YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Nowhere Girls
This topic is about The Nowhere Girls
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed - Restarting August 8th 2019

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ari (last edited Jul 27, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari J Moreno (arituzz) | 316 comments Three misfits come together to avenge the rape of a fellow classmate and in the process trigger a change in the misogynist culture at their high school transforming the lives of everyone around them in this searing and timely story.

Who are the Nowhere Girls?

They’re everygirl. But they start with just three:

Grace Salter is the new girl in town, whose family was run out of their former community after her southern Baptist preacher mom turned into a radical liberal after falling off a horse and bumping her head.

Rosina Suarez is the queer punk girl in a conservative Mexican immigrant family, who dreams of a life playing music instead of babysitting her gaggle of cousins and waitressing at her uncle’s restaurant.

Erin Delillo is obsessed with two things: marine biology and Star Trek: The Next Generation, but they aren’t enough to distract her from her suspicion that she may in fact be an android.

When Grace learns that Lucy Moynihan, the former occupant of her new home, was run out of town for having accused the popular guys at school of gang rape, she’s incensed that Lucy never had justice. For their own personal reasons, Rosina and Erin feel equally deeply about Lucy’s tragedy, so they form an anonymous group of girls at Prescott High to resist the sexist culture at their school, which includes boycotting sex of any kind with the male students.

Told in alternating perspectives, this groundbreaking novel is an indictment of rape culture and explores with bold honesty the deepest questions about teen girls and sexuality.

message 2: by Allyson (new) - added it

Allyson | 47 comments The spoilers are for the first 25% of the book.

I'm really liking this so far! The writing style is quite unique, there's some really beautiful prose in this one. And I like the idea of the multiple perspectives including 'Us', it makes the scope of the story bigger, like it's not just about three girls, it's about this one and this one and this one. I wonder if others are going to get theirs, too, because I'd love it. Kinda like in 'The Sun Is Also A Star', don't know if you've read it, I think it would make the story just richer.

I also love how inclusive this book is and (view spoiler).

I like the characters, although I don't feel very connected to them - Rosina most of all, she doesn't feel as fleshed out as she could be, but it's just the beginning so there's still hope! I just think that with her, unlike with Erin and Grace, there was more telling than there was showing (view spoiler)

I like Grace and I like how angry she feels and how (view spoiler) and how she keeps (view spoiler)

But I absolutely adore Erin, her relationship with her mum is just so well-written, and her character in general feels like a real human being (and a painfully relatable one, at times). (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

How are you finding it so far?

message 3: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari J Moreno (arituzz) | 316 comments I agree with everything you said Allyson!
I feel like this is such a powerful book and it's a very important and real issue to talk about.
I love the Us chapters too because it shows this book is about every girl.
It's so refreshing to see such diverse characters. I feel Rosina isn't fully fleshed out yet but I hope we get to know more about her.
About what you said that the 'Real Men' blog feels a bit unrealistic, I wish you are right. I don't know, I think rape culture is very real and many people don't feel ashamed about it, even in small towns. Yeah, I think if it were a broader online community it would be more realistic but then there would be way more users and the comments' tone would probably be darker. Actually, I think I read somewhere thag the 'Real Men' blog is based off RL events.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83324 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting August 8th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************