NCSP Book Club discussion

Suggestions for Meeting Format?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelico (new)

Angelico Razon | 5 comments Mod
Any thoughts on how to structure the book discussion once we actually pick a book? A couple of non-exclusive ideas:
- Video conference call - google hangouts, skype, others?
- Webinar where two to three people discuss the book while others log in to via chat
- Someone helps to moderate the discussion
- Something to coincide with the national meeting?
- Discussion board comments on the board where people can post questions beforehand
- Invite a faculty discussant?
- Thoughts to make this truly interprofessional? Invite other interested individuals to sit in on the discussion?

message 2: by Etsemaye (new)

Etsemaye | 4 comments Mod
I think given schedules and time zone differences, I think discussion board comments might be easiest.

message 3: by Angelico (new)

Angelico Razon | 5 comments Mod
I was talking to Kirstin, who had a couple ideas for a discussion format that we could try. Members could take turns being a discussion moderator. The moderator would select a book, one that they've already read, but is hoping to do a deeper dive into (alternatively, is reading for the first time but wants to do a very close reading). The moderator would then pose questions, lead the reflection, research on some background context, etc. for each of the sections of a book over some period of time.

One goal of this would be to have a very invested moderator who would essentially "teach" their book. Group members would hopefully get a richer experience in their reading just by "going along for the ride?" The group could collect these into an interprofessional curriculum.

Thoughts? Tweaks? Other ideas?

message 4: by Etsemaye (new)

Etsemaye | 4 comments Mod
Angelico wrote: "I was talking to Kirstin, who had a couple ideas for a discussion format that we could try. Members could take turns being a discussion moderator. The moderator would select a book, one that they'v..."

I LIKE IT!