Horror Aficionados discussion

Bizarro and Splatterpunk > Shatnerquake

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Has anyone read this? I thought it was pretty funny. It is only 80 something pages and is about Shatner being pitted against all the characters he has played during a Shatner convention.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments My husband is a ST geek, so he might enjoy this one. Is it well written?

message 3: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Tressa wrote: "My husband is a ST geek, so he might enjoy this one. Is it well written?"

I thought it was. It is just damn short.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm going to look into buying it. I'm trying to get a good bizarro collection started for my home library.

message 5: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Tressa wrote: "I'm going to look into buying it. I'm trying to get a good bizarro collection started for my home library."

I have it. What do you want to trade?

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Uh, I still have a box of books I need to schlep over to the post office and mail to you. Maybe I can do that Saturday before going to the river. How does that sound? A box of books for one little bizarro?

message 7: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Tressa wrote: "Uh, I still have a box of books I need to schlep over to the post office and mail to you. Maybe I can do that Saturday before going to the river. How does that sound? A box of books for one little ..."

Sounds fine to me. GR mail me your address today and I'll try to get it right out.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments William, got Shatnerquake yesterday and started it last night since it's such a slender book.

I'm loving it! It's hard for books to make me laugh a lot during the read, and this one has. Can't wait for my husband to read it. He's a ST fan but not one who would attend a convention dressed up.

Love the Bruce Campbellians. And the stilted, pausing way Shatner talks in the book, just like his acting.

We've had some discussions at HA about bizarro books and the lack of editing. I actually think the few mistakes I've seen are endearing. Anyone seen Cathy Bates in Misery?

message 9: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Tressa wrote: "William, got Shatnerquake yesterday and started it last night since it's such a slender book.

I'm loving it! It's hard for books to make me laugh a lot during the read, and this one has. Can't wai..."

I liked the pausing in the speech as well. I even read it like that. Have you met the Bruces yet? I thought that was funny as well.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, I met the Bruces. And the guy who paid a lot of money to look and sound like a younger Shatner. Love the Natalie character, too.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments William, you'll be glad to know I mailed off your box of books today by priority mail. Thanks for Shatnerquake. It'll go good in my bizarro collection.

message 12: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Just now catching onto what this book is about! LOL! Anybody know how hard it is to find...without having a box of books to send to William?

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Luckily you won't have to do William any favors. Amazon has 12 new and 4 used starting around $9 and $7.

"You'll...laugh...till...you...cry," promises William Shatner.

message 14: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I love William Shatner! I may have to check this out!

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It...is...very...funny..., Shelli.

message 16: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments I forgot about this. Dang it. Christmas wish list time.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Carl, Help! A Bear is Eating Me is funny, too.

message 18: by Garrett Cook (new)

Garrett Cook | 35 comments If you liked Help! A Bear is eating me, check out Rampaging Fuckers..., Mykle Hansen's collection of novellas. It's one of my favorite Bizarro books. Shatnerquake was great. Jeff Burk has been a real boon to Bizarro, with his contributions to running Eraserhead Press, his editing The Magazine of Bizarro Fiction (wholeheartedly recommended, and subscriptions are pretty damn cheap)and the bridge into geek culture that Shatnerquake built. Can't wait to see what he has lined up next.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rampaging Fuckers looks good. Wonder if my library has it? Thanks for the suggestion.

message 20: by Garrett Cook (new)

Garrett Cook | 35 comments If you do not live in Portland or on Neptune, I think an ILL might be in order.

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments My library would never buy that book. We couldn't even add The Menstruating Wall to our collection. Thanks for the reminder to look on ILL.

message 22: by Garrett Cook (new)

Garrett Cook | 35 comments I lucked out and sold a copy of Murderland part 1 to my public library, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be receptive to most other Bizarro books, with the possible exception of Eckhard Gerdes' work (obviously literary), Jeremy Shipp's or maybe Andersen Prunty's Zerostrata or Jack and Mr.Grin.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments We're having some trouble getting two of Shipp's books into our collections. There aren't many "professional" reviews of bizarro books, and our outdated collection management system uses that as a guideline. It's really absurd. It's a new genre, book publishing has changed, and we need to get with the times.

message 24: by Garrett Cook (new)

Garrett Cook | 35 comments He was on the Stoker prelim ballot.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Garret. I just passed this info. on to my boss. Shipp's two books are on our catalog as suppressed records, meaning the public doesn't know they're available. I'm on reserve for them but am not sure they'll even be added to our collection.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

You know I bought this book quite awhile ago & keep forgetting to read it. I remembered I had it when I saw the title :)

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Shatnerquake is hilarious. Enjoy. :)

Oh, and don't forget to read Help! A Bear is Eating Me. I laughed all the way through that book.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool, when i find a cheap copy.. It'll be on my list :)