readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Quirky/untraditional romance recs?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Beatrice Longbottom | 8 comments Hi! I'd love some recommendations for contemporary romance novels with untraditional or quirky characters (or plot). All recs greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Liked: Carrie Pilby

Dislike: Nicholas Sparks-style

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 189 comments Do you like Nora Roberts? I think a lot of her heroines are quirky types. I especially liked Hidden Riches

You might also like Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle. One of my favorites is Family Man. Another good one with a quirky heroine & plot is Absolutely, Positively.

message 3: by Claire (last edited Jul 27, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

Claire Cross (clairecross) | 39 comments Here you go! The Rosie Project The Rosie Project, The Rosie Effect The Rosie Effect, and Crazy Rich Asians Crazy Rich Asians
Happy Reading!

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenalikesbooks) | 95 comments The description of Carrie Pilby made me think Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine might be a good fit even though it's not strictly a romance.

For pure romance goodness, try:

Trade Me, which does really interesting and unusual things with the billionaire romance trope.

Blank Spaces, which has a really nontraditional romance plot--m/m with one character who's asexual and sex-averse and one who is really into sex with strangers. But they fall in love and make it work.

I've heard amazing things about The Kiss Quotient but haven't gotten to it yet.

message 5: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (spoulter22) | 23 comments All the ugly and wonderful things was an unusual love story, and I think 11/22/63 by Stephen king is a wonderful love story. Both of these books are some of my absolute favorites.

Beatrice Longbottom | 8 comments Wow, thank you everyone! What a wonderful list of books to get me started!

message 7: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Beatrice Longbottom wrote: "Wow, thank you everyone! What a wonderful list of books to get me started!"

Eligible was a lot of fun and pretty quirky. (don't worry about the book being #4 in the austen series; it is a stand-alone story.)

Be Frank With Me was also an enjoyable book with a good quirk factor.

Beatrice Longbottom | 8 comments ^Thanks Jennifer!

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 36 comments I was just going to suggest The Rosie Project but saw someone beat me to it. “Quirky” is exactly what I said after reading it! I generally dislike chick lit, but I really enjoyed this one. It’s ‘quirky’ and sweet.