Reading 1001 discussion

The Woodlanders
This topic is about The Woodlanders
1001 book reviews > The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 5 stars

Thomas Hardy charms me. (What I really want to say is that he slays me, but I hate the word and cannot find another.) He is witty, clever and smart. He writes about places in a way that lets me be there with his characters. He writes about characters who are flawed, sometimes awful human beings, but we care about them. He is a feminist who loved the women he wrote. He takes my heart, pulls it from my chest, stomps on it, and I LIKE it! He makes me feel all the feels. He makes me think. I love his books so much! (So much that I lose all ability to review because I have no vocabulary accessible to me. It is so strange... less than 10% of my reviews are 5 stars and every time I write one of them I lose my words.)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4109 comments Mod
Read 2014; The third book by Thomas Hardy for me. I like his writing. This one is set in the Woodlands and involves people who make money from the timber industry. Giles has been led to believe that he and Grace will be husband and wife but Grace’s father backs out and convinces himself that his daughter needs to marry up and not beneath herself. Grace has been educated in boarding schools. This story is very much like a modern day soap opera. Grace marries the doctor, the doctor is unfaithful. Grace wants a divorce but is denied it. The doctor returns to her, she rejects him but he doesn’t give up. This book doesn’t have the same amount of tragedy found in his other books but still it is enjoyable.

Diane  | 2042 comments 4+ stars

Another solid and beautifully written book by Hardy, and reputedly his favorite. As all of his novels, this one is set in a small community the fictional region of Wessex, England (based upon his home environs). It delves into common Victorian era themes concerning the difficulties of love across social classes and the consequences of one's marriage choices. Overall, terrific character development, gorgeous imagery, and a great plot. Hardy does a fantastic job of showing the growth of the characters as the novel progresses. As with other Hardy novels, (view spoiler),

George P. | 486 comments What an amazing wordsmith Hardy was, and what was really amazing was that he didn't give the impression that he was making a great effort to be so articulate with his very erudite vocabulary. I got the impression that he needed to make very few corrections to his draft, though that likely probably wasn't the case. The Woodlanders, like his other novels I have read, also has a very good story that kept me wondering what was going to happen to the characters (and who was going to die, as at least one character generally does in a Hardy story it seems).