2022 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

2018 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ August > AUGUST - “The gossip is priceless”

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
This month, read a book about fame, show business or Hollywood (anything from a tell-all to a fiction book about someone famous).

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Jul 27, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

We'll get the post up within a few days, but here are some lists/articles to get ideas!

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Really Good Books: Scandals of Classic Hollywood Edition
https://www.thehairpin.com/2012/05/re...

The 20 Most Explosive Hollywood Tell-All Books — Of All Time!
https://radaronline.com/photos/the-20...

Galloway on Film: The 10 Greatest Movie Books
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lis...

10 Juicy Hollywood Books To Get You Prepped For the Golden Globes
https://www.bustle.com/articles/57579...

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie I'm going to read The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher for this one!

Also have to catch up on some previous months, I got behind!

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Jul 27, 2018 09:46AM) (new)

Jack Ketchum wrote The Secret Life of Souls, which I liked. If you like animals/dogs and want something a little darker then I recommend it :)

The Secret Life of Souls by Jack Ketchum

message 5: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends: Confessions of a Reality Show Villain

I think I'll be reading this! I bought it back in February but haven't gotten around to it yet.

message 6: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
Romance books where one character is famous for show biz reasons are eligible for this month. I really like Act Like It by Lucy Parker. Can one of our romance readers rec some more that fit this trope?

message 7: by Lea (last edited Jul 27, 2018 06:50PM) (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
Anne Helen Petersen (the writer who gave us that hilarious profile on Armie Hammer) has a book on Old Hollywood gossip: Scandals of Classic Hollywood: Sex, Deviance, and Drama from the Golden Age of American Cinema

I also found this book while browsing around on Goodreads today: One On One by Craig Brown (it's about unlikely meetings between famous people)

I think I might pick The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo for this month

message 8: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn (esmenoir) | 33 comments I got a bit ahead of myself and I've nearly finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, which is fantastic.

Karina Longworth is currently doing a series for her podcast, You Must Remember This, where she fact-checks stories from Kenneth Anger's book, Hollywood Babylon and I have to say I'm tempted to read that as well, but we'll see.

message 9: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 104 comments I was thinking about Truth and Beauty, since I remember someone on ontd rec'ing it. But, not sure if it fits the theme 100%.

Ngl, seeing Hollywood Babylon and hearing about its gossipy legend makes me want to actually check it out. Someone on ontd also rec'd I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend. So I have choices this month :)

message 10: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
Sasha, that's correct, Truth and Beauty doesn't fit this month's theme. If anyone is picking a memoir, the eligible ones are by famous actors/comedians/directors/etc, basically Hollywood people (and similar industries from other countries), reality show people, models and famous musicians, but not writers or politicians.

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 105 comments I'm going to read Beautiful Ruins. It's about a fictional actress in the 1960's.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Kim wrote: "IDK what to read I might read Revenge of the Nerd: Or . . . The Singular Adventures of the Man Who Would Be Booger does that count?"

That looks like it works!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

BTW, the post was submitted earlier so be on the look out!

message 16: by Susan (last edited Jul 30, 2018 10:25PM) (new)

Susan | 53 comments I was thinking of Everything Leads to You, since it's on my to-read already and looks like a cute romance for the potentially crazy month that August is going to be lol. I might check out a tell-all scandal book tho........

Also, would a book like Night Film be eligible?

message 17: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Also, would a book like Night Film be eligible?"

I don't know - Rach, you've read it, is it eligible?

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Oops, I meant to respond! I'm sorry!

I would say it counts.

message 19: by Dainey (new)

Dainey | 69 comments Hmmm, I probably should've gone for a fiction book about a famous character, but I wanted to get out of my comfort zone, so I picked the pointed out One on One.

Alas, that wasn't the best choice for me, I think. The writing wasn't very gripping, plus most of these encounters were a long time ago (presumably for lawsuit reasons...), so many of them I felt were already common knowledge even for a non-gossip buff.

There's still plenty of time, so I'll probably go for Night Film as well.

message 20: by Tejal (new)

Tejal (ohsodebonair) | 78 comments Hollywood Daze was on offer from Amazon so I nabbed a copy of that as it seems to fit the challenge.

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat | 54 comments I just finished Wishful Drinking, it made me sad for Carrie.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lapetite) | 58 comments I just remembered I had bought Act Like It some months ago and it fits with the theme so that'll be my pick for this month!

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 105 comments I stumbled upon this podcast series that tears apart the apparent inaccuracies of Hollywood Babylon if anyone is interested.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast...

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments I picked Revenge of the Nerd: Or . . . The Singular Adventures of the Man Who Would Be Booger which was a fun read. Learned a lot about Curtis himself and enjoyed all of the Hollywood gossip.