What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Romance where hero rejects heroine and then changes his mind or gets new information that he was wrong. Any genre: SF, fantasy, historical, contemporary, etc......

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ebookworm2016 (last edited Jul 27, 2018 07:07AM) (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments I'm really wanting books where hero rejects heroine. In my mind, this is due to false information or big misunderstanding...... but there can be other reasons.

1. The first requirement is that he fixes or tries to fix his mistake. I really dislike it when he messes up and she knows he messed up and is still hurt, but he's just so handsome and she just can't resist him....... Or, worse, he twists it so that it was her fault.

2. I'm not looking for classics and I dislike Georgette Heyer.

3. I like HEA.

message 2: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Bump

message 3: by Jody (new)

Jody | 96 comments May not be exactly what you are looking for but have you tried the Hard Ink series by Laura Kaye. In first book heroine goes to guy for help. He blows he off but can't seem to get his conscious to leave him alone.

message 4: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Thanks for the suggestion, Jody. I was able to check it out from my library.

message 5: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited May 01, 2019 06:20AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Ebookworm2016 wrote: "I'm really wanting books where hero rejects heroine. In my mind, this is due to false information or big misunderstanding...... but there can be other reasons.

1. The first requirement is that he ..."

I love a good groveling or redemption story. I especially like paranormal romance novels where the hero is an idiot and rejects his fated-mate for some reason or another and then has to spend the rest of the book trying to convince her that she's the one he wants. Seriously, the word FATED should have been enough to avoid having to climb his way out of the deep hole he's dug for himself. Then again, matters of the heart are rarely so rational.

Then there are a few mate-by-choice plots where the heroine is NOT his actual fated mate but he chooses her for love and rejects his fated mate (who amusingly, would then be the other woman). With this twist, the H has to spend a lot of time convincing the heroine that he won't regret the choice later.

*** Here are some of my favorites:

Coyote's Mate (Breeds, #13; Coyote Breeds, #2) by Lora Leigh Coyote's Mate by Lora Leigh

Vampire Mine (Alpha and Omega, #3) by Aline Hunter Vampire Mine by Aline Hunter

Shoot for the Moon (Black River Pack #2; Fated Mates #2) by Rochelle Paige Shoot for the Moon by Rochelle Paige

Prowled Darkness (Dante's Circle, #7) by Carrie Ann Ryan Prowled Darkness by Carrie Ann Ryan

A Mate's Denial (Ozark Mountain Shifters, #1) by P. Jameson A Mate's Denial by P. Jameson

*** Here are two titles where the H denies his true mate in favor of the book's heroine, who will be his mate-by-choice:

Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling, #11) by Nalini Singh Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh

Mercury's War (Breeds, #12; Feline Breeds, #10) by Lora Leigh Mercury's War by Lora Leigh (this one doesn't fit exactly, but without spoiling it, I'm just gonna say it does qualify)

If you've already read these or they don't interest you, I can probably come up with more if you ask.

message 6: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments I’ve read “Tangle of Need” and that definitely fits what I want. I’ve read quite a few of Lora Leigh’s books, but I’ll have to look back through those 2 books to see. Her books kind of run together for me, but I do like them.

I’ll check the others out and, yes, I would like any suggestions you have.

message 7: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Oh, and I can’t edit because I’m on my phone, but Thank You.

message 8: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Oct 13, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Here are a few more. I've been trying to think of some contemporary titles with this idea and I'm sure I've read some but none come to mind right now.

How about these?

The Liger's Mark (Awakening Pride, # 6) by Lacey Thorn The Liger's Mark by Lacey Thorn

Another Chance (Black Hills Wolves #41) by Taryn Kincaid Another Chance by Taryn Kincaid

The Mating Rite (Werewolves of Montana, #4) by Bonnie Vanak The Mating Rite by Bonnie Vanak
(pnr, with lots of flashback ow drama, but nothing current)

Chris (Second Wave, #4) by Mikayla Lane Chris by Mikayla Lane
(sfr, love this series, this is the only hero rejection one and its decent, interesting because she's a pregnant human but the father's not and she can use the baby's powers to protect them before the baby's born and before the hero rescues them)

** I don't know if you like any m/m fiction, but here are a couple that follow the rejection/redemption plot:

Finding Forgiveness (Poconos Pack, #1) by Dana Marie Bell Finding Forgiveness by Dana Marie Bell
(m/m shifter romance where the H rejects his mate for years based on a misunderstanding, this is one of my favorites)

Jasper (Stone Society #6) by Faith Gibson Jasper by Faith Gibson
(m/m romance between a gargoyle shifter and his mate, who's a human clone)

**Now, if you want gut-wrenching pain and a super-sized @$$hole these last 3 truly qualify. I could never read them more than once even though they're good books and both have a HEA. They just hurt too much.

