to be in love w/ Peeta but he was really in love with her the whole time, Peeta is SOOO sweet and I can't decide if I'm team Peeta or Gale but Peeta is winning currently though I could get a couple friends who could argue that. RUE! I loved Rue and I was soooo sad when she died. I loved cinna too he is awesome
AND THE CREEPY DOG THINGS....ugh the whole eye thing EWWWW
I'm afaid to give spoilers for catching fire.

message 24: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
My favorite character in the entire book is Cinna. He is so awesome and so different from the typical Capital people. I also loved Peeta and how good and gentle he is but there is a definite argument that Catniss is better off with Gale -- they are just alike and knew and loved each other before she even knew that Peeta had feelings for her.

message 25: by Emily (new)

yeah and Peeta loved her before they even spoke to each other

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments Rue is my favorite character... The scene where Katniss says goodbye to her is so touching. I am probably more team Gale just because (like Karalee said) she is more meant to be with him (although she did have that story with Peeta giving her food when she was younger...)
The thing I really like about this series in general is that it has a political statement to it. Not like a book based on an election or anything like that, but just standing up for what you believe in and going against the higher-ups when things don't sit right in your mind. I think it's a great message to get out to teens who are getting ready to vote their opinions in real life :)

message 27: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
I totally agree, Holly!

message 28: by Emily (new)

Suzanne Collins said she wrote this book to write about the effect of violence and teens and adolescents
and the whole tribute thing was based on the sacrifices to the minotour in Greek mythology
I thik this is very interesting

Holly's Little Book Reviews (hollyslittlebookreviews) | 141 comments That's really interesting Em! Thanks for letting us know!!! It's always fun to know what inspired the author and what their "message" really was.

message 30: by Emily (new)

I know! I found that on scholastic.com

message 31: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Kim wrote: "What do you think of Hunger Games so far Charmaine? Once I got into it, I had a hard time putting it down!"

It's a great book! I enjoyed reading it... so much action and twists and turns in the story. I wasn't expecting that berry thing to happen at the end. I guessed that Katniss & Peeta would be okay in the end, but I didn't know that they would outsmart the capitol by pretending to eat the berries. I'm looking forward to reading Catching Fire! I need to read it soon. :-) My favorite character is Cinna. He is so nice compared to the other capitol people, and I like his personality, too. I think Katniss is probably my 2nd fave, because she's smart and brave and everything. She is pretty clever! As for being Team Peeta or Team Gale, I can't decide, but Gale seems to be the best for Katniss. I'll see what happens in the next book. :-)

message 32: by Kim (new)

So glad you liked it!! I love Cinna too - even more in book 2!!! Katniss is awesome too. I love her cynicism and the way she will fight for the one's she loves.

message 33: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Cinna is mentioned in the 2nd book, too? Great! I'm looking forward to reading it. :-) Who is your most favorite character, Kim?

message 34: by Emily (new)

CINNA! OMG I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!! haha I also luv Haymitch and Peeta and Gale and Katniss and Rue and Prim

message 35: by Kim (new)

I think I like Cinna the most too, and Katniss is a close second.

message 36: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
If you loved Cinna in Hunger Games, wait until you read Catching Fire!!!!!!!!!!

message 37: by Emily (new)

<3

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG I've read them both, I couldn't put them down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're amazing. And I'm on Team Gale

message 39: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!

message 40: by Emily (new)

TEAM PEETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Peeta chip hehehe)

message 41: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) I started reading Catching Fire. :-) I've only read the first chapter, but I like it so far!

message 42: by Emily (new)

it gets better!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

its amazign! I can't wait for the third one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 44: by Emily (new)

me 2!