What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Kids(?) book, time travel to English civil war

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Hargreaves | 2 comments Hi

Cannot find this anywhere! I remember a book from my childhood where a group of kids visit or move into a house with a painting on the wall of the English civil war. They stand and look at it, and are transported back in time and have lots of adventures.

Anyone help with the title/author? I’d love to revisit it. I read it as a kid, probably mid-80s onwards.

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Buchli | 41 comments The House of Arden by E. Nesbit? The House of Arden (Fabian Time Fantasies, #1) by E. Nesbit

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Hargreaves | 2 comments Thanks for the suggestion. Just read a synopsis, and it’s not quite right.

In the one I’m thinking of I think there’s a family move to a new town, and the kids go to visit (possibly Grandparents’ house), and there’s this painting of the civil war which they stare into and end up transported back in time. They have all sorts of adventures, including meeting Oliver Cromwell, I think, and then somehow end up back staring at the picture again. As I recall, it’s made out that it was all a daydream, but one of the kids finds something in his pocket (small rock, coin, or something) to indicate it was all real!