Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

A Pie to Die for (Bakery Detectives #1)
This topic is about A Pie to Die for
23 views
Archive - Group Reads > A Pie to Die for by Stacey Alabaster (spoilers) - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Aug 09, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Gem  | 1245 comments Mod
Hello fellow Cozy Mystery readers! This discussion is about A Pie to Die for (Bakery Detectives #1) by Stacey Alabaster, your host is Jenny.
___________________________________________
Information about Spoilers

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
___________________________________________
A Pie to Die for (Bakery Detectives #1) by Stacey Alabaster

Summary

Rachael will do anything to protect her bakery from the evil Bakermatic Baked Goods Company, but does that include murder?

When a food critic dies after sampling a pie from Rachael’s Bakery, she is quickly labeled the prime suspect. When the police doubt her story of innocence, she has no choice but to find the real killer. With carefree best friend, Pippa, Rachael sets out on a mission to save her bakery, but it could ultimately cost her and her best friend everything.


message 2: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Aicher | 6 comments Hi, I liked the book, super fast read, but because it was so short, not a ton of character development. Plus, I am a firm believer in Kindle Unlimited, so I have a hard time paying for books. I won't buy more, though I am sure I would also enjoy them!


message 3: by Lynn (last edited Aug 01, 2018 12:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 15 comments I liked the book too, but agree it lacked character development and a solid backstory for the lead character, Rachael. We know next to nothing about her even after reading a whole book about her. I am super bummed too that its not available on Kindle Unlimited. I had a free trial this month and would have liked to have been able to use it on this book haha

It was a fast read indeed. I plowed right through it. I thought it had some fun and funny moments like the girls being caught hiding at Bakermatic after pulling a B&E. Though Jackson's handling of the fall-out of that "lawlessness" was definitely unrealistic.

Speaking of Jackson, it's clear that a romance is brewing with Rachael but I am not invested in them as a couple because Jackson is written as a cardstock character: he's a slightly arrogant but attractive police officer. We don't know anything about him either.

The writer has some work to do I think on world-building but overall, it was a fun reading experience that helped me forget my problems for an hour and I appreciate that so much! Reading is supposed to be an escape and this was for me so mission: accomplished :)


Jenny (diggensjenny) Jennifer wrote: "Hi, I liked the book, super fast read, but because it was so short, not a ton of character development. Plus, I am a firm believer in Kindle Unlimited, so I have a hard time paying for books. I won..."


Sorry, Jennifer, you did not enjoy this book. I hope Jennifer the next book you read is better.


Jenny (diggensjenny) Dlyn wrote: "I liked the book too, but agree it lacked character development and a solid backstory for the lead character, Rachael. We know next to nothing about her even after reading a whole book about her. I..."

I agree with you Dlyn "A Pie To Die For" is a fantastic book to forget about the problems you are having that day.


message 6: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Aicher | 6 comments Jenny wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Hi, I liked the book, super fast read, but because it was so short, not a ton of character development. Plus, I am a firm believer in Kindle Unlimited, so I have a hard time paying..."

I am sorry if it seemed as though I didn't enjoy it! I just didn't enjoy the lack of KU. If the series was on there, I would probably read quite a few of them. Sometimes this size is the perfect thing for an evening!


Lynn | 15 comments I just noticed the complete 15-book series of Bakery Detectives was on sale for $2.99 on Amazon. I decided to buy it lol I'll let you all know how the rest of the books are! :)

Thanks for suggesting this read. I really needed the escape.


Jenny (diggensjenny) Dlyn wrote: "I just noticed the complete 15-book series of Bakery Detectives was on sale for $2.99 on Amazon. I decided to buy it lol I'll let you all know how the rest of the books are! :)

Thanks for suggesti..."


Thanks, Dlyn.


Jenny (diggensjenny) Jennifer wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Hi, I liked the book, super fast read, but because it was so short, not a ton of character development. Plus, I am a firm believer in Kindle Unlimited, so I have a ha..."

I am surprise that this book is not on KU. Jennifer, if you like you can nominated cozy mysteries titles that are on KU.


message 10: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Aicher | 6 comments Just wanted to say that I got the 15 book set also, and I love them! I just wanted a little more from the first one, and this has given it to me. I do wish she would figure something out with the police detective though. I am about halfway through, so maybe 7 or 8 books into it? Great plot lines!


Jenny (diggensjenny) Jackson does seem to be an afterthought for Stacey in this series. However, could Jackson character be someone that Rachael can lean on to keep her in check?


Kirsten  (kmcripn) I liked this book, though it was a bit short. It was a good read when you are trying to stay out of the smoke.

I liked the characters and they didn't overdo the baker as detective theme. (No recipes!! Yay!!) I also like the romantic interest.


Ninna | 32 comments I liked this book just fine. I did notice it kinda glossed over info just to get to the story plot lines but sometimes I like a fun, easy read that isn't too involved. I look at them as "little truffles" - a sweet treat that is especially nice after a long, difficult book. I also bought the whole series from Amazon for the $2.99 so I figured I would get more back story as it goes on so now I can sprinkle these fun reads in between the several 800 page reads I have on my TBR list. Perfect!


Jenny (diggensjenny) Ninna wrote: "I liked this book just fine. I did notice it kinda glossed over info just to get to the story plot lines but sometimes I like a fun, easy read that isn't too involved. I look at them as "little tru..."

I love it Ninna - "little Truffles" - a perfect description of this book and the series. Great way to unwind after a bad day.


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

A Pie to Die for (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stacey Alabaster (other topics)