Paper & Glam Book Club discussion

Glam Archives | 2018 > August 2018: All The Ugly & Wonderful Things

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
This month we're reading "All The Ugly & Wonderful Things" which has been dubbed a modern day beauty and the beast. It's dark and it's deep, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

message 2: by Love, J (new)

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments I am a little over 50% done with this book and all I can say is “What in the entire world?!?” Please tell me someone has started. I need to talk about this.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Mannino | 6 comments I read this last year and really liked it. I thought it was so well done! Feel free to msg me to chat so we don’t give any spoilers in the group feed!

message 4: by Leane (new)

Leane I love this book! Thank you to whoever suggested putting this on the reading list!

message 5: by Love, J (new)

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments I can’t stop listening

message 6: by Love, J (new)

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments I finished it. Holy smokes! I can’t wait to discuss it with you all.

message 7: by Tanelle (new)

Tanelle Nash I have no words right now.

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Ashley | 4 comments Did people know what the subject matter of the book was when they picked it up? Once I knew, I passed.

message 9: by Leane (new)

Leane Darcy wrote: "Did people know what the subject matter of the book was when they picked it up? Once I knew, I passed."

I didn't. I read some reviews half way through and saw how triggered people were about it. There is a LOT more to it than the controversial subject matter. I know it's not for everyone but I thought it was a fantastic book.

message 10: by Love, J (new)

Love, J (jennem) | 52 comments With the book club picks, I just dive right in. It wasn’t until after I started reading that I looked up the synopsis - when I couldn’t figure out where the book was going. I finished the books and then read the reviews. I see why ppl were upset, I was upset. Having read the book, there is so much more to it. It’s really hard to explain.

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Bailey (deannabailey) | 8 comments Yes yes this book is fantastic. I read it last year but I’m giving it a re read for book club.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hitchcock (burningblueskies) I’ve been holding off reading this since I got it for Christmas! I’ll start it later in the month. I’m very excited, this is the first book club month that I will be able to attend live.

message 13: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 18 comments I'm on page 239 and yikes! Yikes is all I can really say about this without revealing anything substantive about the book. I'm anxious to finish the book before the book club live stream and to jump back on here to see what people thought of the book. Hopefully, a thread can be started to discuss this book for people who have finished reading it.

message 14: by Leilani (new)

Leilani Marty I just can't do it. For a book about pedophilia to be normalized by being equated to "Beauty and the Beast" makes me cringe. I'm very surprised and upset about a book like this chosen for this book club.

message 15: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 18 comments Leilani wrote: "I just can't do it. For a book about pedophilia to be normalized by being equated to "Beauty and the Beast" makes me cringe. I'm very surprised and upset about a book like this chosen for this book..."

I’m not sure if, prior to this book being chosen, it was known that it was about pedophila. The blurb in the book wouldn’t necessarily lead one to believe that it was largely about this sort of relationship. That said, I’m curious to find out what, if anything, was known about this book prior to it being chosen for the book club. Like you, I can’t wrap my head around this sort of relationship being normalized. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to scream when Kellen questioned whether it was wrong to have the feelings he had for Wavy. Long and short answer, yes Kellen, it’s wrong.

I’m looking forward to the book club discussion to find out what others thought of the book. My rating for this book is definitely affected by its subject matter.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachel-writes) | 1 comments Sorry, but a modern day Beauty & the Beast is such a wrong description for this book, in my opinion. It’s so not that. And I definitely think it’s gives people the wrong idea.

Although this book is disturbing it’s also really good. I really enjoyed it when I read it last year. It’s definitely not for everyone and you should definitely know what you’re getting into before reading it.

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Ashley | 4 comments I am curious as to why a publisher would encourage this misdirection.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (drkt) | 8 comments Let me start by saying I do not condone the relationship between Wavy and Kellen in the least.

But... this book was so well written and compelling. It is a book that makes one think... think about how situations change outcomes for the good or bad. It makes you think about what could have been different or how conversations and perceptions could have changed the outcome.

