You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > August Toppler - Heading to the Beach

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments August 24-Hour Beach Toppler: The August toppler will be held on August 11th. It will run from noon Saturday, August 11th, to noon Sunday, August 12th, EDT.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Some of us are enjoying summer right now and what better way to do that than at the beach! Others are in the middle of winter and can maybe use a beach vacation. Either way, we'll be reading books related to the beach this month.

Task:
Read a book that has a connection to a beach theme.

Books that fit the theme:
1. "Beach" in title.
2. Beach scene on cover.
3. Set at a beach.
4. Author, publisher, narrator, or character has the name "Beach."
5. Setting has "beach" in the location name.

Books that do not fit the theme:
1. I read it at the beach.
2. It's a "beach read," which can really be anything.

Have another connection? Let me know.

A few rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. The book must be at least 175 pages based on the version you are reading.
3. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For audiobooks use the page count on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
4. Graphic novels do not count.

Toppler books can count toward the group theme read and/or the monthly or yearly challenge, if they qualify.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments reserved

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Sounds good! It's summer here and I wish I could head to the beach! It is raining again! Again!
I am not sure I can join you on this toppler but I will have something handy in case I can do a rush signing up. ;)

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I might go with DOES THIS BEACH MAKE ME LOOK FAT?

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jul 27, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Adding a link in case anyone else is interested it too: Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat? True Stories and Confessions by Lisa Scottoline Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments I want to try to stick with an audiobook because I have other things going on that day. I'm thinking about Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Thank you, Kristie. I am in my phone right now. 😉

message 8: by Debra (last edited Jul 27, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Kristie wrote: "Adding a link in case anyone else is interested it too: Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat? True Stories and Confessions by Lisa Scottoline Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat?"

This one sounds like more fun than my initial choice, Beaches. I remember seeing the movie with my best girlfriend at that time in my life. We held hands and bawled our eyes out. Of course, I was the Bette Midler character. lol

Anyway... not sure if I'll go for laughs or tears... will see what strikes me at the time.

Should be a pleasant Toppler, regardless. Thanks, Kristie!

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Wow! I actually have a title that fits. I think I bought Beach Road at a garage sale a few years ago. My book list shows that I have it on CD.

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2314 comments Lol I just looked at that one too Cherie, but I think I've settled on Carousel Beach, looks like it could be interesting.

message 11: by Cherie (last edited Jul 27, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments I loved Beach Music, but it might be a little long, unless you are a speed reader.

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Jenn wrote: "Lol I just looked at that one too Cherie, but I think I've settled on Carousel Beach, looks like it could be interesting."

Yours looks good too and is a little shorter than mine. I am not sure if I can read 390 pages, but maybe I can speed up the audio. Hmm, I wonder if the CD book is abridged. Now, I have to go look!

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments I read On the Beach years ago when I was in my Nevil Shute phase.

message 14: by Cherie (last edited Jul 27, 2018 04:23PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments James Patterson has another beach book called The Beach House

Mary Alice Monroe has some beach books in a series called "Beach House" The Beach House, Beach House Memories, and Beach House for Rent, Swimming Lessons and Beach House Reunion

Georgia Bockoven also has a "Beach House" series.

Just type "Beach House" in the search window and you get over 93 pages of titles and covers to fit this challenge!

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments If plurals are okay, here is the book that the movie was based on Beaches...

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments There’s a Listopia list of books with beach covers. 256 at last count...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Great list, Carol. Thanks for the link. I have five or six books to add to it.

I didn't see The Girls of August on the list.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I have had The Rose Petal Beach on my shelf for ages. The problem is, my edition is 549 pages and being a slow reader and the likelihood that I will not be able to stay awake and read for 24 hours, I doubt I will be able to finish it.

I read about 50 pages an hour depending on the book so it is doable but only if I do nothing else....

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Cherie, plurals are fine.

Anna, that is a long one! I have to say though, I don’t think 50 pages an hour is really slow. Lol You’re faster than I am. I read out loud in my head, which slows me down a lot.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I am also a slow reader. I always thought I was a average but I did a test last year, out of curiosity, and I am a little below average. Otonly en English, but also in Portuguese and in Spanish. ,😞

message 21: by Lori Z (last edited Jul 28, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Lori Z | 1848 comments Kristie, I was wondering if this cover would work? The Siren by Kiera Cass or is it too much water and not enough beach?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess much depends on the book for me. If it is dense or a classic I slow right down. Looking at the book I'm planning for the toppler the sentences are spaced well and the print is average in size so should be 50 an hour but perhaps 40.

I am going to challenge myself!

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments I’ll accept it, Lori. You can see a little of the beach sand, so I think it’s clear she’s on a beach.

message 24: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10023 comments Kristie, are these 2 OK?

The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy (Harold Fry, #2) by Rachel Joyce

Spell or High Water by Scott Meyer

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Those both work, Margo.

message 26: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1848 comments Thanks Kristie!

message 27: by Lanelle (last edited Jul 29, 2018 09:06PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments I just got back from spending a week with family in Virginia. We got to go to the beach while I was there. This desert gal LOVED it. This Toppler will bring back some good memories.