Valan's Bondmate (Zarronian Warriors, #1) by Mardi Maxwell Valan's Bondmate by Mardi Maxwell

Enforcer's Redemption (Redwood Pack, #3) by Carrie Ann Ryan Enforcer's Redemption by Carrie Ann Ryan

Forgiveness (Redwood Pack, #3.7) by Carrie Ann Ryan Forgiveness by Carrie Ann Ryan

(both of these Carrie Ann Ryan books are the same couple, the 2nd book is him making up for the pain he caused in the 1st)

message 9: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Thx! I’ll check those out too.

I don’t mind the guy being a total jerk as long as he really does try to fix it and not *just* bully or blackmail the h to come back to him. Sometimes books use that a little until the hero can get her to listen and I’m fine with that.

Worse is when all he has to do is flex his muscles or kiss her, and she hates herself for it, but she just can’t resist him.

True contrition, an apology, trying to fix the consequences, telling all their friends that he was the one who messed up, etc..... My ideal hero gives some genuine effort when I’m wanting to read this type of book.

I have read “Finding Forgiveness” by Dana Marie Bell and I liked that one, though m/f is higher on the preferred list.

message 10: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Oct 14, 2018 06:57PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Yeah, I feel the same. A doormat heroine just leaves me frustrated on her behalf if the hero never owns up to his mistakes. He'll just take her for granted again. None of my book recommendations have this as the outcome. There's an appropriate amount of groveling in each. In my opinion at least. I hope you enjoy at least a couple of them.

I wish I could come up with some contemporary titles for you. I do have one idea but it isn't strictly a rejection by misunderstanding plot, but it is a great story with mistakes on both sides and lots of personal growth and angst...

Seduce Me (Ravage MC, #2) by Ryan Michele Seduce Me by Ryan Michele

(it's a motorcycle club romance, a genre that not everyone enjoys, but I do sometimes and it's a good one to try)

message 11: by Ebookworm2016 (last edited Dec 27, 2020 02:29PM) (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments I started to type a request and this old request came up, which is really similar.... So, I guess I'm still looking for the same type of books. lol

Hero makes a big mistake and rejects her... Maybe blames heroine for something he thinks she did.... But he makes it right to win her back.

If I was an author, it would include that his childhood sweetheart convinced him that the heroine betrayed him. But that might be too particular. lol

I checked out all the previous requests. Any new ones?

message 12: by Poppy (new)

Poppy | 3 comments Young Adult books that are in the vein of what you're looking for:

The Duel of Fire book series has a little bit of that. The main character Dara and her love interest get along and are building romance until the end of the first book when he finds out her father is involved in something awful - and blames Dara for what happens. They had a will-they-won't-they, then they start out the second book basically not on speaking terms. Great adventure and writing, and a HEA.

Same goes for Bring Me Their Hearts, a trilogy that ends with a similar situation of the first book ends with the male character HATING the female character, and the second book is all about trying to build that trust back once he understands more. (Imo, the first book starts so bad and I almost dropped it, but now I'm currently on the 3rd book after giving it a shot.)

Sky in the Deep is a beautiful read, in which the main male character hates the main female character because they're from different sides of a clansman feud, and at the beginning he'd rather see her die than listen to her talk - and she feels the same. A little more enemies-to-lovers, but she's at his mercy so you might enjoy it.

The Last Magician is a stretch suggestion, but such a good book I have to include it - the male character distrusts the female character, rather than rejecting her. But there are some cute scenes of her trying to persuade him to join her in a heist-like plan, and he is relentless in shutting her down.

I'll keep an eye out - both for other books like this, and for more suggestions from others!

message 13: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Poppy--Thx! I'll check them out.