Kellen was clearly an outcast from society, and the social environment he was in gave him no true moral guidance - in fact encouraged him in his missteps. And to clarify, he was not predatory; this is not pedophilia (let’s stop getting hung up on that). I don’t think anyone can fault Wavy - she was a child who had no adult in her life guiding her and showing her the way. She clung to what she could. Her aunt never tried to talk to her and was never a consistent part of her life and didn’t want to be a guiding force until it was too late. No one in this book helped the situation and only worked to make it worse. It was not just Kellen at fault - it was everyone. The fact that Greenwood could write in such a way to make you feel for Wavy and Kellen, during what is difficult to stomach topic, is a testament to her writing.

Yes, the relationship between a child and an adult is wrong. But instead of focusing on that, I think it’s more important to think about what this books means and open up conversations on how each character affected the story. It’s important to understand what the book makes you feel but also that it exists to stretch the reader outside their comfort zone.

I think someone asked earlier if this was put on the list without someone knowing what it was about. I may be wrong (Lisamarie correct me if I am), but I believe each book was picked by a book chatter who had read the book prior to suggesting it.

Needless to say, I’m really looking forward to discussing this one with the group.

message 19: by Leane (new)

Leane Kate wrote: "Let me start by saying I do not condone the relationship between Wavy and Kellen in the least.

But... this book was so well written and compelling. It is a book that makes one think... think abou..."

Love how you explained this!

I know there are going to be people tonight that are only going to look at it one way (usually those who feel we should all be open minded) and not look behind that one topic.

I absolutely agree with you that the feelings felt for both Wavy and Kellen are such a testament to Greenwood's writing!

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Ashley | 4 comments To me this book is a compelling demonstration of grooming. The activities are rationalized and romanticized. The child's background creates the opening or vulnerability of the target. The child demonstrates the "wanting". The pedophile does not view himself as a pedophile etc. It's a demonstration of how the parties in the play each play out the roles of adult perpetrator and the child victim. And it all sucks you in, which is how pedophilia can occur in life. It happens within relationships. Even with the ending- they are still not in an equal relationship- he is still significantly different level of life experience- the ending is the finale of justifying the skewed dynamics of the relationship- making it all "right".(Taking a page from the headline story about Mary Kay Letourneau? aka- it was not pedophelia, our love was different and stood the test of time, so now we are getting married when everyone is legal age.)

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakaye) I waited for some time before I talked about this book. I do not see this as a book of pedophilia and think that rationalization is ridiculous. In Biblical times older men took children as their brides. Hundreds of years ago it was still going on in both civilized and uncivilized societies. In America we tend to be a bit more 'closed minded'. My husband was 18 years older than me. Granted, I was not dating him when I was 13, but still people talked about him robbing the cradle. We spent more than 30 years together before his death four years ago. I wish I would have met him long before I did. Would have saved me from years of heartache at the hand of a much younger husband. I think Kellen was 'younger' in his mind. He was certainly not a grown man in thinking. Yet, he was taken advantage of by older men who put him into situations because of his size to protect them. Poor little Wavy needed someone in her life. Someone to love her and to care for her. One of the things I most loved about my husband, and he loved about me, was that we came from "different levels of life experiences". Wavy and Kellen waited until she was of legal age to marry. I am glad they found each other. And hopefully their lives will be long and well lived. Greenwood certainly wrote a very compelling book. I am better for having read it.

message 22: by Leane (new)

Leane Paula wrote: "I waited for some time before I talked about this book. I do not see this as a book of pedophilia and think that rationalization is ridiculous. In Biblical times older men took children as their br..."

I wish Goodreads had a like button, Paula.
Great observations and I love hearing another point of view.

message 23: by Darcy (last edited Aug 31, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

Darcy Ashley | 4 comments Hopefully, the takeaway from the book will be more compassion and understanding for girls and boys who are groomed vs blame/ complicity in the events. The power dynamic does not favor them as children, yet they will age into adulthood, to make their own sense of their history and decisions for the future.

I picked up this quote from the author in a Huffpost interview: "I feel more resolved to continue writing stories that reflect the experiences of people who’ve lived through unpretty things. "

message 24: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mickeymisa) | 17 comments Leana hit nail on the head. Paula that was a great review and said perfectly. I too tried to like your review. I throughly enjoyed this book even though everytime I described it to people they turned their noses up and looked at me like I was crazy for even reading it. I too hope Wavy and Kellen lived a long happy life together. I think they are both better people for having been with each other.

Good Reads get a like button LOL