My gophering:
1. "Beach" in title.
Chocolate Beach, Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach jk :)

2. Beach scene on cover.
Cape Maybe, The Island of Ted, Under the Boardwalk, Making Waves, Miss Impractical Pants

3. Set at a beach.
Diamond Bay, A Month At The Shore

message 28: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Cherie wrote: "If plurals are okay, here is the book that the movie was based on Beaches..."

That was my first choice... now I have several!

message 29: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10023 comments Kristie wrote: "Those both work, Margo."

Thanks Kristie - I wasn't sure about the first one as it isn't "summery".

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Some ideas I'm contemplating, all for "beach scene on cover":

The Storm The Storm by Arif Anwar by Arif Anwar

The Sea The Sea by John Banville by John Banville

From a Low and Quiet Sea From a Low and Quiet Sea by Donal Ryan by Donal Ryan

@Kristie, I have two cover questions. First, does the cover have to include dry sand along with water etc., or will the above cover for From a Low and Quiet Sea, with waves and sand visible under the water, qualify? Second, the below cover for The Woman in the Dunes shows sand dunes but no ocean.
The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe Will this qualify?

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments I'm going to have to say no, Carol. From a Low and Quiet Sea doesn't look like a beach to me and The Woman in the Dunes, though set in Japan and probably depicts a beach, doesn't look like a beach. From the picture, she could be in a desert.

Also, I don't see a beach on The Sea cover either. The water meets the land, but it looks like it just abuts the mountain without a beach area. I suppose that one's debatable, just not the definition of beach I was going for.

Looked up the definition and was thinking of this: an expanse of sand or pebbles along a shore. So, basically, a place where people could sit if on vacation.

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Unless, of course, one of those books is set at the beach or has beach in the town name, etc. That would override the cover decision.

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm going to have to say no, Carol. From a Low and Quiet Sea doesn't look like a beach to me and The Woman in the Dunes, though set in Japan and probably depicts a beach, doesn't look like a beach...."

Okay. Thank you.

message 34: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments Kristie, will you accept Canoe Lake Canoe Lake by Roy MacGregor ? The canoe appears to be beached.

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Sure, TrudyAn. You can see a little of the beach in the foreground.

message 36: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1665 comments Kristie wrote: "Sure, TrudyAn. You can see a little of the beach in the foreground."

Thanks, Kristie!

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Just checking, Kristie, as I just want to make sure. I was going to read Journey to Death which is set on the Seychelles. The whole country is pretty much beaches, and the main character goes for a tropical beach holiday. I am unsure how much time she will spend doing normal beaching activities, but guessing this counts?

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Sure, Rusalka. As long as you can link it to the beach theme in the reporting thread it works. The MC taking a beach holiday would fit.

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Kristie, will this cover qualify?

Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura

Thanks!

message 40: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Kristie wrote: "Sure, Rusalka. As long as you can link it to the beach theme in the reporting thread it works. The MC taking a beach holiday would fit."

Thanks Kristie. I wasn't sure how much beaching was needed, but no doubt there will be a lot of beaches.

message 41: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments Rusalka wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Sure, Rusalka. As long as you can link it to the beach theme in the reporting thread it works. The MC taking a beach holiday would fit."

Thanks Kristie. I wasn't sure how much beac..."

Ah, Seychelles. Sigh. Fond memories. Do let me know if the book talks much of the place, Rusalka. I might have to pick it up then.

message 42: by Pragya (last edited Aug 01, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments I need to choose between Remarkable Creatures  by Tracy Chevalier , Burial Rites by Hannah Kent .

Not sure if this one works. Kristie? We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Carol wrote: "Kristie, will this cover qualify?

Thanks!"

I don't see a beach on the cover, but it is set in a fishing village. If the characters spend time on a beach, it would work.

Edit: The cover says it's set on the seacoast of Japan. So, I'm guessing it will fit for location. Also, I read someone's review that refers to a beach scene, so you are good. Just note the beach link when reporting.

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Pragya wrote: "Not sure if this one works. Kristie? We Were Liars by E. Lockhart"

That's a tricky one. They don't show the beach, but it looks like they are in the water at a beach. I'm guessing since that's on the cover and it says private island in the blurb that they will visit a beach at some point in the book. I would say you could use it, just make the beach connection when you report.

message 45: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3606 comments Kristie wrote: "Pragya wrote: "Not sure if this one works. Kristie? We Were Liars by E. Lockhart"

That's a tricky one. They don't show the beach, but it looks like they are in the water at a beach. I'm gues..."

Great. Thanks!

message 46: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments Kristie and Carol, I have read The Sea. There are definitely beaches in the story. Flipping open my copy at random, I found this line on p. 187: "Then I was on the beach in the dark, sitting in the sand with my legs stuck out before me. . . .

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments Thank, Casceil! It sounded like it would. I appreciate the confirmation.

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Kristie wrote: "Carol wrote: "Kristie, will this cover qualify?

Thanks!"

I don't see a beach on the cover, but it is set in a fishing village. If the characters spend time on a be..."

I will. Thank you, Kristie!

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Casceil wrote: "Kristie and Carol, I have read The Sea. There are definitely beaches in the story. Flipping open my copy at random, I found this line on p. 187: "Then I was on the beach in the dark, si..."

Thank you, Casceil!

message 50: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1098 comments i think i'll read Pascali's Island

« previous 1 3