Short Story lovers discussion

Edited collections

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harley (last edited Aug 17, 2009 07:40AM) (new)

Harley (harleybarb) | 26 comments I've been looking for you guys. I've come back to short story reading lately, with the emphasis on reading everybody, so I'm working my way through the Best American series as well as other collections. Eventually I'll get to the books already on my shelf by individual authors. The last volume by one author I read was Karen Russell's St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves, which was seriously fun. Being retired, I actually have time to do this. Here's the embarrassing part -- I keep a database of all the collections and the stories that appear in them. You've probably noticed that some stories get picked by lots of editors.

By the way, someone asked, and the Ha Jin story was "After Cowboy Chicken Came to Town," and I read it in the Best 2001 collection. It was originally in TriQuarterly. Barbara Kingsolver edited the volume that year, and I found more stories with some heart in them in that collection than any other so far. The stories by Jess Row, Marisa Silver, Trevanian, Claire Davis, Rick Moody, Andrea Lee, Barbara Klein Moss -- those especially.

I hope someone is out there!

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments Harley wrote: "I've been looking for you guys. I've come back to short story reading lately, with the emphasis on reading everybody, so I'm working my way through the Best American series as well as other collect..."
Thanks for some thoughtful leads. Just listing a book doesn't help much, and you're right: lots of collections duplicate. I took a workshop under Lucy Rosenthall, who teaches at Sarah Lawrence. Her collection, Eloquent Short Stories, is divided into types using her opinions on the best examples. Excellent sampling.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Harley wrote: "I've been looking for you guys. I've come back to short story reading lately, with the emphasis on reading everybody, so I'm working my way through the Best American series as well as other collect..."

I disappoint myself in my inability to continuously read short stories. I enjoy most all I read but for some reason I go through spells where I don't read for a while. I've read the title story of Karen Russell's St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves. I'm fairly certain I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. I've read some Ha Jin stories and liked them as well. One story that has stuck with me a long time is The Toggle Switch. I can't recall the authors name at the moment, but that's an excellent story.

wishing you goodreads