Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Monthly Book Reads > Book Nominations: August

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new)

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) | 1797 comments Mod
The theme for August is...

School!

Please have all nominations either be focused around a school or have a school-related word in the title. (Or another way to incorporate school, just run it by me first.)

message 2: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new)

The Inventor's Secret is a great one. Focused around a school.

The Testing is focused around a testing for a school, so I'm gonna count it. It's one of my favorites.

The School for Good and Evil is on my to-read list. I don't know if it's actually focused around a school, but it has school in the title, so.

message 3: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new)

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
I hope I'm not too late! I'll look right now!

message 4: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new)

Okay, this one is a little juvenile, but it is one of my favorite middle school books, The Report Card, and it would make for some really cool discussions, I think.

Matilda is a classic. Again, a bit of a juvenile read, but it's still excellent. Um, she attends a school and much of the conflict of the book revolves around her being...different.

OH MY GOSH! I VOTE Princess Academy!!!!!! This would be PERFECT! Especially since we just did The Goose Girl! And, this is about a group of mountain girls being forced to attend an academy to determine the next princess of the lands!

message 5: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new)

Also, The Storybook of Legends is about a school where students learn to be villains and heroes in classic fairy tale stories to keep their world alive. It was pretty good.

Game Changer is about an alternate universe in which sports are held above academics and academics are after school activities.

And, lastly, Bridge to Terabithia has a lot to do with schools and bullies and overcoming them, and fostering creativity and true friendships. Another classic!

(I totally have "too school for cool" stuck in my head now XD i.e. Pink Raise Your Glass)

message 6: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (new)

Oh so many good ones! (Nope, I'm about to make the poll.) I read the Report Card when I was younger and loved it. I haven't read Matilda or Bridge to Terabithia, but I've heard of both. Storybook of Legends and Game Changer are both new to me. PRINCESS ACADEMY WAS A FAVORITE OF MINE WHEN I WAS YOUNGER!! I USE TO LOVE THAT BOOK! Ok done yelling.

message 7: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new)

Same author as The Goose Girl and Storybook of Legends. (Storybook of Legends was contracted through Matel-the Barbie company-and she wrote the three books that set up the series and multiple authors have written portions since.) OH! Did you know Princess Academy had two sequels?!?!

Matilda and Terabithia are both such great reads. Storybook and Game Changer were good, but not my favs. Though, Storybook did have a really neat storyline that developed over Hale's original trilogy.

message 8: by Catherine, Blazing Reader (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

I recently found out about that!! I need to read them!!

Good to know.

message 9: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new)

Catherine wrote: "I recently found out about that!! I need to read them!!

Good to know."

Yeah, the sequels were pretty good :-) Not nearly as good as the first, of course, but they were great reads.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.